Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JVC LT-37DS6 buzzing big time

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by nh3com, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    first set arrived a week last friday and i noticed a buzz after a couple of days when i changed the backlight settings from 100%. so i told the company i got it from and after a while they agreed to set someone out, if the buzz was deemed a fault a replacement set would be handed over. so this morning the guy came and checked out my set, he confirmed that the buzz was way to loud.

enter new set, after setting it up i changed the backlight and there we go again the buzz is back.. 2 faulty sets i dont think so..

if anyone out there is thinking about buying one of these then i would steer clear unless you like the JVC added buzz feature.

2. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to hear that - Maybe a duff batch that the retailer received?

3. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Where did u buy it from?

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The moral of this story is if it ain't broke don't fix it. My electrical equipment has never let me down in 35 years, why? because I never mess with it. Why mess with the backlight, if the PQ was not to your liking when you auditioned it why on earth buy it.

5. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    could be but i'm just going to get my money back

6. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    More to the point, Faust, why have an adjustable backlight if, as you say, you're not supposed to alter it?

Anyway the moral of the tale is that if you can't alter adjustable settings without the TV going "wrong" then the TV itself is most certainly faulty... ;)

7. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sound and vision

8. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    different lighting conditions, during the day full backlight is fine but at night it's far to bright

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Is it buzzing from the electronics at the rear of the set or from the speakers?

10. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers always make a bit of noise, very strange...but the buzzing coming from the right side of the screen (if you stand if front of it) at least, that's where i can hear a bit of it when i stand right on top of it. It's totally inaudible when sitting 1 meter away from it...and at 2.5 meters even less. You must have a faulty batch indeed.

11. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    actually both, the buzz is coming from the back. when the hdmi cable is connected then you can hear a hiss from both speakers.

LOL the hdmi on this set doesn’t make a difference the hiss (more like a whistle) is there all the time.

12. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    nh3com, clearly you have a backlight buzz that the Hitachi ld7200 suffers from. I have no personel experience of the JVC but had a Panasonic for a few days that buzzed a very small amount but nowhere near the Hitachi I have now. Oddly enough I have an engineer coming out today to check out my set. If you've had two sets and they both buzz when you turn down the backlight then either 1: you've been very unlucky 2: Your hearing reaches a little higher than most 3: You have just adjusted the backlight more than most. But in no way for that sort of cash should you put up with something you're unhappy with.

Daz

13. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the JVC LT-26DS6 & mine also whistles :rolleyes: very annoying, this is actually my replacemt set (was hoping the 1st one was dodgey, but obviously not)
    I think I’ll try to get a replacement TV or a different one as it makes movies unwatchable it’s that load…. Good old JVC.

14. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh and the sound comes from the speakers and not the backlight

15. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First thing I thought was Hitachi ld7200 problem here we go. Out of the three options I would say 1 and 3 but I think I’ll find that 3 is going to be the winner.

anyone that’s listened to the tv says they can hear it and for this sort of money you shouldn't

i went to currys this morning to see if i could hear it on there sets, they only had the 32" version and there was an aircon unit above. i changed the backlight, i put my ear right next to it and i couldn’t hear anything. the aircon unit was very loud though.

i just think that jvc hasn’t done there testing on this set and when the backlight is dropped the buzz appears. it's a shame really as i like the picture. I went back to my old jvc 32" crt the other day and I just couldn’t watch it, the picture was so small and crap I couldn’t believe it.

The whistling speakers, it's really strange it comes and goes when it feels like. Been watching contact this afternoon and no whistle

S&V said they will send an engineer out don’t know why as the bloke who dropped off the replacement set agreed with me that the buzz is unacceptable. Hey I guess they don’t want me to have a refund but I think it's time to give another manufacturer ago.

16. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    If more TV's had a sensor on the front of the TV that measure the ambient light, like the Panny amongst others, then there wouldn't be any need to mess with a back light

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    And this is progress how? I cannot believe that with all the marvels of technology in the 21st Century one has now got to alter the televisions light settings for day or night operation - :D This is a wind up right? And just how much does this product cost? I must make a mental note to scratch that one from my list of possibles.

18. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is silent :thumbsup:

19. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    knowley - Have you used anything via the HDMi socket yet? Because mine whistles big time on HDMi

20. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet, was thinking about using DVI->HDMI cable for the pc instead of a VGA cable.

edit: oh and I have the 32 inch, sorry didn't read the title properly :suicide:

21. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    think it happens on any connection, on the new set it does. only lasts about 5 to 10 minutes though which is strange.

did i see that right somone has a 37" with no buzz when changing the backlight? if thats true i might try another set

22. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have the 37 and (touch wood) have no buzz with the back light adjusted. In fact its permanently on very low/almost nothing. Have yet to try HDMI yet...will check out my HD950 via HDMI to check for whistle.

23. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: I've tried a HDMI connection from the PC and didn't notice any noise. Although thing was only during the PC bootup because I've failed to configure something properly which means windows gives me a blank screen. I assume this is driver related cause until windows loads my ATI drivers everything is fine.

24. Grangey

Grangey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the buzzing on a JVC PD-42DX6BJ, also from Sound & Vision. I'm on my third set, with this third set just back from JVC 'for repair'. It's very noticeable even when volume on TV is louder than normal listening volumes. Even more noticeable when on the TiVo 'Now Playing' screen, with no programme volume. I've asked for a refund/change of manufacturer (was going in the shop for Hitachi 42PD7200, which I have now asked for).

Very disappointed in this, having spent all that money.....

25. Somersett

Somersett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where exactly is the backlight adjustment on the LT37DS6?

26. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in the menu, screen adjustments, brightness 1 is the backlight. Try using a THX optimizer to get the best out of this screen. The only thing i change during the day is backlight from 80% to 10% (in the evenings). I don't get any extra buzz on the lcd screen when changing backlight, unlike my computer screen which does it horribly.

27. Somersett

Somersett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. I was wondering what the difference was between the Brightness 1 and Brightness 2 settings. Virtually all of my viewing is early evening/night and I have already reduced the Brightness 1 setting although not as low as 10%. No obvious buzzing that I can hear.

I am still playing around with the set in order to get the best picture possible. Any settings you would recommend I try?

28. shreddedbeef

shreddedbeef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone receive a refund from Sound & Vision for the buzzing fault. I have the same buzzing sound and had a replacement. Sound & Vision say they have checked original and there is no buzzing sound, which there is. They say their engineer put an ear to the unit but could not hear anything! They now want to charge me.