JVC Lt-32DS6B. Help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by JD+C, Nov 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JD+C

JD+C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening!

Last week I had the 32in JVC delivered. After a weekend of use I'm not sure all is well.

As per the Panasonic post, there is a huge difference in brightness/contrast when viewed from an angle. Only prob is, when viewed from straight on, its far too dark. I expected my blacks to be a tad grey, but my greys are actually black!!

All sources (RGB Sky, RGB Xbox, Component prog-scan DVD) suffer the same problem. With the DVD you can obviously amend the brightness at the input end on the player, but this is skirting the problem. Only certain games have a brightness slider in the options.

For example, Halo 2 is unplayable in the darker levels. As is Far Cry, but that has a brightness slider so can be "fixed".

Bright colours are fine. Whites are searing, but anything slightly darker is VERY dark.

Tried all settings of backlight, brightness 2, contrast, colour. Have toggled all the DIST functions to no avail, so its not overactive "enhancement".

Just wanted confirmation from fellow owners (or anyone with more knowledge than me!! :hiya: ) as to whether "they all do that sir". If so, I have a few days to return under distance selling etc etc. If it sounds like a one-off backlight prob or something, I'll get a replacement.

I'm not particularly picky. Just seems very odd that the optimum viewing position for a decent HD LCD is 30degrees off to either side.

Any help/advice gratefully received. :lease:

Cheers

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The What Video & TV magazine review stated that you can't tell the difference between some shades of the same colour ie black/grey on Page 2 of their review.

Have a read:

Page 1
    http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=feii2s

Page 2
    http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=feiirt

I was thinking of getting this set but am not so sure if the problem is as bad as you say it is and is not actually a fault with your set.

3. JD+C

JD+C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have checked witha few people who have this model, or the 26in, on the Xbox360 forums.
    All seem to think there's are fine.

My set seems perfectly capable of very acceptable detail in dark areas, but only if I shuffle into the corner of the room at some bizarre angle to the TV.

Seems like there is nothing in the middle between the superb bright colours and whites, and the muddiness over any tamer colours. I dont think its the same issue as per that review, as sand under a bright blue sky can be quite dull and dark.

Loss of detail in genuine black areas I can handle. I think.

Thanks for links though mate.

Cheers

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    As with all LCDs, the off-axis picture will look different to the picture viewed straight on, but the set will have been aligned with the straight on picture so what you have is a little odd. I've looked at number of DS6 and alignment is usually very good.

I guess it could be a faulty panel but it's not a fault I've ever seen.

5. JD+C

JD+C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the feedback Gary.
    I'll get a replacement delivered and see what happens. Can't imagine its normal as it definately would have been mentioned on this forum and others.
    Quite sure it would have been mentioned in even the most random of reviews. The picture is perfect from above/side, showing that there is impressive detail in even the darkest areas of the picture. Surely it wouldnt be aligned so aggresively so that the wosrts picture would be straight on at eye-level. Would only have purposefully been done to compete with the ever increasing viewing angle claims I would have thought, but not to this extent.
    But I agree it does sound a rather odd fault.

Thanks for the help.