JVC LT-17E31 - opinions

nelliott

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has purchased this tv yet (I know it's only just been released).

Can anyone comment on the picture and sound quality? Does it have component inputs?

Thanks in advance :) .

Picture is very good and sound is good for a small set. It doesn't have component input, only the 26" and the soon to be released 32" have them. It does have PC input and makes an excellent PC monitor.

Gary,

Are you using it as a PC monitor? Can you use it in widescreen mode... if so did you need special drivers for the PC graphics card? My graphics card settings only allow a choice of 4:3 ratios at the moment.

Chris

I don't have one at the moment but I have used several of them extensively, even before it was released. With the Radeon 9800 Pro card in my Mesh PC, it was detected as a PnP monitor and the correct selection of resolutions was offered. I guess this may be different if you have an older or non PnP video card.

Yup, had one since last friday...

Picture quality is the best i've seen on an small LCD yet, you have several preset screen displays which are handy, plenty of inputs, though irritatingly no Component and you can't use very big SCARTs as they touch... as i found out :(

I run my DVD through S Video as a result of the above and although the picture quality isn't quite as sharp as through my top notch SCART it is still excellent.... Sky+ comes through SCART to get auto aspect switching, there is still some fuzziness on text and a slight smearing on high speed movement, but its no worse than any other LCD, in fact its a lot better than most!

Sound is ok, fine for normal TV, but i do have access to a complete Dolby Digital system so it wasn't a major concern... it is certainly ample, has a Hyper Sound system, which is plain odd - it is supposed to simulate Live, but i'm not convinced, it did work well on Top Spin tennis on my Xbox though :)

As for running in VGA, i connected my desktop which is a P2 350Mhz with a Voodoo 2 graphics card, so certainly not modern... i didn't even need to install the monitor, it just displayed fine - the screen is stretched to fit full screen, and it works great.

Highly recommend the unit, especially as its available for £560!

Can anyone tell me if there is any noticeable image lag on this screen? I'm going to be hooking up to an xbox and am worried this may be a problem.

Also, does it support picture-in-picture?

Many thanks.

Can anyone compare to a Panasonic TX15LT2 ? Not much in the price but obviously the JVC is 17inch and has VGA input.

Don't have any experience with the JVC but after a long search I finally took the plunge and bought a Dell 17WS TV. I don't regret it a single moment. I has got every single input you can wish for; composite, s-Video, Scart (RGB), DVI/VGA but most importably for me component inputs that support 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i. Sound quality is more than adequate for daytime tv viewing (my only other reference is my 6.1 setup so that is not really fair...). But image quality, wow absolutely amazing. Perfect with the Xbox, Sky and DVD...Can really recommend it for only 548 delivered...

Decided to take the plunge and ordered one - should arrive this week :).

Well the tv arrived yesterday and I must say I am impressed. The picture is quite stunning via RGB scart, and the aesthetics of the set itself are simply gorgeous - by far the best lookiing 17" LCD on the market.

I have noticed a couple of problems though (aren't there always ), and was hoping someone else with the set could check this out to see if it is a defect or whether this is normal:

- When I turn the 'bright-2' setting down there appears to be an audible buzzing noise which comes from the set. I believe this is the backlight setting and appears that other people have had the same problem on different makes of tv, so its probably more of a 'feature' and I'm not too worried.

- There is an occasional high pitched buzzing / beeping noise coming from the speakers. I think this is related to the picture as it is constant when I load up the xbox dashboard for example (but apart from that its only been very periodic).

I'd be most grateful if anyone with the JVC could check this out for me.

Been wowed by picture quality in the shops, but am worried just how small standard 4:3 TV broadcasts and PS2 games will look on the screen.

I only have a small living room, and a small budget - so 23" is out of the question.

What is the latest thinking on this size of screen.

Is it better to sack picture quality and go for the LG 20" instead?

Originally posted by nelliott
Well the tv arrived yesterday and I must say I am impressed. The picture is quite stunning via RGB scart, and the aesthetics of the set itself are simply gorgeous - by far the best lookiing 17" LCD on the market.

I have noticed a couple of problems though (aren't there always ), and was hoping someone else with the set could check this out to see if it is a defect or whether this is normal:

- When I turn the 'bright-2' setting down there appears to be an audible buzzing noise which comes from the set. I believe this is the backlight setting and appears that other people have had the same problem on different makes of tv, so its probably more of a 'feature' and I'm not too worried.

- There is an occasional high pitched buzzing / beeping noise coming from the speakers. I think this is related to the picture as it is constant when I load up the xbox dashboard for example (but apart from that its only been very periodic).

I'd be most grateful if anyone with the JVC could check this out for me.

I too have the interference sound from the speakers. I thought it was the digibox beong too close to the screen. Be interesting to see what happens if you move the xbox away/any other boxes. Otherwise, I think mine is going back. I tried 6 screens looking for a second screen and everyone had dodgy pixels.

Originally posted by redface
I too have the interference sound from the speakers. I thought it was the digibox beong too close to the screen. Be interesting to see what happens if you move the xbox away/any other boxes. Otherwise, I think mine is going back. I tried 6 screens looking for a second screen and everyone had dodgy pixels.

Thankyou! At least I know I'm not going mad.

I phoned up and told Digital Direct of the problem who said yes, it sounded like a fault and that they would send a replacement and collect the old unit from me at the same time. Replacement arrived last week and guess what - it had the same problem! I've contacted Digital Direct about ths and they say that they tested the original set and couldn't find a problem, so not only will they not take the second tv back, but they are going to charge me 25% of the tv price + delivery fees!!

I have contacted trading standards who have advised me to get a second opinion on the speaker noise, but this is just going to cost more money :( .

Redface can you confirm you have exactly the same problems as I described?

I think so although I played around with it this morning and it seemed better with digibox further away from the speaker. I will do some more tests tonight. Have you tried moving everything away from the screen ? I have a feeling these screens are garbage.

Just get the Dell 17WS LCD TV, fantastic picture quality, faroudja processing (if you like the media hype ;) ). And RGB-Scart AND HDTV capable component inputs 720p and 1080i. And yes the component HDTV inputs even support the PAL-50 signals...

Build quality is fantastic and the suppied stand is not just angle adjustable around four axis but also height adjustable....

And no interference from/to the speakers (they are shielded).

I think you will have a hard-time convincing trading standards as it doesn't sound like a fault, just a cheap design which is easily remedied by not putting anything near it...

Remember how mobile phones interfere with computer monitors, you can actually see the phone-call comming in on the screen before your phone rings. Now is that a fault? It could be argued, but realistically it is not. It just means that the equipment corners have been cut in the design. Maclaren used pure gold in their car to shield and cool the V12 Engine. Now I have got the original V12 in my BMW but I do not have the gold eventhough all the electronics and parts are shielded much better better than any other car...Then when I use midband radio and drive past a lorry the signal is getting a lot of inteference, the lorry is badly shielded. No a fault just a matter of quality used in the build...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

Hi Redface. I haven't tried moving everything away from the tv, but the xbox isn't close (a few feet away), so don't think that's the problem.

Do you get a periodic distortion noise from the speakers (noticeable with music channels when there's alot of noise going on, an also it sometimes 'pops' when changing channels/sources), aswell as the droning when adjusting the backlight?

Originally posted by nelliott
Hi Redface. I haven't tried moving everything away from the tv, but the xbox isn't close (a few feet away), so don't think that's the problem.

Do you get a periodic distortion noise from the speakers (noticeable with music channels when there's alot of noise going on, an also it sometimes 'pops' when changing channels/sources), aswell as the droning when adjusting the backlight?

I think I do. But I also think it only started yesterday so maybe its not just lack of shielding. Im so cheesed off with these rubbish screens. They are a joke

I also got one of these from Digital Direct. Mine also makes noises occasionally, and it isn't close to any other equipment. In addition to this, the bottom left corner of the screen is lighter than the rest of the screen.

The screen also has a huge amount of overscan - presumably because the screen is 16:10. Not happy.

Bought it in John Lewis. Going back. Whats the best replacement ?

Redface: Get the Dell! Does everything you require in an attractive package with superb build/image/sound quality for the price...Mine was delivered within a week.

Originally posted by dejongj
Redface: Get the Dell! Does everything you require in an attractive package with superb build/image/sound quality for the price...Mine was delivered within a week.

Ugly though compared to the JVC.

It looks a lot better in the 'flesh' than the pictures on the Internet. But most importantly it works very well...Remember there is the 7 days no quible money back guarantee as well from Dell...Well in principle from any mail-order company as it is part of the distant selling directive...

But if you don't like the looks then so be it, good luck finding a worthy replacement...

Venkman, Nelliot, have you actually got the JVC's for longer than 7 days? Otherways you should remind the company of the distant selling directive.....

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom