Jvc Laser Projector Ces

Jaseamondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sunnyvale, CA — Novalux, Inc., developer of Necsel™ laser technology, will demonstrate a proof-of-concept JVC home theater laser projector during the 2008 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 7-10 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The demo will illustrate the enhanced image quality Necsel lasers provide when combined with JVC’s proprietary D-ILA® (Digital Direct Drive Image Light Amplifier) high-definition (HD) projection technology.

“We’ve taken JVC’s latest home theater projector, removed the lamp from inside and replaced it with Necsel lasers,” said Greg Niven, Novalux executive vice president of marketing. “What viewers will see is how our lasers are an ideal complement to JVC’s advanced LCOS technology. In the past we’ve shown significant advances in laser TV technology; with this concept demonstration we’ll premiere what we believe will be the next big thing in home theater.”

The demo projector is based on a JVC D-ILA front projector known for its high native contrast ratio. The projector uses a 0.7-inch full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) D-ILA device combined with a high-performance optical engine. For the demo, Novalux replaced the lamp within the optical engine with red, green and blue Necsel lasers. The marriage of D-ILA technology and Necsel lasers further enhanced the projector’s contrast ratio. Necsel technology also provides true laser color and a longer lifetime than the conventional lamp it replaced.

Necsel lasers are slated for use in host of lighting and display devices. These range from laser high-definition projection TVs (HDTVs) to embedded projectors in cell phones and PDAs. The company also recently demonstrated the first laser LCD-TV Back Light Unit (BLU) and prototype laser architectural tube lighting.

In addition to the concept JVC home theater laser projector, Novalux will demonstrate several of its prototype and proof-of-concept technologies during CES 2008 — including the company’s new “Necsel-T” high-power laser module, new green and blue Necsel pico-projection lasers and the latest in laser tube lighting. Novalux will hold the demos from January 7th to 10th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Visits will be by appointment only.

About Novalux
Founded in 1998, Novalux has developed proprietary Necsel laser technology. Necsel technology combines mass volume manufacturability with excellent optical performance. Necsel device attributes include bright, reliable, consistent, speckle-free light output from a compact, low-cost package, making them ideal for current- and next-generation display and lighting applications.

Please guys,

Beg and plead with someone to get an invite to this show over at the mgm grand, I think this is one of the most interesting things i've read about the ces so far.

OMG!!! *faints*

they read my mind/dreams.

they have just lost a sale, no more hd1/100 for me, im saving for one of these suckers! (presuming they bring out a dedicated model which i think they will) thank god as i was only a week away from slapping money down on a hd1! :clap::clap::clap:
:arty:

Maybe still a while of,who knows. Maybe you could still get the hd1 and have it retro fitted with the lasers later, now wouldnt that thrill one or two people on the forums:)

its just the light source thats been replaced though isnt it, which is still rather cool but not a from the ground up design that would give uber contrast etc.

would not JVCs panel still limit the contrast?

Heading in the right direction.

the contrast would improve because when no light is needed the laser simply will not shine on that pixel. whereas currently it has to twist very tight to stop light reflecting (or rotate i think not sure about lcos)

it may well be retrofitted to the hd1/100 but it will mean ripping out some stuff and putting in other stuff, i dont think they could get away with a simple bulb replacement. esspecially as it will probably need control commands to tell it what colours to shine and where to shine it as the prism would still be in place

if it has been done as a prototype at least we know it can be done ,it's the cost thats going to be the killer i would have thought. I would think it highly unlikely that it would become available as a retro fit but if it helps lets all join in a prayer :D:lease:

Looking forward to this tech making production.

However, within hours of the 1st units reaching customers in the US I can just imagine all the threads over at AVS complaining about the over saturated colours, laser rainbows e.t.c e.t.c..

its just the light source thats been replaced though isnt it, which is still rather cool but not a from the ground up design that would give uber contrast etc.

would not JVCs panel still limit the contrast?

Heading in the right direction.

I don't think you understand how laser based light engines work. On/off contrast is essentially infinite. Ie. true zero light output on 0 IRE field. Compared to what's available now, that's a good step towards your uber contrast right there. Wonder how much it would improve ANSI?

I don't think you understand how laser based light engines work. On/off contrast is essentially infinite. Ie. true zero light output on 0 IRE field. Compared to what's available now, that's a good step towards your uber contrast right there. Wonder how much it would improve ANSI?

Its not a light engine. Its only a lamp replacement. Go to AVS for more info.

To achieve the the benefits that posters here are looking for, a scanning system is needed. This, sadly is not it. Its a light source only, nothing else.

It can offer cooler operation, possibly negating fans and providing constant output over the life cycle.

To achieve the the benefits that posters here are looking for, a scanning system is needed. This, sadly is not it. Its a light source only, nothing else.

In that case its not what I was expecting and would have to agree with Gandley.

It can offer cooler operation, possibly negating fans and providing constant output over the life cycle.

Do you know the expected life span and power consumption of the lasers used?

No i fully understand, its only a lamp replacment, not a ,ahem, full laser array (sounds cool saying that) it still has to pass thru the licos panel which is rated at 30000:1 CR.

Mr cold is quite right it needs the scanning fuction etc to be the uber laser projector we all want.

Still a nice step forward if the lumens are there. No dimming with age either i guess, but certainly not the fall off we see with bulbs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom