1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HV28P37SJE Screen Question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andyboy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I am watching through Component Video I can clearly see what appear to be very small black 'dots' on the screen itself and a very feint vertical stripe that is clear of these dots.

Anyone know what it is ? :eek:

2. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah i notice this as well sometimes, i assume its a problem with the dist technology, but it hardly ever comes up.

3. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate - glad it's not a dodgy set cos it'd be a total ballache to replace it what with living on a top floor flat and all ! :thumbsup:

4. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive already had to replace the first one i got, it had some weird horizontal banding at the edges of the screen that would only appear on pal sources. have you noticed any such lines? also i seem to noitice that when watching certan things the tv seems to "over-interlace" the picture and it can look quite blocky and some edges look very pixelated i notice this alot watching chanel 4 news. have you noticed anything like this with yours?

cheers

5. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ via Freeview can vary depending on the channel I am watching and sometimes even the programme itself, for instance I had The Bill on last night and it had a ton of digital noise in the background even with my TV set to max but then I put Sky Sports News on for the footy scores and it was fine.

I read a review of this set (36") that said it is great with top quality sources but not so great with lower quality and I see what they mean but it's a small problem I can live with, it's just this weird spot thing that bugs but I have unplugged it from the mains overnight to see if it's some sort of buidl up that may dissipate.

Fingers crossed !!!!

As for those bands you mentioned, I haven't seen them myself as far as I know but I will take a closer look tonight.

6. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah my main problems are with normal tv, on sertain programs it lookslliek the image is being "extra interlaced" for want of a better explantion. some graphics/logos go very, very pixilated at the edges. i also cant seem to tell much difference when watching prog scan of my pioneer 575, it still looks interlaced to me, have you tried prog scan??

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Solution to 'extra-interlaced' pq of Sky/Freeview is to turn SuperDigipure 'off'. For a few moments it will too soft (after all the edge enhancement, etc. of the Digipure system), but then it will begin to look natural and the over-processed quality disappears.

Re: 575 and prog scan. Sadly, it sounds like you have encountered the dreaded 'flicker' problem with the 575. As an owner of both DVD and TV, I can say that the prog scan pq through PAL is not really much different than interlace - still has flickering edges and jagged horizontal/diagonal lines. If you have R1 stuff, have a look at the difference with NTSC prog scan to NTSC interlace. You should notice that all flickering edges disappear. So, poor PAL prog scan pq through the TV is the DVD player's fault, I'm afraid. For more info, see Raze's entries on the DVD Players forum.

8. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes mate I have and to be honest I can really see a difference in quality but........ the quality depends on wether it's a PAL or NTSC disc because the 575 is not as good with PAL Prog Scan as it is with NTSC.

For instance when I first bought Tears of The Sun (R1) it looked a bit 'liney' like it was missing information from the picture and also the colours could be a bit overbearing but just last night I tried it for a laugh and the difference was startling. All the colours were just right, the picture looked full of details like being able to pick out even the grey hairs in Bruce Willis' beard ! also tried LOTR - FOTR (R2) and this was the best it has EVER looked but I can't help wondering if it would look better if I had the R1 disc.

I have just ordered a Limit DVDA900SE from Play.com @ £99.99 to see if it fares better on PAL Prog Scan because I have heard it's a top quality player with excellent chipset so I will test the same discs and let you know mate.

Just one thing, I set up my TV using the THX Optimizer on my R2 Copy of Aliens Special Edition - try using it if you have discs with on and I reckon you will see the difference. :clap:

9. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the info andy, yeah ive tried the thx setup and my setup seem to be correct. i'll try out somemore ntsc stuff though as it seems that both the 757 and the 28p37 ar both better at ntsc.

10. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Errr - no. In fact, with NTSC prog scan, sadly, the TV displays a picture fault intermittently. This is a line or 'stutter' which travels down the screen. The PQ of the TV in PAL prog scan is better, in that it does not suffer this line. It just needs careful source matching.

I first realised this when I demoed a Tosh 340e I had bought for my brother - Pal Prog scan pic was excellent!!!! No lines/jaggies. However, very feature poor, so decided to try another player - the Panny S97, which is now my main DVD player. Displays excellent PAL and NTSC prog scan pics. This is how I know (a) Pioneer 575 is culprit with flicker (at least with this TV) and (b) the NTSC stutter is not player specific (it happened with the Tosh, and it also happens with the Panny), but something with the TV. Happily, if you use NTSC interlace, no stutter. Or, you can choose to live with it.

It is a weird, technical world out there....

Andyboy - will be interested to hear your view of the Limit. As long as it does not use the same Mediatek chipset as the Pioneer (or has some form of edge reduction/enhancement in its pic options), I'm sure it will be better in PAL prog scan.

11. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barzo - have you ever noticed the effect on the screen I mentioned, sometimes it's not too noticeable but on light backgrounds it can be a bit distracting, I am hoping someone will tell me a way to get rid of it but I reckon I'll get used to it after a while.

Let you know about the Limit soon as, should arrive tomorrow or monday with a bit of luck ! :thumbsup:

12. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    No - I've never seen the effect you have mentioned. Don't know what it could be. Suppose it might be mains noise (I'm using a Belkin mains filter power strip (8 plugs))? Could also be interference from something else - are you using shielded connections, including rf aerial cables?

13. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I need to get some good quality stuff for all that end of the kit, it's just basic stuff really mate. By the way how much was the belkin ?

14. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    From memory, about £70. Steep, but it comes with a lifetime warranty and weighs a tonne, so it all least feels like it should cost a bit! :) Model number is PureAV Isolator Home Theater Surge Protector - 8 Sockets F9G823uk3M.

My leads are QED Qunex P-CV1 (1m) from DVD player to AV amp, and Supra AV3 from amp to TV. I am a firm believer that good quality leads make a difference, but this is always a subject of debate. I see the difference, whether it is there or because I want to see it! :D

15. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Not quite OT, but here goes..

Could someone clear up for me what you mean by this "jagged edges" issue on the Panasonic 575 player? I run dvd's through my modded xbox in progressive scan - perhaps not the height of technology ;) - and I've noticed that for example on menu screens the interactive/moveable option "highlighter" can appear pronouncely jaggy. I just figured this was the sharpness of progressive scan highlighting use of low resolution objects.

Is there a definitive dvd test I can run to ensure that progressive scan is working?

16. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My 28p37 seems to be malfunctioning, i think the DIST technology is messing up as im getting harsh pixilated lines on most things i watch. when i switch to 12 screens mode, the small images it produces are extremely pixelated and i dont remember it being like that before, whats does anyones else's look like in 12 screen mode?