1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HV28P37 - £399 at Allders

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Westender, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just ordered a JVC HV28P37 from Allders in Oxford Street - now only £399 and 5-year warranty.

2. Owain

Owain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah this is that HiDef TV i've been thinking of getting this model.
    Thats a good price too...
    hmmm, can someone link me to some reviews?
    Thanks

3. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sods law I just got mine delivered today from Allders today, paid £499 last saturday for it, i'm gonna ring up allders to see if i can get some money back, feel gutted :(

4. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't feel gutted anymore, rung up allders, they have asked me to go down with my reciept & they will credit me £100 as it is still within the period allowed for returns,Feel good now, top marks to Allders :thumbsup:

5. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There any reviews of this TV anywhere?

6. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Might buy this little beauty

Ace - have you tried any games consoles on this TV? If so whats the picture like?

8. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have the D40 which is basically a leter model but with added freeview stuff.

Pic is great, can be slightly noisy on bad sources (even the integrated DTV) but through progressive scan component in the picture is fantastic.

Plus it's 1080i compatible so hopefully it's more future proof, I still haven't tried my computer through the component in tho. If you have an ATi gfx card you can most likely get their DVI/VGA -> component dongle and output 480i/p and 1080i into it.

9. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    pinkprobegt - Could you post a link to where you got your TV from please? thats if you did buy it online?

Thanks

10. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This is a great tv and now at a great price. Just a shame mine was delivered a week ago at £499.

11. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orwella, if you bought your tv from Allders you will still be able to claim your £100 back, as they have a 28 day returns policy as far as I know. Just ring up and ask about it, I did and got a £100 back. Also "Just Some Ugly", the tv seems fine with games consoles, i just had a few freezing problems with a game movie clip, but then again I think thats down to my old ps, i tried it through a scart. Picture quality was very good.

12. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
  13. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ACE420 - how you getting on with your new HV28P37, getting mine delivered on Friday?

14. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    £100 has been credited back to me. Allders may not have been the cheapest when I ordered 2 weeks ago, but the are now and the customer service is excellent. Cannot recommend them high enough.

15. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good news Orwella, Allders worked out the cheapest & the tv came with a free 5 year warranty aswell :D Westender, my tv is fine, i'm quite happy with it, you need to tweak around with the onscreen menu a bit to get the picture to however you like it, there are plenty of options available. Best thing about it is the remote, few buttons on it as there is an onscreen menu systen for everything.

16. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks ace420

Are you watching programmes vis analogue or digital? I've got a Humax Freeview box.

17. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i watch my programmes via sky

18. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Had my HV28P37 for over a week. Contrary to other owners I seem to be getting a better picture via analogue as opposed to freeview via my Humax F2-FoxT STB. I’ve upgraded my scart leads to some Thor’s and tried watching through both RGB scart sockets but this has made no difference. The poor reception is especially noticeable when watching sport. I was watching some horseracing on Saturday but had to switch to analogue as I couldn’t get a clear picture. Not sure how you describe the poor reception but there was a lot of fuzziness with no sharp edges around the moving images. Had similar experience watching MoTD. If you turn off the extra features such as the super digipure option the picture looks very ‘soft’. Picture quality via my dvd has been fine. I tested the signal via my STB and it showed analogue as 67% but digital at 100%. Anyone else been experiencing any problems with freeview/sky reception?

19. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    What you are seeing are the MPEG artefacts caused by the limited bandwidth of the signals. The TV doesn't know they are artefacts and so tries to process them like a wanted signal. This can make them subjectively more annoying. The ultimate answer is for the broadcasters to allocate more bandwidth, but as long as they value quantity over quality this isn't going to happen. It's just possible that the channels freed up when analogue is switched off will allow this but it's more likely that the government of the day will sell them to phone companies or whatever else makes the most money.

20. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the info. Didn't notice the MPEG artefacts with my old 21" 4:3 Sony. Is this a common fault with a lot of the Widescreen TVs or only those with DIST?

21. custard

custard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just picked up one of these from Allders as well. I'd agree with the other posters, excellent place to do shopping . I have my Humax PVR-8000T (freeview PVR) connected with SVIDEO into scart 3 and had to turn all the digital processing to the minimum to get a good picture. I would say that it is a better picture with DIST on than off though.
    Next purchase a progressive scan DVD recorder.

- Custard

22. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    It's really any set with digital processing. I've seen it on sets from several manufacturers.

23. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Me too. Very happy with the set - digital processing really comes into its own with higher quality sources.

One question I do have about the 28p37, though, is about NTSC prog scan capability. I am currently having problems between it and a Pioneer 575 DVD player - fine in PAL Prog Scan, but some problems appear on NTSC prog scan. Trying to work out which is at fault - suspect the DVD player myself. Also, seem to have a problem with 60HZ RGB signals (through any source), although others on this forum have noted the same problem so it seems to be a design feature. However, these are minor issues when considered as a whole, and it is a great TV.

24. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is S-Video into scart 3 likely to give a better picture than scart to scart in RGB scarts 1 or 2?

25. Grezk

Grezk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got this from Allders at Middlebrook (Horwich), with the 5 years free warranty and an extra in-store 10% discount plus 5% discount for opening an Allders store card (incurs no interest providing you pay it off in full when you get the first bill.

Total price £339 - pretty chuffed . :D