JVC HV-32P37 - Major screen flicker problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Cujo101, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello, I just got a HV-32P37 and it's suffering from a lot of screen flicker. Does any know of a remedy for this? I watch all my tv via scarts and component and in dark scenes, it's hardly noticable but in scenes with a lots of light, it's very annoying. I've gone though various settings but I can't find a way to get rid of it. Have any other owners of this tv suffered from this problem?

Many thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    I don't know that particular model that well but try turning the Contrast down.

3. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I was told that it might be interference, so last night I disconnected everything and just connected my old Pioneer DV-737 via component and played with the settings. I put in X-Men 2 (Reg 2) and the picture was vastly improved. There was still a little flicker but it was bearable. I then put in Fifth Element UE (Reg 1) and the flicker returned. I tried to use the progressive scan function but the image was terrible - is there a option that I'm forgetting to choose?

I connected my Homechoice STB this morning and the picture was also improved but after a hour, the flicker seemed to increase slightly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

4. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The tv has just died!

The standby light is on but I can't switch the tv on. Oh well, it looks like it's going back on Monday.

5. Baseley09

Baseley09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thats a bummer, I just got this TV too and its been pretty great so far tho its not without some flaws (RGB turned into composite uhh....tho the processing does clean it somewhat)............yours must of been knackered if prog scan DVD was looking bad, its one of the best on the market for this afaik.

6. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bad luck Cujo101.:thumbsdow

I've had my HV-32P37 now for 12 months now, and its still going...

...goes and touches wood... very quickly...:rolleyes:

Baseley09 is right, PS via component should look absolutely superb, although I have had to become accustomed to the minor 'defects' which afflict the RGB inputs...:rolleyes:

7. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The tv is working again! I switched it on a couple of days ago and it's worked fine since. R2 dvds look great via component (non progressive). I have one question though - when I tried to play a reg 1 disc via progressive scan on my Pioneer dv737 the screen becomes very wobbly! Is there something that I'm not selecting? I don't want to go though the haslle of sending it back but I fear that I may have to.

8. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You need to make sure that in

MENU > PICTURE > FEATURES > COLOUR SYSTEM - MAIN is set to 'AUTO'

The picture does go screwy if this is set to PAL.

Failing that, try forcing it by setting one of the two NTSC options, but AUTO works fine for me. If that doesn't work, then I suspect something is amiss.

Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

9. Baseley09

Baseley09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Maybe it was some light scenes, it does tend to go wobly with big whites if the picture mode ---> bright, perhaps try standard or turn the brightness down a tad.

10. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I connected my friend's Yamaha dvd player which has pal/ntsc progressive scan to the tv and the picture is superb. It seems that the tv needed a few days to sort itself out. The flickering is completely gone and watching Homechoice and Freeview via rgb or using my Xbox with s-video, the picture is great. I've just bought a Limit 9900SE dvd player on Ebay which has pal/ntsc progressive and sounds good with cd's thanks to being tuned by Cyrus while I put aside so cash for a 360.

:thumbsup: I just want to say thanks for all the help.

11. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Some quick questions,
    Do any of you use an upscaling dvd player?
    If you do which one do you use?
    Does the JVC do it's own upscaling?
    Is it a worthwhile step up from progressive?

Many thanks

12. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do any of you use an upscaling dvd player?

...I don't, so I can't answer any of the other Qs, apart from...

Does the JVC do it's own upscaling?

Yes it does, thats the DIST thing - Digital Image Scaling Technology. All inputs are scaled as necessary.

Is it a worthwhile step up from progressive?

As the JVC scales the inputs to exactly suit the CRT fitted, I would imagine that using an upscaling player would not be a good idea as you could end up scaling the source twice, unnecessarily.

If I remember correctly, the JVC's CRT is around 900-odd lines and inputs are scaled to suit the CRT. If you had a player upscaling to say 1080i, the JVC may still have to scale the input yet again to suit the CRT.

I currently just use a standard progressive player over component, and the results are very good using the JVC's internal scaling. :)

13. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cujo,
    I use an external scaler (iScan HD+) with my 36P38 to feed it a [email protected]&50 signal and there is a PQ increase, its not night and day but it is certainly better, it also works as a very welcome Video Hub doubling the component inputs and letting me plug my HTPC through DVI, 2nd hand you should be able to find a cheap one. Very recommended.
    Cheers.

14. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi JavierS, I've seen these upscalers go on Ebay for around the £250 mark and from what I've read they seem to be pretty impressive but I could use that kind of cash and put it towards a 360. I've been tempted to buy a hacked Samsung DVD-HD850 or one of those Aldi-Tevion / Woolworths-Technosonic £40 players but I think I wil stick with a progressive scan player after reading sparky_paul's comments.

15. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cujo,
    There IS a difference between DIST and a good scaler like the DVDOs or Lumagens, and it can be not so small on some material. As the french say "Chaq'un son gût".
    Cheers

16. Baseley09

Baseley09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Im not sure about the DIST malarkey.....ive had the tv about a month now and for a lot of things with it turned on the image is a pixelated load of gash similar to cheap LCD, tho on some things and the right viewing distance it can be great.....depends what you feed it i guess.

17. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would agree about the DIST software, I've got the 36" version and have turned it all off bar the one that only lets you turn it to minimum.
    I must say that the DVD picture over component is stunning though.

18. Cujo101

Cujo101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I watch programmes via Homechoice and freeview on my tv and depending on the channel, shows can be good - (BBC 1, 2, 3, 4) or dreadful (Sky Sports 1,2,3). Watching football is a real effort sometimes - the shimmering effect can be annoying but dvd's and gaming via component is fantastic and I can't wait to get a HD source.

19. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bear in mind that the adjustments in the menu are only for the Digipure picture processing. Strictly speaking, DIST is the scaling system that is applied to all inputs and cannot be turned off or adjusted.

Incidentally, I use the same settings as you, apart from the 'Super Digipure' - switching this off makes the picture too soft for me, so I set it to 'min'.

I set both 'Colour Digipure' and 'Movie Theatre' to off as both cause problems for me on RGB sources. Turning Colour Digipure on does improve picture quality slightly, but makes horizontal menu edges from my DVD/HDD recorder 'shimmer'. Switching Movie Theatre on makes the banding problem on RGB sources noticeable.:rolleyes:

It is also interesting to note that when using S-Video as a source, the Digipure appears to be far less aggressive, and more effective at cleaning up a bad signal.

Also, and even more interesting, a number of different options appear in the Digipure settings when using S-Video sources - 'auto-high' and 'auto-low' appear in the VNR (noise reduction) settings, and 'auto' appears in the Super Digipure setting. Using these auto settings seems to be very effective on S-Video sources.

Although they are capable of fantastic PQ from the right source, these TVs are not comfortable with the poorer quality Sky and DTT channels. It also seems to me that with the problems with 50Hz RGB sources, RGB was not high on the manufacturer's list of priorities... I understand the design was derived from a Japanese model, perhaps the original design was primarily aimed at the US/Japan markets which tend to favour S-Video.

20. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just like my PP2 Philips, these TVs are designed to show detail. Any imperfection will show as well. They are very customisable though!

21. ns1col

ns1col
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I always assumed that the model was designed for use with the JVC D-VHS machines which would output 1080I over component.

22. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem I have with Progressive Scan is that the picture totally blacks out for a few seconds. Mine is a Liteon LVW-5002 which gives an excellent picure, but I have to keep it on interlace mode to avoid this problem.:mad:

23. sparky_paul

sparky_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Quite possibly - it is undeniable that the picture quality via the component inputs is superb.

S-Video inputs are really very good though, and do not exhibit some of the issues that are apparent on RGB sources.

My guess came from remembering the reasons for the difference in physical appearance between the 36" and the 32"/28" models. Apparently the 28"/32" models were restyled for the European market, but the 36" model was identical to the one sold in Japan - no restyle due to the low production numbers anticipated. I'm pretty sure the HV P37 sets produced in Glasgow were based on the design manufactured in Japan.

I haven't seen this problem with our HV-32P37.

24. fallenangle

fallenangle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I only use it for gaming, usually through component connections, and I've been very happy with my JVC HV32P37 except for the 60Hz RGB SCART issue. I do have to say I don't find the S-Video results that special, at least compared to my Sony KVsomething 32". But that is off-set by the composite performance when you've mucked about with the settings a bit.

My Gamecube doesn't have the component output earlier models had and I've had no other option than to play those 60Hz only GC titles via RGB SCART. As we know it defaults to composite in these circumstances but I've been really impressed by how good that appears. Sure you get that edge pixellation thing but otherwise you'd have to be very picky to complain.