1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HV-32D40. when is it out ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jerkyboy, May 13, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen, or bought one of these brand new JVC TV's.

When are they in the shops ?.

It looks like a very nice TV and I want one.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    It's due in 3-4 weeks if final testing goes OK.

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you work at JVC, how can you be so sure ?.

Do you know if they have sorted the RGB problem that the P37 suffered from (I had 2 of them, both had horizontal lines on RGB).

Other than that it was a fantastic set, it had to go back, I was gutted.

This new model looks the business, really looking forward to getting one.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    GaryB

You truely are a JVC knowledge god!!

Looks like they are using panasonic tubes in the new R4 models...is that right? and is that the same on the x4 and the d4?

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    To answer your question jb, yes, but my comments here are entirely my own. I currently have an HV-28D40 at home as I am helping with testing. I've used my DR-M1 DVD recorder with it with no problems. The set is so good that I will be buying the 32" version to replace my ageing AV-32WFR1 as soon as they are available.

To answer your question sb, I'll check them tomorrow.

6. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryB

Have you tried an Xbox or PS2 on your 28D40 ?.

The P37 was simply superb with these consoles via RGB apart from the faint lines.

Is it similar to the P37, same features, same menus etc, or are ther some imrovements ?.

Thanks for any info.

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I have just about every other gadget but I don't own a games console so I haven't tried one with it yet. The basic menu system is the same as the P37 with the addition of the DVB menu which takes you into a separate menu system for the digital stuff. You can also do twin picture with digital picture on the left and analogue picture or external input on the right. This was great for keeping an eye on the snooker while watching other stuff a couple of weeks ago. It has some DIST developments over the P37.

8. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, was the RGB problem I had with the P37 a known issue at JVC. Was I just unlucky and maybe had one of a bad batch.

What would cause this sort of interference via RGB ?.
    S-video and component were perfect.

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I've not heard of it from anywhere else. I've had a P37 in my office for a few months, feeding it from just about everything, in fact I've been using it to test new DVD players and DVD recorders with no problems. I assume you tried different SCART cables? Modern TVs like these feed record link and auto-tune data out of SCART pins 10 and 12 and I suppose it's possible that leakage from this could get into the video path as these pins aren't always screened, even in a "fully screened" SCART cable.

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Garyb

kinda interesting to hear from someone that tests these TV's!

So what do you have to do, just live with it on day to day basis using different sources or is it more technical then that?

Is this efectively the top range JVC television now? albeit in 28 inch guise!

From reading previous reviews on DIST you can get extremly good results from DVD, but very poor from normal TV type sources...how would you judge its performance on this aspect so far?

I have to say that the new JVC cases look very smart/slick...much sexier than the overly long cases at the mo..very minimalistic as that chappy from Changing Rooms would say!

11. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryB M8,

The RGB was an issue with the P series. I tried the TV out at home but returned it to due to the lines on the RGB inputs. My Humax Satellite receiver was terrible on RBG with coloured blotches appearing and disappearing.

Bazza

12. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi GaryB

Its good to hear your thoughts. I've been interested in buying the HV-28D40 and trying to find out where I can see one in the flesh before I hand over the cash. I also wanted to know the dimensions (width and depth) as they are not listed on the website. I have spoken to JVC twice and both times they have been unhelpful and have never got back to me.

Can you help?

13. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The basic testing is pretty much that, but everything has to be tested in detail with as many sources as possible. It also has to be checked against the instruction book to make sure it does what it should.

This is indeed (or will be) the top of the CRT range.

The DIST developments have certainly helped with analogue feeds and they are now as good as any I've seen but DIST, in common with most other digital processing has always given its best with digital signals and the DTV tuner built into the set does give a very good picture, subject to the limitations of the signal compression. It's good enough to make me buy one and I've never been a lover of digital processing.

As you say, it's a bit of a looker. What you can't see in any of the pictures I've seen is that the screen surround has a very slightly sparkly effect which looks quite good (even though it it might sound a bit naff).

14. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I've used it with a DR-M1 DVD recorder and my old XV-522 DVD player with no problems. I'll try it with a few more just to be sure.

15. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I think that's probably because no-one has seen one yet.

My IKEA paper tape measure says 750mm wide, 515mm high and 490 mm deep.

16. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GaryB, thanks for the reply and measurements.

I'm glad its not very deep or wide as I have a small living room. :thumbsup:
    This could be the TV for me. I thought the TV was out last month, but guess not.

17. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks GaryB. It all sounds very encouraging. Couple of quick questions....

Do you happen to know how the TV scales an NTSC progressive/interlaced input, if it can at all. Is it 75hz?
    Is it compatible with Topup TV should one want it?
    Are the speakers on the side? What's the sound like?
    Will the idtv firmware be upgradeable at all if it has the odd teething problem etc..

Many thanks.

18. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Not sure about the scaling yet. It is 75Hz.

We're currently checking it and finalising software for Top-Up TV. It will be compatible when it goes on sale. There is a CI slot on the back which will take a Top-Up CAM.

Speakers are under the screen. Sound quality, particularly with surround on is very good, perhaps slightly lacking in deep bass as there is no subwoofer but anyone who appreciates top quality sound will probably use a HC system of some sort anyway.

The firmware is upgradeable either by RS232 connector on the back of the set or by OAD. I've used the serial connector to update my set twice with no problems. It uses Windows Terminal to connect to the PC.

19. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Well it seems like you are doing a fine job GaryB..it seems as though there are a lot of people with high expectations for this TV so the pressure is on!!!!

I am not sure if I can get the sparkley black surround/casing past the 'wife', but I will intend to give it one helluva a go!

I didn't realise you were a fellow St Albanion....I used to go to Francis Bacon school when I was wee lad! Its a small world!

20. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Much appreciated GaryB. If its converted you to freeview, it must be rather good (or you get a healthy discount!). Thanks.

21. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    GaryB, any chance you could take one or two pictures of the set? For instance, the back showing the relevant connectors etc.

I am not sure if you are subject to NDAs or anything like that. But as far as specs go.. this TV seems to be awesome.. let's hope it lives upto them.

asfaik, there is no TV that has a built in freeview tuner as well as component input (pal progressive), or even picture enhancing stuff like DIST/pixel plus/acuity.

Also.. apparently it is "Compatible with HD1080i (HD1125i) signal". So does this mean it is HDTV compatible? Not that I know much about HDTV to be honest.. but I guess it might be good for PC or xbox ;)

But, unless it can't hold its own on Sky Sports with the footy.. guess I will have to miss it and go for the less featured philips.

Oh, last question ;) Is there a link to the manual anywhere?

22. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    A picture of the rear connectors is attached. You can see a full frontal at www.jvc.co.uk

Assuming we use Euro 1080, then as far as I'm aware it should be OK. I'll see if I can get a link to the instruction book on Monday.

Attached Files:

23. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks very much :)

Their is still some hope left that I might find a TV ;)

24. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This all sounds great :) If I can buy one without the added features of dirty screen, banding, strange noises or serve geometry issues my other TV's had, JVC can have my money very quickly

25. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks GaryB, nice photo. What Cam are you using? Not the Mediaguard Topup TV one by any chance? Do you ever go near the 32" with your Ikea tape measure?

What do you think of the geometry and colour purity etc on the 28"?

Thanks

26. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The CAM is an SCM test CAM which has built in test functions to check Top-Up compatibility. I don't think it's available outside the trade.

Unfortunately we don't have a 32" to measure yet. The sample we were sent arrived in kit form, courtesy of the carriers.

Geometry & purity on the set I have at home is very good. No purity errors at all, even on a pattern generator showing R, G & B screens. One other good thing is that even the 28" version has tilt adjustment.

27. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
  28. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Well done Gary..the link works fine.

My only concern is that we are all expecting this TV to be the 'nuts' following your comments! Maybe you should dampen expectations a bit...there doesnt appear to be a perfect TV in existence!!!

29. Ferrino

Ferrino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the comments so far are persuading me to go for this telly when it's out! I am in the market for a flatscreen 32" TV in this price-bracket. Is there a firm release date yet?

30. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    OK it's crap - but I'm still buying one :)

I don't suppose it will suit everyone but it's certainly as good as I've seen. I'm sure there will be a few opinions here as soon as they hit the streets so we will get a more impartial opinion. Maybe everone will tell me I'm a deranged idiot. In addition to the set I have at home, I have another in my office, along with a new design 42" plasma and the soon to be launched 23" LCD and the comments on the IDTV have been nothing but good. The other two are pretty good too.

In the interests of fairness, if I have to point out any negatives, there is a small amount of smear on horizontal scrolling titles like virtually all digital TVs but that's about it. The only other issue, and it's not the fault of the set, is that it does show up the limitations of the restricted bandwidth of the Freeview signal but the clean vibrant colors and fine detail more than make up for those.