1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HV-32D25W D.I.S.T. or Sony FQ80 ???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kingston LJ, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a FQ75 and I am either having a refund or replacing it for the FQ80.

Is the JVC HV-32D25W D.I.S.T., better than the FQ80. I have yet to see a review of the JVC and have no idea if it is amazing or not.

Is the FQ80 a great tv, or is it old technology and not worth the price.

I do not have long to make my mind-up, maybe a few days.

Please help me decide. :confused:

Cheers!

2. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for the FQ80 and then let the rest of us know how good it is -)

3. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kingstonlj,

The JVC DIST technology is far superior to sony's DRC-MF (at least the vesrion available in the UK). FAR superior.

I would get the JVC without a moment's hesitation. The best advice I can give you is, go to a retailer, see them for yourself before making the final decision.

The FQ80 exhibits all the flaws of the 75, I'm afraid, as many members have attested. To be fair, many are also very happy with their units, but if you're sending the 75 back for any of the known foibles (soft focus down the sides, scrolling bars, etc.) I fear you'll be having much of the same again.

Digitalsauce - just do a search on the FQ80 instead of using the poor guy as a guinea pig. There are plenty of posts that'll tell you exactly "how good it is":p

Cheers,

Moory

4. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No one is disputing that the D.I.S.T technology is very nice - but the fact remains that the "look and feel" of the actual JVC set leaves a *lot* to be desired. It has a very 'cheap' and tacky feel to it and I'm sure that people who are buying the set on "D.I.S.T" alone are going to be disappointed when they get the set home .. Build quality and looks are also important.. Lets wait and see what a few reviews churn out before we go over the top with JVC’s efforts shall we .. ;)

5. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The JVC, as I have always attested, is an ugly bugger (again, you can search for my previous comments on this). All JVC sets are lacking in the aesthetic department, IMHO.

However, the set has already been reviewed by some of its owners on this forum, as has the FQ80, and while there were problems reported on both, the benefit/cost ratio on the JVC far outstrips the Sony.

Here are a few other benefits over and above line interpolation (that's D.I.S.T. for JVC and DRC for Sony):

Progressive Scan (JVC YES/ SONY NO)
    Broadband Component Inputs (JVC YES / SONY NO)
    DOLBY DIGITAL (JVC YES / SONY NO)
    HDTV-ready (JVC YES / SONY NO)

Though I have never been a big fan of JVC's products in the past, they are to be applauded for stepping up their offensive on the UK market. They have produced a set that finally incorporates some of the features previously only available in Asia Pacific or North America. Sony has comparable sets, but is holding back their introduction into the market. Thus, JVC has a superior product, "cheap and tacky" though it may feel to you. JVC is not a supermarket cheapo brand, so I hardly think it will fall apart at the touch. I myself was a staunch Sony fan, until I discovered just how sturdily built the UK-made sets are (i.e. not very).

I do not know anyone foolish enough to buy £1,500 worth of TV sight-unseen. Do you?;).. I think it pays to do a little homework, such as what you should have done within this very forum, before espousing blind loyalties to one brand or bias toward another. This prevents people going 'over the top' only to get 'disappointed when they get the set home', as a wise man once said.....

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I wouldn´t say the JVC is "cheap & tacky". The build quality is excellent, it weighs a lot as well. I think it also looks very nice, though opinions on that will vary from person to person.

Picture quality is also superb which is my main reason for buying it.;)

7. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I couldn't agree more, Jase.

JVC is the '3' in the Japanese Top 3 - Sony & Panasonic (Matsu****a) are the other 2. JVC cabinet design is not to my liking, but that is my own opinion, and no knowledgeable person would accuse JVC of being 'tacky' any more than other Japanese manufacturers. Certainly not when referring to a Japanese-made model, unlike the UK-made Sony's (where quality-control leaves much to be desired, and I speak from experience).

I have a Toshiba myself, but I'm glad you're happy with your set. Hope you have it connected to a prog-scan DVD player. It would be a shame not to use this excellent (and in my view from now on, essential) feature! Prog scan is the way to watch DVD's (if you have it).

Cheers

Moory:)

Update: Just saw your post on the HD25 thread, you do have a prog-scan DVD player. Have you tested the PAL progressive input capability? I realise your Toshiba DVD player only outputs NTSC prog scan, but have you found any evidence as whether the Pal-prog component input claims are true?

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Just out of interest, all JVC TVs sold in the UK are made in East Kilbride - Scotland.

9. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I stand corrected, Gary. Let's hope they have better QC than Sony Swindon!

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    They certainly do. I've been there many times.

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Moory

I can´t confirm that it will accept a PAL Progressive Signal as I have no way of testing it, but the manual states that it will accept both 525P and 625P Progressive Signals via the Component Inputs.

What´s interesting is that using an S-Video or RGB signal and switching ON the Movie Theatre Mode gives picture quality equal to that of an NTSC Progressive Scan signal via the Component Inputs. The TV´s de-interlacer works very well for NTSC sources. This really surprised me as its on par with my Toshiba SD900.

PAL sources don´t fair so well but it still reduces the "jaggies" to a large extent. Though as I understand it, PAL Progressive is harder to get right.

12. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Jase,

Interesting that the JVC's internal de-interlacer performs comparably to the Silicon Image chipset in your Toshiba!

My Toshiba set does the opposite (and I've tested it up close). It handles Pal progressive much better than NTSC - with visible 'stair-stepping' and jaggies all over the place on R1 material.

Funny....:confused:

Moory

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Yes, it really did surprise me as I wasn´t expecting it to perform that well.

The PAL discs I used to test the TV´s Movie Theatre Mode were Gladiator and Star Trek Insurrection, both are notorious for showing up any inadequacies in the video processing. The TV faired very well but not to the extent of when an NTSC source was used. Mind you, these are worse case scenarios.

Strangely enough, the tube in the TV is made by Toshiba. I´m also now wondering what PAL Progressive from a player will look like, I might have to upgrade again soon!:eek: :)

14. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a short note, the jvc 32d25 is NOT american hdtv compatible.

Talked to this guy in a shop who wanted to convince me otherwise, but i phoned JVC Denmark, and they said that it's definitly not hdtv ready/compatible. Not 1080i,not 720p, only 480p. Nor will there be a 36" version of it, he said, as it proved to be to expensive (?).

On a completely different note, I asked him how the 32d25 could show a progressive picture, when the spec states that it shows 1250i. 1250 INTERLACED scanlines.
    This would indicate that it recieves the prog signal from the dvd player, bumps the resolution up, and converts it back to interlaced?? Unless, of course, it completely disables the res-up thing all together and just churns out 480/525 prog lines...

Maybe I'm being completely wrong on the matter, but the guy told me to call back in a few weeks, and then they would have found out for certain...
    hmm..

15. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i meant 525p/625p, not 480/525.

But if my theory is true, that it really doesn't produce a 'true' prog picture in the end, then this may be the reason why Jase can't tell the difference between the component setup to dvd in ntsc, and the setup using rgb/s-video ?...

Again, I may be completely wrong, but it's interesting none the less... :)

16. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help Guys. I still cannot make-up my mind on whether to have the SonyFQ80 or the JVC, but I am closer to making decision.

I know WhatVideo are reviewing the JVC next month. Is there any other mags that will be reviewing it sooner????

If it gets glowing reviews I will have no hesitation in purchasing it.

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Its the Super DigiPure circuit that bumps up the resolution to 1250i or 1500i (NTSC). Leave it switched OFF and it will display a Progressive Scan signal without adding any extra processing or converting back to interlaced. Or you can switch ON the Movie Theatre Mode and have the TV use its own Progressive Scan Mode (when fed an interlaced signal).

As I mentioned before the TV does a VERY good job on NTSC sources with its Movie Theatre Mode, it completely removes any "jaggies" on straight lines. It also does well with PAL sources but not to the same extent (almost reduces all "jaggies").

If you want Prog Scan from an interlaced source, switch ON the Movie Theatre Mode, if you don´t, then leave it off. The Super DigiPure circuit can also be left OFF or set to MIN/AUTO/MAX (just MIN/MAX when the input is via Component Video).

The Super Digipure (extra resolution) may convert back to interlaced but there are no noticeable problems when doing so (still no "jaggies" present:) ).

18. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kenji-San,

Perhaps I over-simplified. This set is intended for the European market, so, you're 100% correct - it won't handle true HDTV. However, the CRT tube itself is HDTV-capable, i.e. it is a 'Fine Pitch' CRT that is able to display HDTV resolution.

Naturally, component inputs are not a standard in Europe, let alone HD-component ins, and the TV uses European voltage, not American (or Japanese) so of course, you can't use it in the world's main HDTV markets.

It's a halfway-house (if I can use that expression here!). Let's hope its intro into the market here will push the other manufacturers to launch their 1250i and progressive technologies here too.

Finally, Kenji-San, as Jase has informed you, the set's 1250i (the 'i' is for interlaced) mode is separate from its progressive scan mode. It can do both conversions internally, as well as display native prog scan images from an external source.

Cheers,

Moory

19. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the tv myself, I just had to be sure it really displayed a 'true' prog. signal, both pal and ntsc, hence the questions.
    Otherwise, it sounds like a great tv! Too bad there isn't a 36" version as, really, all this high-res thing would really come into its own on a bigger screen.
    Of course, you can always pay £4000+ for a jvc 40" plasma featuring d.i.s.t., but i'm not THAT tv fanatic. :D

Yes, I really hope too that this is only the beginning of things to come, and that people take notice of high-res quality pictures. IT really can't happen soon enough!!

20. Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remember to tell us what you think of it kenji-san. I'm still very happy with my set.

21. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just to wander O/T a fraction....

I am looking for a set that will accept the 1080 signals from a JVC D-Theater D-VHS deck that I am thinking of importing. Are you guys saying that this set is NOT capable of accepting the hi-def output from this D-VHS set?

It seems that way when you say that this set in not US 1080 compatible.

Can anyone clarify?

dr_m

22. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    kenji-san...

Can I ask why you're going for the 32d25 and not the newer 32P37? I've just got one of these and am very impressed.

btw, on the 32P37 (& 28P37, and presumably the 36P38 as well), the specs in the manual state that the component inputs can accept 625p (576p), 525p (480p), & 1125i (1080i), and I think that should hold true for the earlier 32d25 as well...

23. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because it wasn't out at the time i bought the 32d25.
    Or so I think. If it was I would've bought the 32p37!

Unfortunatly, the manual for the 32d25 states that only 625p & 525p signals are available via the component out.

How annoying! :)

Anyway, i would not buy the 32p37 now. I would buy the 36P38, as 32" is just a tad too small methink.

Out of curiousity, though, does the 32p37 support 720p?

cheers

24. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    no

25. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    iv had the 32d25 jvc for 2 years and it is very nice indeed, I dont know why people see it as ugly I find it quite nice. I didnt like the stand for it and got another. the tv itself for dvd is quite stunning. I have it running with the phillips q50 asian model with progressive and it is really nice picture.

By far this is the best tv except maybe the newer jvc models for watching dvds really good. Sound is quite decent if you hook up some jvc or other surround sound speakers. also i havent had one problem with it so far touch wood. the pixel plus have a nice picture when i went to see them before i bought the jvc but couldnt take a progressive dvd player and had on occassions shown the hallo effect around people or objects and i didnt like that.

Also i had found the service manual and opened the set up and tuned the vertical and horizontal resolution which doesnt come fully optimized from the factory. this gave a sharper picture once I set it.

On the downside when you watch tv or sattelite that is not clear signal then your picture will be awful and it really shows up on this set. Probalbly this is a good thing because it wouldnt if the picture wasnt razor sharp.

Secondly on some dvds and if you sit close ( I am only three meters away at the most) there is pixellation which could be due to the the dvd or me sitting too close. Mind you it is on only some dvds, the colours in general are very natural and crisp and detail is very sharp.

hope this helps you make your choice but in sony i havent seen anything worthwhile in tvs and i think this is the best one. I do like sony lcd tvs though and pixel plus lcd tvs put i havent seen the jvc plasma with dist that should be really good!! but too expensive. Only when they get cheaper will i buy one.