JVC HV 32D25: Progscan & HD & Pixel+

R

regis

Hi guys,

I already saw a post on that subject some days ago but it seems you didn't react.
I just visited the JVC website and I saw an ad for their brand new model: HV 32D25 using "D.I.S.T." technology. This telly seems to offer best of all worlds, I mean progressive scan and something like Pixel Plus. Exciting no???

Does anyone has more information on that telly? Is it able to do PAL progressive scan (I own only Z2 coz' I'm not a native English speaker). What about pricing and quality?

Régis from Belgium.

it doesn't mention support for progressive scan anywhere.

If you click on the EISA icon, you'll see the following:

European Video Innovation of the Year 2002-2003
D.I.S.T.

' TV picture quality continues to improve, but PAL video signals remain fixed in resolution and often suffer flicker.
Progressive scan and 100Hz technology but solve one of these problems, but the new Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.) from JVC fixes both. With 1250 scanning lines and 75Hz vertical scan frequency, its pictures are both flicker-free and highly detailed. D.I.S.T. is a really major step forward in displayed video quality.'

HV-32D25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JVC's original D.I.S.T. (Digital Image Scaling Technology) found on the HV-32D25 makes use of an interpolation method that doubles the scanning lines (1250i), making it suitable for reproducing high-resolution pictures on large-screen displays. D.I.S.T. incorporates five components that work together to eliminate diagonal jaggies and produce flicker-free picture: Interlace-Progressive (I-P) Converter, Formatter, Super DigiPure enhancer LSI, Wide-Range CRT Driver, and Fine Pitch CRT.

Structure of D.I.S.T.

Before: 625i After: 1250i
Scanning lines are doubled (1250i) compared to a conventional PAL signal (625i) to offer a more natural-looking picture without diagonal jaggies.

still it is not clear whether or not is has progressive scan.

Originally posted by jtorry
still it is not clear whether or not is has progressive scan.

Got a JVC catalogue yesterday and this TV will accept an NTSC Progressive Scan signal via its Component Video Inputs, it then applies the digital scaling etc

All other input signals (Pal 625i and NTSC 525i) are converted from interlaced to progressive before going through the digital scaling.

Seems pretty impressive.

Originally posted by jtorry
so no pal progressive?

Not mentioned in the brochure but I´ve emailed JVC to see what they say. Should get an answer in the next couple of days.

At least its a decent price in the UK, over here its 1800 quid.:(

Well, what about quality of JVC products? Can someone help? I really have no experience with that brand.

Originally posted by regis
Well, what about quality of JVC products? Can someone help? I really have no experience with that brand.

I´ve had JVC tv´s for the last few years and never had any problems at all.

Originally posted by Jase
Not mentioned in the brochure but I´ve emailed JVC to see what they say. Should get an answer in the next couple of days.

At least its a decent price in the UK, over here its 1800 quid.:(

I sent JVC a mail as well to see if it supported PAL progressive, and i got this reply.

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the above.
We can confirm this set does not incorporate NTSC progressive.

We can confirm that the progressive signal put out by the
Interlace-Progressive (I P ) Converter is interpolated again by the
Formatter which provides precise pixel interpolation.This precise
interpolation doubles the rate of scanning lines from 625p to 1250i to raise vertical resolution producing a remarkably superior picture.

JVC (U.K.) Ltd
Customer Service Dept.
Bernard Muckell

I think he might have got muddle up, because i was asking about PAL progressive, but the brochure says it DOES do NTSC progressive. Looks like it converts any p signal fed to it into an i picture. At 1250, are we going to notice that it's not a progressive image?

Does any high street store have this tv on display to demo?
Is there going to be a 36" model?

[Luc]

I never got a reply from JVC but the brochure definitely shows it can accept an NTSC progressive signal. The external NTSC Progressive signal then bypasses the I-P converter and goes straight to the Formatter. Interlaced Pal & NTSC signals go through the I-P conversion then to the Formatter.

What they seem to have got themselves mixed up about at JVC is that some TV models (certainly over here in Spain) have NTSC progressive already. These TV´s have their own de-interlacers for when they are fed an NTSC signal. They don´t have component inputs and can´t accept a progressive scan signal either via NTSC or PAL. This chap must be talking about this feature.

Originally posted by mafioso
Does any high street store have this tv on display to demo?
Is there going to be a 36" model?

Still waiting for them to appear on the High Street over here in Spain.

It´s unlikely there will be a 36" model as JVC don´t do them. 32" is the largest TV they make (apart from Plasmas).

Well, I'll send a mail to their customer service in Belgium. We'll see if the answer if more clear (I have serious doubts anyway :clown: )

Régis.

The HV-32D25's fine pitch CRT employs 20% increase in pixels and has a super-fine shadow mask pitch of just 0.59mm, 15% improvement over the traditional CRTs to deliver high-resolution, high-quality pictures, with outstanding levels of detail.

Is this any better than the Philips Cybertube ? Isn't that supposed to have a higher resolution ?

20% increase in pixels doesn't seem much to me.

PixelPlus increases the amount of lines (PAL is 625 lines) to 833 and doubles the pixels per line from 1024 to 2048.

The JVC D.I.S.T increases the amount of lines to 1250 but I´m not sure of the pixel content, I assume it doubles it as well.:confused: So it should give a much more detailed picture than the Philips.

Yeah no, I'm not talking about the line doubling technology. I mean the physical number of dots on the TV screen.

It's pointless doubling the number of lines in your picture, if you don't also increase the physical resolution of the screen !!! 20% doesn't sound like much of an increase to me.

I agree with AVWotcha on this. Anyone here know?

I'd really like an answer to this since I'm considering buying one very soon. My top two candidates at the moment are the JVC hv-32d25 and the the Loewe Aconda.

Don't mean to be bothersome here. But I have to decide which TV to buy within monday. So I'm very eager to get an answer to this question.

So if anyone knows, please answer :)

Ahah ... I found a dutch manual on the JVC belgian website. I can read:

Component video input (Pr, PB, Y)
Support of progressive signals (625p or 525p).

Good news no?
Does anyone saw that set operating? What is the result?

Régis.

The set is not on sale yet in the UK. It is due in a few weeks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom