1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HV-28P37SJE Review

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bodyfodder, Oct 19, 2003.

1. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having waited nearly two weeks i took delivery of one of these sets on friday and im very disapointed.

When i first turned it on i was greeted by a very distorted and bent JVC logo and a very loud popping noise! The logo was on a blue background but the whole lower half of the blue was chpped off and looked like it had been sat next to a giant magnet for a couple of hours!

I knew that this wasnt right so i grabbed the manual and that said "when the set is first turned on, it goes into the intial setting mode, and you will see the JVC logo. Follow the instuction on the screen display to make the initial settings." On my set this did not happen and a distorted JVC logo stayed on the screen until a couple of minutes later i pressed the AV button.

I connected my freeview box via an ixos RGB scart cable and after a couple of seconds the tv kicked into RGB mode and displayed what i can only describe as an RF quality picture! Ghosting, blurry, and a weired mesh effect all over the screen. Searching through the input settings i could find no way of altering the signal to make the picture quality any better.

Next i connected my PS2 via the official RGB scart cable and was very dissapointed by the image on the screen. Wire mesh effect, blurry, the edges of things looked like they had been outlined with a marker there was so much sharpness, horizontal bars moving up the screen and the movement was very jerkey! :mad: Feeling desperate i switched the PS2 into 60hz and all i could see was about half of the screen distorted and in a kind of trapezium shape!!!

Im currently pushing for a replacment and hoping the next one will be better:mad: :mad: :mad:

update.

Just tried a gamecube via the official component cable (50hz) and the picture is even worse than throughRGB scart!! If they are all like this then JVC DIST sucks:thumbsdow

2. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tested my DVD player with the set and have been switching between RGB and Svideo and there appears to be no difference at all!!

This cant be right can it? Just worried that when i get the replacment its going to be the same :(

Need some help from JVC DIST owners.

Thanks.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Get it changed for another as it sounds like it's knackered. My first HV32D25 made a crackling noise and had strange interference/crackling across the screen whenever there was a lot of white being displayed. It did it the moment I switched it on. I was given a replacement and the original needed most of it's innards renewed.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Just so you know, the Super Digipure is what boosts the resolution. On mine it's best left to MIN for games but for DVD's I leave it OFF, set VNR to MIN as well. If you are using an interlaced source then set the Movie Theatre Mode to ON as well (assuming your set has this feature) this is the TV's own Progressive Scan mode and only works when it detects a FILM source (it uses 2:2 Pulldown). The Movie Theatre Mode is not available if you are using an external Prog Scan source.

You'll need to adjust the actual Contrast, Brightness etc as the factory defaults are bloody awful.

5. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Just one question mate.

When your set is recieving an RGB signal how much different is it than when you are using svideo? From what i can see the RGB/component picture quality is very poor and looks not that far off composite! On my sony set the RGB looks far better than that on the JVC.

Cheers.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    On my set Component is the best, followed by S-Video which appears to be just slightly better than RGB. Composite is the worst (obviously!! LOL).

Some of it will also depend on how good your DVD player is for RGB, S-Video etc.

Having said that, there should be a clear difference between RGB and Composite. If there isn't then I'm sure the set has a fault.

7. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got PES 3 for the PS2 to try on the new tv and it really sucks! The ball leaves a very bad trail along the screen and all the players move like its runnin at 10 fsp:eek:

almost a year of lookin for a new tv and i still get a dud!

:suicide:

8. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe a dumb question but did you used the scart input that is capable of RGB?

9. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scarts 1 and 2 are RGB capable. Even tried component and that sucked!

10. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh forgot to say that these new models have both PAL and NTSC progressive scan.

Not tested it but it says so in the instuctions.

11. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Are they HDTV capable?
    Thats what they said on www.jvc.cu.uk.
    1080i compatible.

12. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the manual it says 625p, 525p, 1125i
    It probably does do 1080i too.

13. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So that will mean that this tv set can reproduce a true HD 1080i image?
    But how about the 1280*720 (720P)?

14. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesnt mention 720p in the manual but if the same parts
    are in the uk version of the tv as in the states then who knows it might.

Im sure that if the JVC website says it can do 1080i then it probably can. Your best bet is to demo the tv with the device you intend to watch you movies/games on. Im just hoping that my replacment is alot better than the one i have now!

15. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you'll get a good working replacement.
    Well, lets also hope that this tv set kan truly do HDTV in both formats.

16. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i just got the replacement and its worse than the first!! Scrolling bars all over the place and loads of fuzz all over the scart channels. I will be getting a refund as this tv sucks!

DO NOT BUY A HV-28P37!!:lesson:

17. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's odd,
    maybe you get an older version of this model?

18. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i know this is the only 28" DIST tv JVC have made. Maybe the 32" version is better.

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The only previous JVC TV with D.I.S.T is the HV32D25. The "improved" D.I.S.T. is found on the new 28P37/32P37/36P38 models.

20. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I saw the 32" model, tough only for a couple of minutes as I was in a hurry. It was placed very close to a Thomson 32WB642S and a 32WB842S (the same but with integrated stand a black mirror front finish). The JVC had DIST engaged and the Thomsons' HI-PIX.
    PQ was awful in all 3 due to the terrible RF signal they were being fed (all TVs in the shop looked very, very bad, LCDs beeing the worst), but I tought the JVC looked a bit more 3D like even if it was so soft that it made a VHS VCR look like HDTV by comparison, and colours were nicer.
    I will try to go back next weekend and see if they let me play with them for a while.

21. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Mate: i own a JVC 28 Inch 100Hz TV. When i watch normal TV and VCR the picture is fine. But when I watch a DVD movie, i get the ghosting effect. Not sure what this is. I went to comet with the same DVD movie and when i played it on other brand panasonic 100hz and JVC 100Hz i got the ghosting again. But when i played it on a Panasonic 50Hz TV, i found no ghosting. If i was to get a replacement TV, the same brand, i'd probably get the same result - ghosting. I think i'll play around with Digi pure pro and VNR settings tonight and see if it improves things. Although, i remember, i tried to set this up before, but still got the same thing. If any1 can help me resolve, i really appreciate it.

thanks

22. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate: What TV do you own? What model?

thanks

23. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,
    Ok, i've played back Toy Story on DVD on my JVC TV. This time i've been playing around with the VNR and DigiPure Pro settings. I paused one scene in the movie and started to chnage some picture settings. I've noticed the ghosting and when i turn the Digipure pro setting off, i get a clearer picture but not 100% perfect as i should expect. By changing the setting to AUTO or MIN i get more ghosting effect. So i have just left this setting to MAX. I then changed the VNR setting from Off, min, etc... but did not notice any change in picture quality. Any JVC owners, please let me know what setting is best for you. Remember, i have the 28" model with 100Hz.

Thanks

24. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

I did own a JVC HV32D25. I sold it a few months ago though.