JVC HRS7965 quality problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Jul 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When I tried to purchase a JVC HR-S7965 VCR, it recorded well for 1hr before subsequent recordings were blighted by frequent picture drop outs, white spots and vertical dashes.

Using a TDK wet cleaner removed some problems, and use of a Trackmate/OneforAll brush cleaning cassette improved things a bit. Known good/new tapes where used for recording and no precorded were played at all.

However, unless meticulously cleaned before each and every recording, picture problems would resurface. Even then tape dropouts were still evident and more frequent than on my ageing HRS-9500. :thumbsdow

The retailers engineer was dismissive of the picture problems, a refund was eventually secured, though.

Are these problems typical of the performance of JVC's current S-VHS decks? :lease:
    Or did I have a rogue unit? :confused:

How does the HR-S6965 compare with the HR-S7965? (the 6965 is now readily available from Currys/Dixons, so I can return it easily if required)

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya:

As a process of elimination, had you tried turning the time-base corrector (TBC) off?

No matter how good one believes a recording to be, I have found the 7965 to highlight the differences between players (N.B. that isn't necessarily an issue of brand or model), with image and/or audio tracking and stability proving to be all but impossible with the VCR's usual settings. Disabling 'Digital TBC/NR' and enabling 'Video Stabilizer' should improve things somewhat, at least returning a 'bearable' :devil: image.

Repeated cleaning does appear to be a rather extreme course of action and of course, you can no longer confirm things one way or another. So... er... perhaps it was 'a rogue unit'.

:)

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I did try defeating TBC and BEST, neither made any difference. No such issues existed with a HRS7860 or my HRS9500.

Have you experienced frequent dropouts on any of the current range of JVC S-VHS decks?