Jvc Hm-hds4

Worm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Am saving for this HDD/ SVHS recorder for a couple of months now and it has now appeared on JVC web site. Release date is late May/early June. Specs look great but no info donloads. There are a lot of Japanese sites but cant find any english translations. Widescreen entertainment are reviewing next issue. Has anybody come across any info such as possible price.

Regards

The new issue of What Video & Widescreen Entertainment (out now) has a review and they sing this machines praises. They quote £700 but I have no doubt you could get it cheaper.

IMHO though this seems a very strange mix of technologies. The HDD element seems top-notch, i.e. you can pause live TV, record in a number of different qualities and sports an 80GB HDD. Yet for archiving it's a very dubious machine - if you record things direct onto the HDD then you are going from an analogue input to a digital and then archive to SVHS in analogue again. Also, because of the SVHS technoolgy, the best input you can use is S-Video not RGB (relevant if you record from Sky). With this in mind surely a DVDR/HDD combo would be a better option - especially as the Toshiba model is cheaper than the HDS4.

What Video & Widescreen Entertainment (out now) has a review and they sing this machines praises

You have to be careful as the Pace Twin also got good reviews. I have learned not to pay to much attention to reviews, they seem to miss the obvious.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Whilst the mix my be strange to some, it is exactly what Ive been waiting for. I will also be recording from my IDTV which allows me to record digital whilst watching analogue. Having seen HDD and SVHS recordings on none RGB input.. the quality is brilliant. I have no interest in SKY. Have just bought the mag and it is a good review but I think we are all by now sceptical of "too glowing reviews" The price of £700 is well over priced though, however it will be the end of Aug till I have a min of £500 and having just seen it on the RGDDirect site for £650 inc del it should be nearer £600 by then. When I do get it I will give my views on it.

Regards

Well ,doing okay on price ..PRCDIRECT have it for £589 incl del.

By the end of the day it mite be £500 !!

Regards

Hi Worm,

Saw the HDS4 some time ago and just read the review you mentioned. I'm very keen in it, particularly the time slip and instant replay/retroactive recording feature. Having a quick scout around I noticed that RGB direct now have it for £579 - sems like the price is already plummeting!

Let me know if you see it for any less and I'll do the same.

Ta

C

Homecinema Choice gave it a good review aswell . The price seems to be hovering around the £580 which is getting better. Either end of July or when the price hits £500 is mytime to buy.

Its a shame a digital tuner was not included and no RGB scart. JVC say this is standard for their products but it is still the one I want!

Regards

www.hispec.com are doing the hmhds1 for £419.99 inclusive. I know its only 40 gig but the thing is I reckon the price on this will drop faster than the newer model and the hd may be upgradable. It actually says £450 when you see the first image but its £420 when you click on it for info. I'd wait for it to hit £299 and then snap one up.

Have ordered from Unbreakable for £588 inc deli... should be about 10 days

Cant wait!!

Regards

Hi Worm,

Has your HDS4 arrived yet? I negotiated with my local store who lowered their price to almost match the on line ones I'd seen and bought one on Saturday. So far am very pleased - how're you finding it?

C

Hi

Its been a challenge working out whats what. My old vcr had PIP so missing that. Am used to the controls but still hit and miss dubbing from HDD to VCR... Also its annoying you can record/watch on HDD but cant record on VCR and watch on HDD. As analogue doesnt broadcast widescreen correctly I have it connected to my IDTV to record some programs to get digital quality though mite get acheap freeview and have that permanently connected. The quality of HDD is amazing as is the sound thru my Yammy640, while SVHS is certainly much better than ordinary video..pity the tapes are so expensive though the SVHSET on the usual tapes isnt bad.. Have only used the SP quality which is brilliant so have to try the others. Even at 80gig i can see it filling up so mite look in to expanding that if poss.
All in all am well pleased, superb quality and it looks pretty good aswell

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom