1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HM-DR10000EK

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Vectraone, Jun 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy a new VHS but not sure whether to buy one of the new digital babes (seen the JVC advertised for £700 now) or go for a SVHS such as the JVC8700 (£250) which is still an improvement on my current 8 year old machine.

Has anyone bought a D-VHS? - what do you think of it, is it worth the extra £450? (I wished it had a dolby digital decoder built in, I would then have no doubt - would be great for recording DVDs from a chipped player).

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Vectra.

2. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got one - no regrets.

Use SVHS tapes instead of DVHS tapes - cheaper, quality as good, and in LP digital mode you`ll get about 21 hours recording on an E240 - quality excellent.

Good library features - give it a go.

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much for the 30000 ??

I`ve not seen it advertised over here at all - is it widely available ?

4. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tiberious.

Glad to hear you're pleased with it.

Don't think the HDTV 30000 version is out in the UK or will even be released here. Seem to remember reading that the UK is going to miss out on HDTV.

Tiberious, have you tried recording any DVDs on yours? if so, whats the sound reproduction like?

Cheers

Vectra

5. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The HM-DH3000 is only available in Japan at the moment. Its release date in the US has been idefinetely postponed. I got mine through a friend over there, however I figured out that if was going to get a D-VHS player, I might as well get one that will allow me to watch HDTV tapes also. As someone rightfully pointed out we will not be getting HDTV in Europe for a long time. I have a projector which is HDTV capable so I thought what the hell, I might as well make use of that functionality

6. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you really want to be at the cutting edge get the JVC HM-DH30000 and be amazed with it's HDTV playback capabilities. You can also record a variety of other stuff

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never thought of taping dvds to be honest - doesn`t seem much point for me - but I believe the recorder is macrovision enabled, so may prevent it.Maybe I`ll try it ,just to see - I have just got a Skyworth DVD player which has no macrovision - but from memory, the dvd itself will have protection embedded, the chip in the DVHS recorder will trigger it.

8. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how you get on Tiberious.

I'm waiting for a Tosh 210 DVD from Techtonics which includes a mod which removes macrovision. I would have thought that you could therefore record the DVD onto tape in the JVC machine. Obviously you lose dolby digital in the transfer, which is why i was curious as to the sound reproduction on the tape.

Later

Vectra

9. Editor HCC

Editor HCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, I'd go for the JVC D-VHS VCR over S-VHS anytime. The difference is amazing.

10. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, I've now got to flog (sell not whip) my Granny to afford one.

Still, think of the Goldfish points.

Vectra.

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I 100% agree with this comment. Buying a D-VHS VCR was one of the best decisions that I have made.

12. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Add me to the list of happy owners - I am delighted with it. Its not just the picture quality though - the tape indexing system is superb as well :)

There are a couple of naff points to be aware of though:

1. The picture search (in d-vhs mode) is fairly crap - a rapid sequence of stills really. But heck, who cares.

2. *This one could be important*. The deck is flipping *huge* and will not fit in many racks and AV units. Anything designed to accomodate 440mm gear could be a problem as the deck is 470mm wide, iirc. Lots of AV stands have posts 900mm apart to allow 2 x 440mm units to sit next to each other, and with the D-VHS deck, it just don't fit! Also, you can't really stack the D-VHS deck on top of something else, since it overhangs and looks really naff.

This has been a right pain in the backside for me, as it meant I had to spend another £400 on a new rack!!! Not a happy bunny.

I guess JVC thought the large size made it look more expensive??? (I can't believe there's any mechanical or electrical reason for it.) Daft decision imho; they should have stuck to 400mm.

Cheers

Chip.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also considering buying an HM-DR1000 now the price has fallen. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the quality of VHS and S-VHS performance on this machine, especially replay of prerecorded tapes, as this is what I'll mostly use it for?

14. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Have not tried prerecorded VHS, but S-VHS tapes recorded on my JVC S-VHS machine look much better when played back on the HM-DR10000 using the digital noise reduction.

D-VHS quality is superb, in a different league.

Yes it is rather large, but for the first time I have a VCR that produces truly acceptable recordings.

Highly recommended.

15. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like DVHS so much I've got three of them, and am considering a 4th!

It would appear however that JVC have discontinued this model, whether this means they are killing the format in Europe - I dont know - hope not.

They've dropped the ball though in terms of pushing the format as their mini DV to SVHS machine should have been DV to DVHS and ditto for their HDD hybrid machine.

Still - anamorphic broadcasts look a treat when taped onto DVHS!