1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Hi-Def tv sets in UK - 1125i??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Boris Blank, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    These new JVC sets are said to be compatible with HD 1125i signals - whats 1125i ?? We all expected 1080i so why have they jumped in with 1125i, is this the new Euro standard or just what the set is capable of?
    Regards,
    Paul

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1125 is the total number of scan lines for a 60Hz 1080i signal - it's just unusual terminology!

in Standard Definition TV we usually refer to the total lines in a signal (i.e. 625 line or 525 line) but in HDTV we usually refer to only the active lines (e.g. 1080 line or 720 lines). This is partially down to the PC world which has tended to use this method, but also within the broadcast world the digital HD signals are sent over a 1.5Gbs serial link and all resolutions are sent as 'windows' within a 1920x1080 raster.

the 1125/60 and 1250/50 terminologies are really from the early days of HD (e.g. the Japanese MUSE system) so for this set it's legacy compatibility rather than a new format to worry about.

Hope this helps put your mind to rest !

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Wow i haven't heard about these sets, when are they due to come out? Could be just the thing for my HTPC when i don't want to have the projector on.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
  5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks Richard - just worried that it was some new format that wouldn't work with existing kit or something!
    Paul

6. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I hate to throw a spanner in the works. I checked with JVC and they have allowed me to quote them:
    Thank you for your email. JVC specifications from JVC UK website, JVC General Product Catalogue, or JVC Vision instruction manuals do not state product compliance with HDTV broadcast.

We can confirm the above for your forum.

The Philips LCD 30" I just bought states compliance with NTSC and PAL progressive and 1080i High Definition.
    NTSC progressive works. Pal progressive does not. The manual that comes with it states that it complies with all three modes. This makes me concerned that the TV may not comply with HDTV either.

The lack of information and erroneous information makes TV set choices difficult.

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    It is a similar situation with the Panny PD30. In Japan/US it is sold as an HDTV but in the UK it is not HDTV compatible. I assume that these manufactures disable HDTV for UK sets because they think it is not a useful feature for us.

Supposedly HDTV on the PD30 can be enabled with a modification. Maybe it is the same for the JVC.

8. Mareck

Mareck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But according to Areadvd, JVC accepts 1080/50i and 1080/60i , see: http://www.areadvd.de/news/2003/200311/051120030004.shtml

Translated by Babelfish: "... As was confirmed by JVC on request, the two televisions in a the position are to show 1080i sowhl in 50 cycles per second and 60 cycles per second. Thus the JVC televisions are suitable also for the rendition of the first European HDTV transmitter Euro1080...".

Maybe words "... do not state product compliance with HDTV broadcast" are the key? Because it's tuner can't receive HDTV signals. The same way, as usually european TV sets can't receive NTSC using RF input and only accept it via AV inputs?

Regards