JVC HDS4 - update

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bakerrev, Oct 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bakerrev

bakerrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone give an update on how they are finding the JVC HDS4 after using for a few months? Any let downs, regrets?
    Is the hard disk upgradeable?
    I read somewhere it change channels on the sky box remotely - is this possible?

The price seems to be fixed around £570 and holding.
    Any comments appreciated - thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I don't like to be blunt but you can pickup a DVDR/HDD combo for that (Panasonic HS2/Toshiba RX3 or, for slightly more, Pioneer 5100/Panasonic E100) which you could then hook up to your existing VCR and get the same result. If you don't need the DVDR side of things there are some standalone HDD (DVD/HDD)recorders you can get. There isn't the need for a combo device as with DVD as there transfer HAS to go Digital>Analogue and vice versa.

3. bakerrev

bakerrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply (not so blunt!) it has helped me think a bit more!

I admit I am carefully weighing up the DVD-R route. Essentially I am looking for a device that can easily record video clips from TV which I can use for teaching purposes. Archive to VHS or camcorder.

What I like about the HDS4 is :-

1. The large HDD size 80GB (2x the HS2). I can record to my hearts content and trim out what I don't want - before archiving.
    2. The i-link which is DV in and out. This allows me to hook up a DV camcorder (both ways) to get video onto a PC. If I need DVD it is not so difficult to burn to DVD using the PC, although I admit much more awkward.
    3. Any clips I use are easier to play on VHS than DVD in the places I teach. Not many places have a DVD player.
    4. I don't end up with another box under the TV. (sky; DVD; VCR)

Your point about hooking up to a VCR is quite valid. (I don't need SVHS anyhow). I've read a lot about the HS2 on this forum and it gets mostly good reviews.

Do people still use a the VCR after migrating to DVD/HDD?

Thanks for your input. Maybe some HDS4 owners would like to comment?