JVC HDD Camera to IEEE1394?

A

AussieInLondon

Hi,

Been a LONG time since I was here. Still lurk, look and learn, but not posted.

So, here is my dilemma...I have a JVC GZ-MG57EK Everio HDD camera/camcorder. Not top of the line, but it takes some fabulous filmwork in it's best setting and the photos are crisp and clean even before I get them into Photoshop.

But I digress...

Normally, the ONLY way to get filmwork into the pc is via USB and it is recognised as an extra hard drive. Then you convert the files to a recognised format and import them into your editing app...Vegas 7 or Premiere Pro 1.5 in my case.

More and more I am getting into Premiere Pro 1.5 than Vegas 7. Just personal choice. But it will not import unless it is IEEE1394. So. at long last the question.....

WHAT cable can I use to go from a mini USB to an IEEE1394? Can't seem to find one. Needs to be here in London, or online in the UK as it is easier than waiting ages from buying from outside UK.

In a word...HELP! :lease:

PS. Just had new Dell delivered to my custom specs. Will do everything except make the tea, and I am sure you gurus could even figure that out too (creep creep)...so resources are NOT an issue.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you cannot bridge a connection between USB and Firewire (IEEE1394) using a cable, as they are completely different standards. A cable to achieve what you want does not exist I’m afraid.

The reason MiniDV camcorders have Firewire ports is so that you have a method by which to turn the footage recorded onto a tape into computer files.

However, a HDD camcorder has already created computer files in the first place, which is why you only have a USB socket, as the only thing you need to do to access the footage on a computer is to copy the files from the camera’s hard disk drive to your computer.

The problem is that Premiere in particular is best suited to working with DV-AVI files acquired directly from a MiniDV camcorder, as you have recently discovered.

What I would suggest as a first step would be to connect your camcorder via USB as normal and copy over whatever files you wish. Then I’d suggest using whatever conversion software you have to convert the files into a format that Premiere is more comfortable working with and then attempt to import the footage in this way. Maybe try an AVI file type for example.

I’d try this as a first stage and if this is unsuccessful, post back and I can assist you further.

Hope this helps

Regards.
:)

Thanks so much for the quick reply. :thumbsup:

I will give that a go tonight and let you know tomorrow how I got on.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you cannot bridge a connection between USB and Firewire (IEEE1394) using a cable, as they are completely different standards. A cable to achieve what you want does not exist I’m afraid.

The reason MiniDV camcorders have Firewire ports is so that you have a method by which to turn the footage recorded onto a tape into computer files.

However, a HDD camcorder has already created computer files in the first place, which is why you only have a USB socket, as the only thing you need to do to access the footage on a computer is to copy the files from the camera’s hard disk drive to your computer.

The problem is that Premiere in particular is best suited to working with DV-AVI files acquired directly from a MiniDV camcorder, as you have recently discovered.

What I would suggest as a first step would be to connect your camcorder via USB as normal and copy over whatever files you wish. Then I’d suggest using whatever conversion software you have to convert the files into a format that Premiere is more comfortable working with and then attempt to import the footage in this way. Maybe try an AVI file type for example.

I’d try this as a first stage and if this is unsuccessful, post back and I can assist you further.

Hope this helps

Regards.
:)

hi i have the same camera and when i plug it in and select connect ect it wont ever connect i am useing windows and a usb port but it wont work i have tryed with a dock and just plain hooked up to the camera but it wont connect is thier something blockeing it a reply back even though this topic is old would be very helpfull :)

hi i have the same camera and when i plug it in and select connect ect it wont ever connect i am useing windows and a usb port but it wont work i have tryed with a dock and just plain hooked up to the camera but it wont connect is thier something blockeing it a reply back even though this topic is old would be very helpfull :)
lolz never mind im an idiot :p:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom