JVC HD350 update

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious what upgrades I could expect if I upgraded my HD350 to a more modern version.

Obviously there is 4k and HDR, but ignoring them for the time being.

Focusing on 1080p24 playback.

I own an HD350 also - if you were to upgrade to say an X5000 you would gain the following:

More natural colours
JVC autocal
3D - now excellent apparently
Decent frame interpolation in 2D & 3D
Much brighter
Sharper
Better motion
E-shift
Compatibility with 4k & UHDBD
HDR
Some image enhancement eg clear black
Lens memory
Quieter (I think)
Probably double the contrast
Better blacks ( if brightness matched)

You would lose the automatic lens cover though, unless you went for an X7000 or X9000! If you went for one of those you would get even better contrast and blacks, plus P3 colour.

These are off the top of my head - I may have missed some other features.

Guess that has to come down to a comparison, its not like new is always better, but im quite sure its different.
I have a JVC X7 and compared to the later JVC models i have seen i find the image more natural on that one, its not easy to calibrate, and it has its problems, for sure i dont need sharper optics, i defocus it as it is, as i dont find the pixel grid very pleasing in the image.
If i was you i would try find a place where you can bring yours and do a comparison.

When you say better motion handling, how big a difference is this?

I have to say the biggest issue I have with my 350 is it kind of gets a big jerky with motion, but not sure if that is the 24p blown up or can be fixed with a better projector.

What player are you using? if you have something that is already converted to 50 or 60hz its a problem. I found the motion handeling on my SONY VPL-HW40ES much worse than my JVC feeding it 1080P 24hz, and that dont add up with what i read on forums, so i guess it depends on the eyes that see it. If you dont have one, then try se if you can borow a OPPO 83 or 103, and see if its the same.

Even better, put your JVC in your back pack and swim over here.:)

Guess that has to come down to a comparison, its not like new is always better, but im quite sure its different.
I have a JVC X7 and compared to the later JVC models i have seen i find the image more natural on that one, its not easy to calibrate, and it has its problems, for sure i dont need sharper optics, i defocus it as it is, as i dont find the pixel grid very pleasing in the image.
If i was you i would try find a place where you can bring yours and do a comparison.

How close do you sit to the screen? From a 'normal' viewing distance the pixel structure should be all but invisible on a LCOS projector.

It is worth noting that the pixel gap is smaller on the X5000 than the HD350, giving a higher fill factor and so the pixel structure should be even less visible.

When you say better motion handling, how big a difference is this?

I have to say the biggest issue I have with my 350 is it kind of gets a big jerky with motion, but not sure if that is the 24p blown up or can be fixed with a better projector.

I've not witnessed the difference myself, but motion on LCOS machines is typically not perfect due to the 'sample and hold' effect. Personally I have few issues with the motion on my HD350. Kelvin owned a HD350, then an X35 and now an X500. He like I says he has no real issues with the motion, but that it has improved visibly with the different generations.

What player are you using? if you have something that is already converted to 50 or 60hz its a problem. I found the motion handeling on my SONY VPL-HW40ES much worse than my JVC feeding it 1080P 24hz, and that dont add up with what i read on forums, so i guess it depends on the eyes that see it. If you dont have one, then try se if you can borow a OPPO 83 or 103, and see if its the same.

Even better, put your JVC in your back pack and swim over here.:)

Na I have it output from both my BD and Kodi HTPC both at 24p and I specifically choose the GPU to ensure it didn't have the intel issue of not being able to do real 23.976, although I have no way of making sure they really are outputting 23.976 instead of 24.

Scrub that, just checked using Kodi and screen displaying at 23.976 with 0% errors, so not that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom