Question JVC HD1 versus large screen TV

drummerjohn

I'm wondering how my ageing HD1 would compare to a sub £1500 70" to 75" TV.
Bulb in HD1 is due for replacement and the image is great apart from dark scenes. Will I see an appreciable improvement?
I have a dedicated cinema room so ambient light is not an issue.
Also happy with 1080p image so not pursuing a TV for 4k reasons.

Last edited:

ask4me2

The JVC HD1 was a great projector when it was new, but compared to today's standard it has some big weaknesses (processing, brightness, color accuracy, movement resolution etc.) If it newer has been serviced and cleaned inside the light engine/light path, i guess the native 15000:1 contrast range has taken a dive and has been reduced over the last 10-15 years too. (they also had a weakness of getting lower light output due to some darkening layer buildup from the lamp in the light department)

Guess it is hard to compare two so different reflective vs direct view picture technologies. one thing is the screen size. (for every 2x increase of the picture diagonal, the screen area is increased by 4x) but I find the way in the day to day use of projector vs TV is very different so it is hard to compare them and choose one before the other.

The projector needs to be watched in a dark environment with as little light pollution from other light sources as possible, a direct-view LCD TV often needs some ambient light to reduce the imperfections of the backlight, and to reduce eye strain. The TV can be used 24/7 for many years on all sorts of sourses, that projector has a time-limited bulb that needs replacing every 500-2000 hours and the picture looks quite bad if the quality of source material is low.

If you have a dedicated cinema room I guess it should be better to go for a new projector upgrade in addition to a nice TV too...

drummerjohn

Thanks. It's one or the other. My budget is £1500.
It would seem from your answer that a £1500 TV would have better image quality than my JVC HD1.
I guess the question is does a £1500 projector beat a £1500 TV for image quality.

ask4me2

I do not know of any new £1500 projectors that give you a much better picture than the HD1, but I guess that also depends on what picture parameters you want to prioritize in a projector.

Guess the Epson TW9400 at almost 2x your budget is the best picture quality vs money spent at the moment. So one solution may be to go for a nice big TV until you can afford a better projector in the future.

drummerjohn

Got a LG 82" 82UN85006LA. Shocked that it can't do black as well as my JVC HD1 - a 11 year old projector. No amount of tinkering on the LG can get it to the same level. Granted the LG is an LCD not an OLED but I thought maybe the LCD tech would have progressed better than this.

I was hoping it would be equal or better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom