• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

JVC HD1 faulty?

Flip_X

Banned
Hello

I'm troubleshooting a problem with my HD1 and hope someone can tell me if its faulty or otherwise.

I bought and received the HD1 on the 21st December so its only 12 days old. Prior to this fault I've we've been watching a large amount of TV, movies and games over the Christmas period with family and friends. The HD1 is connected to a PC via HDMI 1. The PC is the only source and has a TV tuner card(freeview) but is also used for movies and games. I have it set at [email protected]

It all worked fine up until early this evening. I was watching Rush Hour 3 and saw some large blue and black squares covering up around half the image. This persisted for about 5 seconds and then the parts of the movie that were still visible stopped(paused) and went all weird colours after which everything went blank and I got the 'No input found on HDMI1' message which looked as it normally would ie. no corruption, strange colours or blocks.

My first reaction was that the PC had locked up and it was simply graphics corruption but that seemed strange because I could still hear the sound playing. So rebooted the PC but to no avail. I was convinced it was the PC so connected up to my Samsung LE52M87 and tried that. The picture was fine so no problems with the PC. Then swapped back to the HD1 and no matter what I try I can't get a picture via HDMI1 nor HDMI2.

I have a PS3 so I tried that through HDMI and again nothing. Strangely though I did get the Xbox 360 to work but this was hooked up to the component input.

From all the messing about over the past couple of hours I think I've conclusively nailed it down to the HDMI inputs, or the circuitry that's connected to them, having gone faulty on the HD1. TBH I was a little disappointed with the HD1 before all this, what with the fan noise, the electical buzzing noise when using 60hz refresh input and slight red shading down the extreme right of the image. But this just about tops it off now and has made my mind up to ask for a refund and look at anything but a JVC model.

Extremely disappointed.

Gilbers

It sounds to me as if you have just been unlucky and had a bad unit. The problems with the buzzing and red-shading could have been early signs of the impending failure - they certainly are not typical of the HD1. I would definitely give your dealer a chance to replace the unit with a new one. When the HD1 works it's an amazing piece of kit, so I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Avi

Distinguished Member
You appear to have several issues. The shading may be a consequence of MC or CA depending on your specific unit and installation (zoom and h/v shift). Colour shading can vary from unit to unit and may be exhagerated by certain combinations zoom and shift. It may be possible to correct this to some degree via the panel shift feature or by finding the sweet spot of the lens. The other issues sound like you have a defective unit.

AVI

Flip_X

Banned
Thanks for the comments and thoughts guys.

Despite spitting the dummy in the immediate disappointment of the failure I've decided to give another HD1 a go. I must say that both JVC and especially Ken at Ivojo have been absolutely amazing with their concern and after sales service.

Never have I had such a thoughtful follow up on problem by not only the retailer but the manufacturer themselves who both called to try and get to the bottom of the problem. Ken and JVC have both contacted me outside of business hours and very quickly as I only reported the problem late last night which speaks enormous volumes about their dedication to us lot. Its a sad reflection on our consumer society when this sort of service is out of the ordinary and not indicative so yes, I'm quite shocked because I regularly buy electrical equipment and never have I had this level of service.

I'm very content knowing that no matter what problems I have within the 3 year warranty period of the machine, both JVC and Ivojo will get the problem sorted.

In very stark contrast I could tell you a mini horror story about my Samsung LE52M87 and how I'm now on the 3rd unit after just 2 months and a lot of headbanging at an unsympathetic Samsung and Currys to just get something that works as one would reasonably expect of a TV.

So to summarise: A sales rep from JVC is personally collecting the machine tomorrow where its being sent off to the boffins for a diagnostic - this again, is pleasing because I genuinely feel that JVC are really going to take a good look at the machine to find out the problem rather than just stick a bunch of new components in and then flog it on as a refurb. Its also reassuring to know that JVC were surprised and concerned that the machine was as sick as it was because they've had very few absolute failures such is the case here. So when one does die they are particularly interested in knowing exactly why or how that happened.

In the meantime Ken at Ivojo is taking a new machine home with him this evening and is going to put it through its paces to make sure its all up to spec with none of the issues I've been complaining about (well expect maybe fan noise which I've now got a solution for).

Moral of the story? Definitely don't tar Ivojo nor JVC with the same brush as you would other manufacturers or retailers. They aren't even in the same league.

From being, and I quote, "extremely disappointed". I'm now once again feeling good about my purchase.

Thanks Ken at Ivojo and the guys at JVC!

Avi

Distinguished Member

Despite spitting the dummy in the immediate disappointment of the failure I've decided to give another HD1 a go. I must say that both JVC and especially Ken at Ivojo have been absolutely amazing with their concern and after sales service.

Never have I had such a thoughtful follow up on problem by not only the retailer but the manufacturer themselves who both called to try and get to the bottom of the problem. Ken and JVC have both contacted me outside of business hours and very quickly as I only reported the problem late last night which speaks enormous volumes about their dedication to us lot. Its a sad reflection on our consumer society when this sort of service is out of the ordinary and not indicative so yes, I'm quite shocked because I regularly buy electrical equipment and never have I had this level of service.

I'm very content knowing that no matter what problems I have within the 3 year warranty period of the machine, both JVC and Ivojo will get the problem sorted.

In very stark contrast I could tell you a mini horror story about my Samsung LE52M87 and how I'm now on the 3rd unit after just 2 months and a lot of headbanging at an unsympathetic Samsung and Currys to just get something that works as one would reasonably expect of a TV.

So to summarise: A sales rep from JVC is personally collecting the machine tomorrow where its being sent off to the boffins for a diagnostic - this again, is pleasing because I genuinely feel that JVC are really going to take a good look at the machine to find out the problem rather than just stick a bunch of new components in and then flog it on as a refurb. Its also reassuring to know that JVC were surprised and concerned that the machine was as sick as it was because they've had very few absolute failures such is the case here. So when one does die they are particularly interested in knowing exactly why or how that happened.

In the meantime Ken at Ivojo is taking a new machine home with him this evening and is going to put it through its paces to make sure its all up to spec with none of the issues I've been complaining about (well expect maybe fan noise which I've now got a solution for).

Moral of the story? Definitely don't tar Ivojo nor JVC with the same brush as you would other manufacturers or retailers. They aren't even in the same league.

From being, and I quote, "extremely disappointed". I'm now once again feeling good about my purchase.

Hope everything gets sorted. :) My experience of JVC and their dealers has also been very good. At an event last year forum members even got to meet and talk with the chief designer of the HD and that's pretty uncommon in this market.

AVI

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member

It's always good to read about customer service like you have described. Funnily enough I have spent the day setting up an HD1 and HD100 for review and I am always surprised with the JVC and it's performance. The HD1 is still one of the very best out there for under £5k so I hope you get your issues sorted out quickly and can start enjoying your new toy.

sapper

Glad if it is not yet resolved, that both companies are doing tehir upmost in dealing with you rissue...

Unlike another thread on this forum about a a large stack 'em high flog them quick online retailer...

I hope that JVC give you a good report on your old projector, and that your repalcement is the dog's whatsits...

Its a pity the HD1 is only 700 lumens, I guess it would be too dark for my living room should I get a projector

Adrian

Flip_X

Banned
Thanks again fellas :smashin:

I'll be happy if the new machine fixes the buzzing and the red shading. If that's sorted then its a keeper. Nothing to criticise on image quality even with a duff machine.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Its a pity the HD1 is only 700 lumens, I guess it would be too dark for my living room should I get a projector

Bear in mind that not all manufacturers use the same basis for quoting output. The JVC HD1 is pretty bright and the 700 lumens is more of less calibrated lumens. Some PJ's claim 1200+ lumens but are actually less bright than the JVC once calibrated. :)

AVI

sapper

Bear in mind that not all manufacturers use the same basis for quoting output. The JVC HD1 is pretty bright and the 700 lumens is more of less calibrated lumens. Some PJ's claim 1200+ lumens but are actually less bright than the JVC once calibrated. :)

AVI

I was just talking about this with a friend on this issue about 20 minutes ago.

Different manufacturer's use totally different figures, many of which cant be compared to....

If I do go the projector route, I am tmpted to go the PT-AX200 (720) and see how it goes...

If I/We like it then upgrade later when 1080 Gear is even more affordable than it is...

Adrian

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It's not unusual for real lumen and contrast figures to be 30 to 40% lower than advertised. The advertised figures are for highest possible output with no regard for video optimisation. As soon as you start to balance the RGB to get anything approaching accurate colours the lumens and contrast can drop dramatically. Simply setting the white and black levels correctly can drop 10%.

Gary

Flip_X

Banned
OK just wrapping things up here. Got my replacement today and after really going over it with a fine tooth comb I can state its seemingly perfect. Gone is the weird 60hz buzz. Colour uniformity across the screen is spot on so no red tint down one side. And finally both HDMI's work as they should.

The fan noise is still the same but I placed some acoustic foam behind and on the shelf itself and its just taken away the edge and calmed it slightly. I'm not going to lie and say the noise has gone but I'm learning to live with it.

Just about to settle down, for what's left of the evening, and watch Ratatouille on Bluray :thumbsup:

mallard

Just a few observations about the hd1 noise. When i first set it up it was in front of where i was sitting and it was silent. I've now finished my HT and am waiting to fit a ceiling mount, which has just arrived. In the meantime as a temporary measure i used a couple of microwave wall brackets and started noticing the noise (nothing like my infocus). with more investigation i noticed that the noise seemed to be coming fronm the bottom, where the filter is. Hopefully when fitted to the ceiling mount and inverted the noise should reduce. Hope to do this tonight or at the weekend.

Flip_X

Banned
Glad to hear its sorted, and your impressions of a correctly performing HD1 are ? :thumbsup:

Absolutely superb. We watched Ratatouille last night and Blade Runner Final Cut this evening, both on bluray.

I've tried to take a couple of shots but its tough as hell to get something accurate and its even worse when you have a camera with a million and one settings that you aren't sure about. I gave up after a short while fiddling and left everything, except the flash, in the auto mode. The colours aren't a million miles off but the camera adds noise to the images that isn't there on screen. It also crushes white detail pretty badly in mixed light and dark scenes, this is especially noticeable in the Ratatouille shot. These shots are pretty poor in comparison to the real thing but I've messed around taking them so I'll post them.

I've resized them and cropped the extra bits off the side so just the interesting stuff is showing.

pjshot3.jpg

pjshot5.jpg

pjshot1.jpg

pjshot4.jpg

RLT

I've also got a red line, not shading, down the extreme right hand edge of my HD1, both by HDMI & componant.
I've tried the pixel shift which corrects this, but only results in positioning a red line to the extreme left side of the screen.
Don't notice the line when viewing as it usually sits on the black edge of the screen and you've got to be close to see it.
I've tried shifting the other colours to but to no effect.
Does'nt appear to effect pictue quality.

Any thoughts fom the experts ?

RLT

Flip_X

Banned
Just a few observations about the hd1 noise. When i first set it up it was in front of where i was sitting and it was silent. I've now finished my HT and am waiting to fit a ceiling mount, which has just arrived. In the meantime as a temporary measure i used a couple of microwave wall brackets and started noticing the noise (nothing like my infocus). with more investigation i noticed that the noise seemed to be coming fronm the bottom, where the filter is. Hopefully when fitted to the ceiling mount and inverted the noise should reduce. Hope to do this tonight or at the weekend.

Thanks for that.

Its interesting because I have mine shelf mounted around 3/4 of the way up the wall.

I lined the shelf with 1" thick acoustic foam and stuck some 1" bits of wood where the feet go so as to allow the projector to stand off from the foam and not obscure any ventilation. Also directly behind the project I've wedged some 2" acoustic foam between it and the wall. It makes a noticeable different but I still notice it from time to time. The main benefit from the foam is that it filters out some the annoying pitch of the fans and leaves just the usual hum that fans produce.

I still think the machine could benefit from some high quality PC fans such as the silent types but I'm not about to go voiding the warranty and risking the operating safety of the machine to find out. If JVC are reading, please use better quality fans in the next model.

maj74

Your red line down the side is there precisely because of the pixel shift. Because you hae the ability to shift each panel individually (A VERY rare feature) to ensure the alignment of pixels in the picture is perfect. The downside is that if you have to shift a panel sideways, that panel is going to have a line of pixels over the edge of the other 2 panels on that side, hence the strip of red. I have the same on my HD100 but to be honest I think it is an irrelevant price to pay for being able to have perfect alignment in the pixels of the picture.

bolts

Just got my HD1 yesterday and have started to have a play. Wife's not too keen on the fan noise but I'll get some foam and give that a try.
The problem I do seem to have is with feeding the thing a 1080P signal? I have tried this from both the XE1 & PS3 and found it only displays a picture when fed with 1080i or less. Setting the XE1 to 1080p makes the signal either totally drop off or flick on & off. (Picture still looks good though) The PS3 is just showing a message saying something about the wrong type of signal?

Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom