JVC HD1 and Sky HD

HDPete

Established Member
Reaction score
The Sky HD box can output 720p or 1080i. Given the quality of scaling in the JVC HD1 Genum chip, what are people using as the optimum output resolution from their sky box?

(Are many Sky HD channels broadcast in 1080i, or is the box upscaling from 720p)?

Cheers
Pete

What people normally do is set it to auto, so it will always output whatever the native resolution is. So if you are watching SD stuff, it will output 576p, and then I think all HD is 1080i.

I believe there are some pixel cropping issues with 576 to the HD1, so you may want to check SD channels and see how auto compares to setting Sky box to 1080i so it upscales.

HTH,

T.

The Sky HD box can output 720p or 1080i. Given the quality of scaling in the JVC HD1 Genum chip, what are people using as the optimum output resolution from their sky box?

(Are many Sky HD channels broadcast in 1080i, or is the box upscaling from 720p)?

Cheers
Pete

I use 1080i and with good material it looks great. Also check the contrast setting on Sky box.

AVI

Ah...

I always thought that the contrast only applies to the menu system....

Have I understood this right then: Sky HD outputs 1080 interlaced. The HD1 will deinterlace it and scale to the progressive signal. This is better than a 720p and upscaling?

Thanks both for your prompt feedback.
Pete

Ah...

I always thought that the contrast only applies to the menu system....

Have I understood this right then: Sky HD outputs 1080 interlaced. The HD1 will deinterlace it and scale to the progressive signal. This is better than a 720p and upscaling?

Thanks both for your prompt feedback.
Pete

On my SkyHD contast also applies to the image. On the movies I've watched 1080i to the HD1 has the edge IMO.

AVI

So do you set the contrast to Low and adjust the HD1 accordingly?

In a side by side comparison with the TV, low definately offers the most realistic starting point. Perhaps drop the HD1 contrast slightly.

If it helps, when I had my kit ISF'd the technician set the contrast on my Sky HD box to Medium, and told me that if at HIGH then this would cause crushed whites

As far as I'm aware all of the Sky HD channels are actually broadcast in the 1080i format. Whether the original material was shot in that format is a different matter, but I would recommend outputting 1080i from the Sky HD box as that means it is not have to do anything to the signal before it leaves the box.

The best setting in most circumstances seems to be to set the box to Auto so that no scaling is done in the Sky Box.

Medium is a better starting point than Low on the HD box.

On most systems you also get benefits by connecting via component so that no deinterlacing of SD content happens in the Sky box but in the tests I have done the HD1 isn't so happy with component so in this case I would advise using the HDMI connector.

HTH

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom