JVC GZ-MG20 Mac Connection

nightofjoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Anyone out there have the JVC GZ-MG20 20gb camcorder?

I just got one for pretty cheap on eBay. Everything seems to work fine & I'm happy with it, but I can't see how to get the files off the cam onto my mac.

I have the instruction manual, and connecting is pretty much as I expected, but I can't seem to drag off any files that want to play as video onto my desktop. I know it records in MPG2 and I'll need to convert that if I want to use anything like iMovie, but I thought I'd be able to play the file as is in something like VLC.

What am I missing? Do I need a driver? The HD is mounting, I can see:

SD_VIDEO > PRG001 >
MOV076.MOD
MOV076.MOI
PRG001.PGI

and

MRG_INFO >
MGR_DATA
PRG_MGR

But can't drag anything off, and after a couple of mins, the HD folder on my desktop vanishes, as if the camera has timed out.

HELP! :rolleyes:

If you fire up iMovie, plug in the camera, then go to iMovie & select Import from Camera... ?

If you fire up iMovie, plug in the camera, then go to iMovie & select Import from Camera... ?

Ah, OK. Didn't try that as I'd been led to believe that iMovie couldn't work with the files my cam produces. I'll try that when I get home....thanks.

Ah, OK. Didn't try that as I'd been led to believe that iMovie couldn't work with the files my cam produces. I'll try that when I get home....thanks.

I think it can depend on the version of iMovie you have, so make sure it's all updated first

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom