JVC GZ-MG20 Mac Connection

nightofjoy

Hi.

Anyone out there have the JVC GZ-MG20 20gb camcorder?

I just got one for pretty cheap on eBay. Everything seems to work fine & I'm happy with it, but I can't see how to get the files off the cam onto my mac.

I have the instruction manual, and connecting is pretty much as I expected, but I can't seem to drag off any files that want to play as video onto my desktop. I know it records in MPG2 and I'll need to convert that if I want to use anything like iMovie, but I thought I'd be able to play the file as is in something like VLC.

What am I missing? Do I need a driver? The HD is mounting, I can see:

SD_VIDEO > PRG001 >
MOV076.MOD
MOV076.MOI
PRG001.PGI

and

MRG_INFO >
MGR_DATA
PRG_MGR

But can't drag anything off, and after a couple of mins, the HD folder on my desktop vanishes, as if the camera has timed out.

HELP! :rolleyes:

nightofjoy

If you fire up iMovie, plug in the camera, then go to iMovie & select Import from Camera... ?

Ah, OK. Didn't try that as I'd been led to believe that iMovie couldn't work with the files my cam produces. I'll try that when I get home....thanks.

DocJackal

Ah, OK. Didn't try that as I'd been led to believe that iMovie couldn't work with the files my cam produces. I'll try that when I get home....thanks.

I think it can depend on the version of iMovie you have, so make sure it's all updated first

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom