1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC GRD20 - 50 - 70 owners.........

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Orbitalzone, May 25, 2004.

1. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have the GRD50EK camcorder which I've had 11 months and am generally pleased with except for one complaint and I wonder if others suffer too?

I notice that after recording short clips then pausing (say for 10 seconds) then recording again, then the same pause / record - after several times of doing this I get a 'Head Cleaning Required' message appears. Now this did happen almost from new and with new tapes. I am careful and never leave the cam in rec/pause mode for more than very short lengths (15 secs max or I turn the cam off)

I notice that it happens more often in warm temps than cold.

I only use one type of tapes (Panasonic, all same type) and the cam never actually needs cleaning. Switching it off, then on again clears this error warning.

I just wanted to know if others suffer from this quirk or is it just mine?

I'm a former TV/Video repair engineer and am quite confident that the heads do not need cleaning (I've never had any dropouts or problems, and using a head cleaner doesn't make the warning go away any more than turning it OFF then ON again.

The cam has only had 8 x 60 min tapes recorded (and uploaded to PC) once, I never reuse tapes and am very careful not to overstress the mechanism. I think it's safe to say the heads aren't worn out!

Thanks for any comments

2. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI, i bought a gr60 last week and had this message a few times already.

But its not happened over the weekend during about an hours filming ?

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    I use to have that on my JVC 357,the head went after 13 months.Just get a blue screen now.PRC didn't want to know as it was 1month out of warrenty.Only had about 3 hours of use out of it. :thumbsdow

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    If it was just a month outside warranty, JVC would almost certainly cover it, assuming it was just a normal failure and there was no damage.

5. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem when i first got the camcorder.But i thought it might be the tape that i was using (tdk) .So i bought 3 JVC mini dv tapes and the problem has disappeared completly.Hope that help.

6. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the replies... I've use Panasonic tapes throughout.. ( I think Panasonic make tapes for almost every other brand too)

Mine is 11months old.... suppose I'd better think whether to send it back or not...hmmmm

7. Mentorron

Mentorron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if it's related to the E04 error, which is a result of moisture in the recording mechanism. This seems to happen when moving the camera between highly different temperatures (usually low to high), or in high humidity locations. I see many posts from the humid southern USA, and at times of year in more extreme climes when temperatures vary greatly between indoors/outdoors. Using a hair blower at the NO HEAT setting into the open tape compartment or leaving the camera powered on (with no tape) for 24 hours frequently helps.