1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC GRD-73 Pass Through?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by boabw, Aug 2, 2004.

1. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a JVC GRD 73 and have found references on some web sites that indicates this camera has Analogue to Digital Pass Through.

If this is so I can't get it to work.

I am able to capture images from VCR to Camera and then from Camera to PC without problems. Obviously this is time consuming since I have to do the process twice.

When I set the camera in Play mode and then play the VCR I can see the images from the VCR but as soon as I ask the capture program, either Windows MM2 or Ulead VideoStudio 8 to capture this immediatetly starts the tape inside the camera playing, I understand why this is happening because it wants to capture the images from the camcorder tape. This to me does not sound like what "pass through" is described as.

A review at Camcorderinfo.com for the GRD72 stated it had pass through and that it was identical to the 73.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    To use the passthrough option of your camcorder you need to set the capture software to not use device control. Once device control has been disabled the PC should then just capture whatever signal is being fed to it via firewire.

Mark.

3. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do you disable Device Control then, I have not seen this option.

Cheers

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Is this not the same as using it as a web cam? And if not how do you use it as a web cam.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Right I've just had a look at Adobe Premiere (the software I use) and disabling device control is within the capture window options.
    I then looked at MM2 and could not find an option to disable device control.
    I do not have and have never used Ulead VideoStudio 8 so am unable to check this software - sorry!

Well its sort of the same. With the editing software you are useing the software to capture to a file. With a webcam you are often transmitting live over the internet or recording to send by e-mail. With this method you would not want to be sending files at 1Gb per 4 minutes - I don't think even the fastest broad band would keep pace with this.
    A DV cam can be used as a web cam, but it would normally (but not always) be connected by USB and different software used that will compress the video to a much more manageable size.

Mark.

6. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simply take the MiniDV TAPE OFF from GR-D73 . So the signal coming from VCR will straight go to JVC firewire output ... and to PC

7. dumbfeet57

dumbfeet57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem with my JVC camcorder and software. I am trying to do a direct DVD burn from some old home 8 mm camcorder tapes via pass through on the JVC. I have tried 4 different programs: MS Movie Maker, Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.0, Ulead Power Producer 2 Gold, and Sony Movie Studio 4/DVD Architect 2. Only the Sony program can disable Device Control as far as I can tell, but it won't allow a direct DVD burn. The Roxio and Ulead products allow direct burn, but as soon as I try to initiate capture/burn, I get a program error (without a DV tape in the JVC) or the signal from the 8mm player is interupted and the JVC starts "playing" the miniDV tape (when miniDV tape is present, obviously).

Anyone have any ideas?

:confused:

Thanks

8. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On my Sony, there is a setting that has to be switched on to enable A/V to DV conversion.
    Is there any such setting on your JVCs? :confused:

9. casey

casey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the **D93 version of your camera. All you need to do is remove the casette so that there is no casette in the camera, then switch the camera to 'PLAY'. Go into the menu and ensure that 'S/AV INPUT' is 'ON', if not turn it ON. Thats it.
    Casey.

10. dumbfeet57

dumbfeet57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I can find no setting on my camera specifically for conversion, only S/AV INPUT. For some reason, leaving the tape out only works if the software has the option to disable device control. I am still only able to capture using Sony Vegas Music Studio (with device control disabled). None of the other 3 programs can capture using pass through. The camera (JVC GR-D72) is in Play mode with S/AV INPUT set to "ON". There is no tape in the camera. Here are the errors messages I receive:

Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.0 (direct burn to DVD capture): Capturing failed. Please ensure there is a tape in the camera.

Power Producer 2 Gold (normal capture to file): Insert a DV tape and switch your camncorder to VCR mode.

Power Producer 2 Gold (direct burn to DVD capture): Streaming data is not ready. Please make sure DV is in VCR mode.

Windows Movie Maker (normal capture to file): There is no tape in your DV device. Please insert a tape to continue and capture video.

I can get by with the Sony program, but I was really looking to do direct burn to DVD, which the Sony program is not set up to do as far as I can tell. Anybody have any work arounds for software that does not have the ability to shut off device control? Alternatively, anyone know how to direct burn using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0/DVD Architect Studio 2.0? Last resort: Does anyone know of a reasonably priced program with BOTH device control disabling AND direct burn to DVD capabilities?

Thanks,

Still :confused: in the :us: