1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Gr-dvx507

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by skyliner, Jul 2, 2002.

1. skyliner

skyliner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any thoughts on the above camcorder.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Excellent camera, and up to date.
    Thoughts in any particular regard?

3. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gringottsdirect,

Would you, please inform us all as to WHY are the JVC mini DV Cams so "good" ?

Thank you!

Regards,

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AAA,
    Perhaps you prefer Sony and Panasonic, that's fine. I haven't a problem with your advice, I like the new JVC camcorders too, so they are worth a look.
    I'm sure folks can read your posts and read other's posts and then try the cameras out in a shop as you suggest.
    I can see why a request was made for more people to use the camcorder section, however, the idea is that people may ask questions, look at various replies, check out suggestions and make up their own minds. If AAA is the sole member to post replies it may be lacking, just as it would if any other one person did it.
    You may prefer Sony, but to say they are less prone to "hunting" than all the other makes, is just opinion.
    To say the best feature of the GR-DVP7 is the ability to put it in your pocket, is just umbrage, on your part.
    To answer simple requests, such as made by Camcorder Novice earlier today, with a happy outcome for her is desired by the forum.
    Panasonic, JVC, Sony, Hitachi, Canon and Samsung have good products that may be just what someone is looking for.
    I'll post my thoughts, you may post yours...

5. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gringottsdirect,

All I have asked ( I am sure that will be of interest to many members as well !)
    is to give us your educated opinion about JVC Cams, features, etc. in comparison to the other makes.

Thank you.

Regards,

6. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I too would like to hear as many different points of view regarding the various merits of JVC, Sony & Panasonic...

I think we all know the purpose of these forums is to allow different people to share & air their different opinions, helping others, such as myself, decide on the pros and cons of various models.
    Remember emails and posts can be a little emotionless at times, and it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick of someone elses post.

So,
    I am also in the market for a tiny little DV cam; I currently have a bigger Panasonic DV that's never failed and produces great pictures. But I'd like a palm size camera, and the JVC ones do indeed look very small and sexy.
    Still picture taking is not important, as I have a 4M pixel Fuji, but this feature won't exlcude a model from my final choice.
    DV in & out is important to me, as is picture stabalising. Do the tiny JVCs have optical stabilising, or just digital?

Your thoughts...?

Cheers,

7. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I agree with you. The more expirienced opinions here, the better !

If you don't mind the picture q-ty, but you want small and SLIM one, then the new megapixel JVC DVP7 is (Maybe)for you.

But there is a strong competition from Canon MV5(MC), which only loses to DVP7 on Not having a Mega Pixel CCD, But it reproduses great pictures and IS Very Small !

One of the things on Which I don't like in the JVC DVPs is the zoom-whell, which is placed around the Rec button. Looks good, but try and Zoom, when holding the Cam with one hand...( What is the point of having a compromised Small Cam and have to hold it with two hands?!....).
    The Cam moves( much more than the case when the Zoom is placed on the side...) a lot and you have to hold it with two hands...

There is also a focus "hunting", esp. in a low light.
    I had JVC ...9. At the time( 1yr ago) that was the top upright model from JVC.
    If you are inside the house, you will def. notice the this. On a bright light, the picture was quite OK( for the money)...

My advice to you is :If you have the cash, Go fo Sony(PC9; PC101-1Mega Pixel CCD).
    Less to spent-go for Panasonic GS ...very small...good picture.
    Or Canon MV4i, good price now...

Regards,

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    wellsi,
    JVC GR-DVP7, GR-DVP5, GR-DVX507 and GR-DVX400, in other words the current pocketable models feature High Resolution Digital Image Stabiliser, but no "optical/mechanical" stabilising system.

9. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Excellent; thanks for that both of you.

A final question; I know that digital zoom is generally not worth the effort, given its degredation of picture quality.

Is it a similar case with picture stabilisation? Is digital stabilisation worthless or only slightly inferior to optical stabilisers?

Thanks for your help,

10. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optical IS is Better.
    Some people notice it, some don't.

Ian , what kind of Cam do you want ?
    If don't mind it a bit bigger, then go for the one with optical IS :
    (Canon MV30i is a very good model, couple of Yrs old,if you find it -£500, 12X zoom, Optical IS, 3,5'' screen!...
    or
    Panasonic MX2B-cheap-~£5-600, OIS, 2.5'' screen, Leica D. lenses! Long body...

OR

Do you want a very small one,
    Then you can Not have OIS on it !!!
    Then go for PC9,101 ;MV3,4,5, Pan GS, JVS DVP1,3,7...507...

Regards,