1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC GR-DVP9 or something else

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by CamUser, Apr 12, 2003.

1. CamUser

CamUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Camcorder Gurus,

I just wanted to ask if anybody there has already a first hand experience on using the JVC GR-DVP9 camcorder. I am thinking of buying this but would like to get any info or reviews first on its pros and cons. I am also trying to know if this model accepts Analogue signals from a VCR, because I wanted to convert my old VHS tapes to digital. The jvc.co.uk is not giving a complete specs on this and also I am waiting for "What Camcorder" to give any reviews.

Are there other models there that I can look at in the range of £800 which is something a bit similar to the JVC GR-DVP9, the analogue signal input is important.

Thanks very much.

2. CamUser

CamUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody has replied, I guess the JVC GR-DVP9 is still a very new product or it is not that very appealing to buy.

Feedback please...:p

3. rumnblack

rumnblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a DVP9 at the weekend. So far just played about with it and started copying my 8mm tapes to MiniDV for editing.

Really impressed with the build quality and features. Performance yet to be tested fully!

The appeal of this camcorder was :
    Size (almost as small as MicroMV Sony IP7)
    Digital stills on SD card rather than memory stick
    1600x1200 stills
    Build quality
    Price (price matched at Jessops at £735 and part exchanged old SLR gear)

BTW It definately supports Analogue In

4. CamUser

CamUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know what the diferrence is between the JVC GR-DVP9 and the DVP8?

Thanks very much.

5. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i can tell the only difference is that the DVP9 has analogue input and the DVP8 doesn't. The pdf manual downloadable from the JVC website lists the differences.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded the manual and it would appear that the DV connection (firewire) is one way only on the DVP8 while it is both directions on the DVP9

7. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought GR-DVP9 probably among the first in the country as soon as JVC released it to the distributors. It's not because I'm some AV enthusiast, but I was under pressure to buy camcorder for my baby's first birthday, and I wanted this model because of form factor.
    I had Sony analogue camcorder before, but it was bulky, hence left in hotel room most often.
    I also hoped that it's 2 megapixel stills can replace digital camera, so I don't have to carry both around.
    At first glance I was impressed with the features they managed to fit into such small body.
    Video quality is really good. Low light recording as well.
    Also, I was pleasantly surprised how simple it's to operate it and use buttons. I have very big hand and that was one of my concerns.
    All the specs you can probably find on JVC or distributors web site.
    I bought mine from www.askdirect.co.uk for about £760, everything was fine with that.
    I haven't read whole manual yet (and probably will never), it's pretty intuitive.
    Software that comes with it for DV editing is awfull so better start looking elsewere for something that you'll use.
    I tested it as webcam and that works fine, quality is good.
    Tried to connect it via USB and that worked O.K. as well.
    Did some capturing over iLink (firewire) and that works fine as well.
    The only problems I found so far is that unfortunatelly quality of still shots is really poor. Images are often blurred, especially if taken inside. Outside, on sunny day they are just O.K., so my idea of leaving digital camera at home will not work.
    Of course, flash would probably improve situation, but that's extra, and I'm not sure if I want to invest there, when I have 5Mpixel Minolta D'image 7i, and it will never match it's quality.
    Also, I haven't seen any buttons for changing any parametars regarding taking still shots (still have to read manual, I presume), which means that it's working in fully automatic mode.
    I haven't tested all the features and haven't created my first movie yet because I had problems with camera being detected under Win2000. It turned out that it doesn't like my network card, so when I replaced it everything worked fine and I discovered that just last night.
    Network card was otherwise working perfectly well.
    And that's essentialy all I can say so far.:hiya:

8. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also on the verge of buying one of these so I appreciate all the comments. I've seen it available for £719 inc delivery at letsgodigital.co.uk thats only £100 more then I saw a second hand DVP7 for in Jessops Swansea the other day.

9. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slight update,
    I created my first movie, using Pinnacle studio. I burnt it as VCD on CD-RW and played on my Sony DVD player without problems. Also, I saved a copy in max quality back on the tape in camcorder via firewire. No problems at all. Software controls the camcorder via firewire.
    I forgot to mention that, if camcorder is detected properly, it appears in Scanners and Cameras group in Control Panel.
    Nik