1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC GR DV3000 help, advice please ..

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by benny, Dec 2, 2002.

1. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, First post here.

About six months ago I purchased the above camcorder. I was going to get a Sony, but the sales chap convinced me to get this model. I believe that this was a mistake.
    It works ok, but my main gripe with it is the colours on the tv whilst watching the playback. I have Panasonic DV tapes that were bought at the same time as the camcorder.
    The colours are very flat and not as bright and colourful as the normal tv picture.
    Could there be a problem with the camera, or are there any other makes of tapes that will give me a better picture?
    Any advice is most welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Ben

2. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strange, I've got a DV2000 that I picked up cheapish in Singapore (not as cheap as it should have been cos your 3000 has several important advantages over it that I wasn't aware of at the time) - I've also been using Panasonic tapes, and the colours look absolutely fine to me on a TV through s-video. Except in low light, which is my main gripe with this camera. I also tried the acclaimed Sony TRV50 and didn't like the feel, the zoom controls, the quality of the LCD or the focussing speed as much so it's all swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway... I know both the lens and the CCD on the 3000 is different so maybe my example isn't so relevant.

You sure you've got the white balance set ok? I'm sure you have, but that seems the most likely cause of colour problems that I can think of (being the beginner that I am) - how does it look on the LCD?

3. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually something else I've thought of - is the camera NTSC or PAL? My s-video NTSC picture on my TV looked very washed out until I found something in the system menu to fix it.

4. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Choddo,

The picture on the LCD is perfect, just the way I would like it to look on the tv!:)

>>I've also been using Panasonic tapes, and the colours look absolutely fine to me on a TV through s-video. <<

I just use the cables supplied from the camera into a stereo Panasononic video recorder. I dont have an s-video recorder.

>>You sure you've got the white balance set ok?<<
    >>My s-video NTSC picture on my TV looked very washed out until I found something in the system menu to fix it.<<

I will check both of these later.

Thanks again,

Ben

5. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it looks ok on the LCD it's probably the connection through the video that's causing the problem - you tried direct into the TV? Even if you don't have the composite (yellow, white & red leads) socket on the TV, you can get a little adapter block to push that through SCART for about a tenner.

6. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again,
    I do use the yellow, red and white leads into the recorder but I will look into the other connection types.
    Thanks
    Ben

7. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok. What type of TV do you have? If it's fairly new & has more than one SCART socket, you should also be able to plug in and get a far superior picture via the s-video lead (the one with a little 4pin plug on it) & SCART adapter (the adapters usually include s-video AND composite in one device) - you still have to use the other lead as well to do audio using the red & white phonos.

On my 2000 you have to plug on a little adapter in place of the battery and use AC power to get the s-video socket, don't know if it's the same on the 3000.