1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Gr-d31ek

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gremlin, Mar 4, 2005.

1. gremlin

gremlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post on here so be gentle with me :lease:

I bought this camcorder a few months ago and have loads of footage of the kids. Now I want to have a go at editing it.

The problem is that I dont have any leads to connect to my PC. Im fine with using packages but I just dont have a clue when it comes to hardware/accessories for the PC.

Can someone please advise me what leads I need to purchase to be able to do this. Any extras I need to purchase and how much I might expect to pay?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks, jane x

2. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK, seeing as no one else has said anything, I'll see what I can do :)

Now firstly you need a relatively modern PC to do some decent editing, even then it can be a steep learning curve but fun!

Ideally your PC should be a minimum spec something like this:

Pentium 3 or AMD Athlon 800Mhz or better (faster is better!)
    256mb or better (more is def better!)
    At least 40gb hard drive space or more (less hard drive space means much less editing possible)
    Windows XP or 2000 (Win 98 or ME can be used but isn't so reliable/flexible)

Now the PC needs a Firewire IEE1394 socket or card to connect to your camcorder. Not all PC's has this socket as standard so check your PC user manual or check 'Device Manager' which is accessuble from Control Panel > System> Hardware > Device Manager

If you don't have firewire on your PC, a simple to install firewire card should cost something like £15 to £30 and might even come with some basic software to edit with.

Many camcorders come with a USB socket and all PC's have those too, BUT you cannot generally get good quality video using USB, it's there for using the digital still image feature that your camcorder might have and not really much use for video editing.

You also ideally need editing software if you didn't get any with the PC or firewire card. Pinnacle Studio9 is a good all rounder as is Ulead Videostudio

If you have broadband you could download a 30 day trial of Pinnacle Studio9 HERE

I'd also check out the useful www.simplydv.co.uk webite forums for more help and guides.

3. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orbitalzone,

In my Device Manager it says 'IEEE1349 Bus Host Controller' does this mean my PC has a firewire connection?

Thanks in advance

Tim

4. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  5. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gremlin,
    If your PC is running XP then you already have an adequate editing program in Windows Movie Maker. This comes as part of the package. If you haven't already, upgrade to the service pack 2 for free from the windows web page or on most cover CDs of computer mags. This would give you the more advanced features of MM2. :smashin:
    Brum

7. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes that's a good place to start, the only think MovieMaker2 doesn't do is convert the video to MPG2 for DVD or allow burning direct to DVD like many packages now do.

There.s a good site devoted to MM2 : http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

8. gremlin

gremlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to say thanks for the info Orbit and Brummy

Yes I do have XP and have all of the spec you mentioned so thats a good start :thumbsup:

Only problem is I dont have the firewire. Are they easy/ cheap to install ? Any pointers in the best value ( but mostly idiotproof ) firewire socket.

Again your advice is much appreciated and I will look into the MM2 site you both suggested.

Cheers again

jane x

9. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I should have added, installing it is very very easy. Just open the case, find a spare slot that matches the connectors along the edge of the card. Remove the bit of metal on the case that corresponds to that slot. Click in the card and secure with a screw (in the hole on the end of the face plate.) Then boot up and let windows lead the way!!