JVC GR-D23EK AV cable issues

PeachMoopig

Novice Member
I'm new so apologies if this is not the right place, I have the above model Mini DV cam and I am attempting to use the AV out to RCA to capture some old tapes.

I have purchased an AV out cable which if plugged in correctly outputs a green fuzzy screen with some shapes that can be made out, now if I switch the white the and yellow RCA around the picture is nearly clear and the audio is present but with a buzz.

Can someone suggest how to tell if the AV cable is bad or I have the wrong type?

The AV out cable is 4 pole (not sure of the pin order), I also have an S-video to RCA but that doesn't seem to work at all.

Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would suggest the cable is the wrong type. See if a search using the model number brings up another cable. Ebay is good for these.

Upvote 0

Filemakerphil

Novice Member
Hi PeachMoopig

I've got the same problem as you had ... and would be very grateful if you are able to help. I'm using software called Elgato to digitise VHS tapes and discs, and it has worked well so far, but now I have got to doing the mini-DVs and have bought a secondhand JVC GR D23EK camcorder to do it.

What I am not sure about is what leads I need to connect the JVC to my Mac (with the Elgato connector between the two). I think I need

a) a lead going from the JVC 'AV' input which has the red, white and yellow connectors, and I have to connect the red and white ones (but not the yellow if I have the S-video connection too)

b) a lead going form the S-video pin to the receiving connection on my computer/Elgato

Am I along the right lines or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Philip

Attachments

• JVC_camcorderconnections.jpg
    JVC_camcorderconnections.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You would be better to use the DV connection, converting to Thunderbolt if possible, as it will give a better quality connection than S-Video.

There's a bug associated with this, but it may not affect you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Filemakerphil

Novice Member
You would be better to use the DV connection if possible, as it will give a better quality connection than S-Video.

There's a bug associated with this, but it may not affect you.

Thanks Noiseboy. That's the Firewire shown in my photo with DV? What connections am I look for on the other end of that cable?

Upvote 0

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Sorry updated my post after you commented. If yours is a fairly recent Mac, it should have a Thunderbolt connection - which also supports Firewire - DV. You will need some adapters to convert the socket type, but no signal conversion is required.

As I say, there is a bug with some OS versions, which means you have to be playing the clip in a media player while recording, but there is a well documented workaround and you will then be getting full component digital quality from the camcorder instead of converting to analogue and back again.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom