JVC GR-D225...transferring to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by rjbarjy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. rjbarjy

rjbarjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above cam-corder which is supposedly digital but I can not get my PC to recognise it. My PC is about 1 year old with XP operating system and I have purchased and fitted a 1394a Firewire card which, according to my device manager is working properly. I was in some doubt about this because when I started the PC after fitting the card there was no visible prompt that new hardware had been fitted, but I suppose I should trust the device manager. Any way when I plug the camcorder into the firewire port nothing at all happens. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I have done something daft because I certainly am no expert when it comes to this sort of thing so don't have any concerns about hurting my pride when offering advice. Hope someone can help.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    What software are you using to capture? And it doesn't show the camcorder attached?

Make sure your camcorder is in the correct mode (generally play/edit mode).

3. rjbarjy

rjbarjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark, thanks for the response. As I said, I'm new to this sort of thing and I assumed that the digital file would have to be transferred to the PC before being able to capture it by the editing software rather than capturing it from the camcorder directly. Having said that I did open up the editing software and try to capture with the camcorder linked to the pc via the firewire cable (with it on the playback mode) and I could not see the camcorder or the file on the editing software. Usually when you connect anything to a pc a dialogue box appears in recognition of the fact, but in my case there is nothing at all and a trawl through 'My Computer' shows no evidence that my camcorder is present. My editing software is only a budget package (Focus Video Suite from Serif) but I'm not interested in professional results just as long as I can do family holidays, weddings etc.
    Thanks again for any help you can offer. John

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    When you connect via Firewire you don't generally see anything happen. It won't show up as a drive under "My Computer" like say a USB device. But a video editing application should see it when you invoke the video capture function.

What OS are you running? If XP or Vista, you could try Windows Movie Maker and see if that works.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Mark , My experience is rather different in that: Ill link some screen shots I made while typing this post in a minute

SCREENGRAB HERE

If you can ignore the suspect PQ,( :eek: ) You'll notice the dialogue above, and the inclusion on a Sony DV device next to the scanner as a "device" in the " My Computer" window at the bottom after connecting up the camcorder via fire wire

In general, ( although not invariably) , when you connect up a camcorder to a PC running windows XP, there would be a "ping" notification sound ( such as you have with USB devices) and a dialogue to ask what you want to do with it
    The video transfer never happens without prompting and there has to be software which mainly ( though not always) can control the camcorder transport
    The above scenario is typical on all my systems, this may not be the case all systems

Saying that, if (it should, but) doesn't happen, it may not be your fault

There are 4 components that effect smooth transfer
    The camcorder ( and its firewire port)
    The firewire cable
    The PCs firewire port
    Windows
    If any of these isn't right , you wont get to "see" the camcorder
    Tracing the problem is simply one of elimination
    Some camcorders have the ability to enable or disable firewire transfer in the menu: This needs to be enabled if so. Some Firewire out is only enabled in Playback ( Possible : although some are enable whichever mode camcorder is in)

Windows Movie Maker (if installed) would usually prompt you to use it enable transfer even if you have no other software installed that can

Another one you can try is WinDV: free and easy to use

6. rjbarjy

rjbarjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I appear to be moving forward but not very speedily. OCCASIONALLY when I connect the camcorder to the pc there is an audible signal that a connection has been made and a dialogue box appears asking whether I want to make a movie with Windows Movie Maker. When OK is clicked, Moviemaker opens but then I get a message telling me that the camcorder is not connected or switched on. Similarly, occasionally the camcorder can be seen in My Computer but any attempt to click the icon and open the connection results in a 'Video Preview Failure' notice. It's getting a little frustrating now.

Any help gratefully accepted.

John

Mark & Senu

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

John

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Sorry you are having these problems. the easiest and first thing to try is another fire wire cable,
    Is yourPCs firewire onboard?

if not the card might need to be seated properly within its slot on the motherboard
    as they get loose during transportation

Another way of eliminating your PC is to try connecting the camcorder to another PC: if you have no joy , it is then a cable or camcorder problem: then try another cable
    Good luck;)

8. rjbarjy

rjbarjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Senu. In answer to your questions the Firewire card is one that was purchased recently and fitted (then re-fitted) by me a few days ago. The cable came with the card so it should be ok (famous last words!!). Your response has prompted me to try connecting my digital camera to the pc as this camera has a DV Out port also. If this works then the problem is obviously with my camcorder. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
    John.

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Before you "blame" your camcorder, Try the whole thing (including another cable) on another PC:you might find the result enlightening: new cables are not always good:rolleyes: cables.. some sneak pat QC:D

10. rjbarjy

rjbarjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the problem cracked. After a lot of buggering about it seemed to me that the problem was mechanical rather than being software related. The plug on the end of the Firewire cable which fits into the DV Out port on my camcorder seemed to me to be a little loose and sloppy. On my friends camcorder it was a really snug fit. So I removed the small panel surrounding the DV Out port and this enabled me to VERY, VERY carefully squeeze the walls of the port with a pair of long-nosed pliers until the plug was a far tighter fit. HEY PRESTO......the damned thing worked first time. Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, I appreciate the trouble you have gone to to help a poor, miserable soul who hasn't done much of this sort of thing.
    John:clap:

11. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Well nice to see you are sorted !
    You must have learnt a thing or 2 in the process though!

As my 6 year old daughter says " Dad , keep your hair on" : knowing fully well I don't have that much hair there in the first place:D
    All the best