JVC GM-V42E Advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by t0by, Jul 27, 2004.

1. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there

I'm a newbie to all this and would appreciate some advice re. the above. Basically, the company that I work for has just started distributing them so I have an option on buying one at cost price. Very appetising!

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/item/index_html?item=GM-V42E

The only issue as far as I can tell is that this unit is not designed as a consumer unit and I am a little worried therefore as to whether its the right thing to buy. It has no SCART inputs for starters. It does have, however:

- Component RGB (BNC)
    - S-video
    - RGB via 15 pin D-sub
    - Video in (via single BNC)

I am not interested in the audio side of things as I have all that covered separately.

From what I have worked out so far, I can use the component inputs to connect my DVD player, but then I get a bit lost. I'm aware that I can get a SCART to S-video cable which I think I could use for my FreeView box (soon to be Sky)? I have also seen a device that QED do, called Q-SYNC, that converts a SCART connection into 15 pin D-sub RGB. Does anyone know anything about this product? Or anything similar?

If anyone has any advice that they can offer around this, then I would be very grateful.

Many TIA for advice
    Toby Henderson

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Toby, if the thing is cheap enough, then why not? It's based on a recent Samsung screen, which whilst not the sharpest knife in the plasma drawer, is a huge improvement on past Samsungs. You might well have a problem with the q-sync, it's not compatible with the samsung, but as JVC don't seem to want me to download the manual, I can't tell if it will work with the JVC. You need to know if the VGA port can sync at 15.625khz horizontal for any scart based converter to work. If not, you'll need to convert to component video, or s-video if all else fails.

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I rang JVC about it and the guy said the Q-SYNC won't work... :-(

Seems that its more a problem with the source being PAL than anything else? The JVC manual does state that "the monitor has 18 preset video modes for the most popular industrial standard, and the signals of the following image resolutions can be input to the RGB input terminals:

17 RGB15K-60 H=15.7kHz V=50.0kHz Interlace
    18 RGB15K-50 H=15.6kHz V=50.0kHz Interlace"

Does that indicate any more?

BTW, I can get the unit for about £1500. Seem like a good price?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'd have said it will work, the JVC guy may just not understand. £1500 is not as cheap as I'd have liked to se for you, the samsung is £200 or so more retail. £500 more and you are on your way to plasma nirvana, rather than a hotch potch of rebuilt Korean old tech. That will get me into trouble with JVC owners! They're not highly regarded by the press or generally by the public, I hope the 1500 is inc vat?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    consider adding an Iscan Pro or ultra to this and you may have some thing that can hold a torch to a panny! £450 for a pro and 550 for an ultra so add it on and if it is less than £2200 (by enogh go for it!)

6. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, the £1500 is inc VAT. Ho hum, what to do?! I really like the sound of "plasma nirvana" - sounds like a good place to be! I'm reluctant to blow 1500 sheets on something that isn't all that - I'd much rather invest a little more and spend 2000-2500 on a better solution that is designed to do the job that I'm asking of it properly.

Then again, what's all this about and Iscan Pro or Iscan Ultra? I've looked them up on the dvdo.com site, but, being the newbie I am, I am not 100% sure what they are, what they do, and how they would be of use to me. Pls can one of you kind experts shed a little more light on them for me, and let me know how they would benefit me when used with this JVC unit?

Thanks guys. Appreciate all this help...

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    IMHO no amount of external deinterlacer, which is what these 2 devices are, is going to do the biz for you. If you spend the £2k you are 1 foot on the ladder, so to speak. The building block of a flexible, upgradeable display for all your video, whether from AV or PC or console source. A bit of forethought is required, but it's half the fun. Get the scaler/deinterlacer later, not at the expense of buying the right display to start with. A £2k plasma will give just as good results as the JVC with a iscan, but there's more to come when you want it, you are not 'already maxed out'. I hope that makes sense.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    MAW you are right, but soon enough you end up buying a £13k plasma;) Toby look at Panasonic, Fujitsu VHA, Pioneer get some demo, dont rush in headlong

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Nah mate, no B&O here.

10. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I am going to take a rain check on the JVC and start making plans for plasma nirvana... :zonked: