1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Firewire problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Seanxb, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Seanxb

Seanxb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I subscribed to this forum quite some time ago with a view to finding a fix for a problem that I had.

In a nutshell, I couldn't transfer any video via firewire from my JVC GR-D93EK to my PC.

I found it was a common problem with JVC, which everyone seemed to know about but me!

Anyhow, just wondering if there was ever a fix for this as I can't see a new camcorder coming my way for some time, so I'm stuck with this one.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Seanxb

Seanxb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I might have been bombarded with info. on this one.

Could someone possibly point me in the right direction? I was hoping there may be a way around the JVC firewire problem?

Thanks again.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A bit more info might help us to point you in the right direction.

What specs are the PC? Hardware & software.
    Is the firewire on a soundcard, the MoBo, or a dedicated PCI card?
    What errors are displayed when trying to capture?
    What does and doesn't happen?

There have been a few posts on here recently about JVC camcorders, but AFAIK they have all been sorted in the end.

Mark.

4. Seanxb

Seanxb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little more info. as requested.

If any more specific info. is required to diagnose this problem, please let me know.

Computer is -
    1) AMD Athlon 2400 XP2400+, 2.0Ghz and 512MB RAM, 120GB HD.
    2) Motherboard is a MSI KT 4 V-L with a Ti4800SE-TD8X graphics card
    3) Running Windows XP Pro 2002 with SP1
    4) Creative Audigy 2 Soundcard (with FIREWIRE – Which is where I’m linking my camera to)

Camera is - JVC GR-D93EK

Software - Pinnacle Studio 9.0.0

When I try to capture through Pinnacle, it tells me to check that the camera is switched on (which it is), that it is in play mode (which it is) and that it connected to the 1394 port on the computer (which I assume is from the port on my camera to the firewire port on my Audigy card)

From here I'm stumped.

5. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm not very familiar with firewire/software issues, but I do see damaged firewire sockets fairly frequently. Have a look at the socket on your camera...it should be possible to see the tips of four identical gold coloured pins (you will need a magnifying glass for this). If any of the pins look "different" that's possibly where the problem lies. Bit of a long shot I know, but worth trying. :)

Peter Brereton

6. Seanxb

Seanxb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that but it definitely is not the pins, I'll be lucky if I've used the port half a dozen times and they look ok. The lead is also brand new and decent quality.

When I think back, I have had the camera working once before on a laptop, which leads me to think it is something to to with the compatibility between the camera and my PC??

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    It has been mentioned on a fair few occassions before that the firewire port on the Soundblaster (and probably other makes) soundcards is not fully ieee1394 complient and therefore could well be the problem.
    I strongly suggest that you get a cheap (~£10 online) PCI firewire card and use that instead. I have advised this in the past and AFAIK everytime the advice has been followed the user was then able to connect their camcorder to the PC and capture their video with no further problems.

Fingers crossed that this simple and cheap solution will get you up & running :thumbsup:

Mark.

8. Seanxb

Seanxb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou chaps for the advice, new firewire card for £15 is working fine with the camcorder.

However, I did expect the sound to come through my speakers when playing a preview of my recordings through pinnacle studio 9.

Am I right in thinking this? If yes, is there something simple I should be checking to rectify the lack of sound?

Thanks again,
    Sean.