1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC failure just outside guarantee.....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gus, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Gus

Gus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'd be grateful for some advice if anyone can help me...

A couple of weeks ago, 3 weeks after the end of the 12 month guarantee period, my JVC AV32X37 has made a high pitched whining noise and now will not come on at all. When you try to turn it on, the standby indicator does go to green briefly, but then the noise starts and it shuts off - the only other thing that is happening is the indicator then 'shimmers' ?between red and green. There is no picture/sound at all. We were watching it when this happened suddenly.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be the problem, and if so is this likely to be expensive to fix? Have I got any recourse with JVC (or my local retailer) as I feel 55 weeks is not really a satisfactory lifespan for equipment like this! :nono: I haven't had chance to contact anyone about this so far (as it only happened a couple of days ago), but any advice anyone can give would be really appreciated so I'm fully briefed when I do. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Gus

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The Sale of Goods Act states that a product should last for a reasonable time and for a TV, 5+years would be reasonable. This gives you the leverage to take up your problem with the retailer from whom you purchased the TV, however, you may need to obtain an independent TV engineers report on the TV to prove that the fault was there, waiting to happen, when you bought the TV if you need to go to the small Claims Court.

Before this, though, you should contact JVC and politely explain the problem - they'll probably offer to sort it out for free, or replace it.

Good luck.

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    See:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177795

Yours is a bit further outside the guarantee than that one but JVC, in common with most of the other decent manufacturers are reasonable about these things.

If you have any problems, PM me and I'll sort something out. I have a certain influence with JVC ;)

4. Gus

Gus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice guys.... I'll try calling JVC now and I'll let you know how I get on.

Here's hoping! :)

5. Gus

Gus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I called JVC and they've asked me to send them a copy of my invoice and a cover letter, then they will authorise repairs! Going OK so far.... I'll let you know what happens!

Once again, thanks for your advice!

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It does depend on the fault with the TV. If it is the tube or a known fault with that particular model then JVC should repair it FOC.
    But the fault could be caused by a surge in the mains etc, if it is not a known fault then you may not get so much help from JVC.
    Nigel