1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC failure after 1yr and 4 days! Keep it or bin it?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Brian_the_cat, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Brian_the_cat

Brian_the_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I would very much welcome some advice. I have a JVC 28GT1SJF that has gone badly wrong 1 year and 4 days after I bought it. :mad:

When it is switched on there is not picture. The screen is an even grey with bright horizontal (well almost) lines about 3 inches apart. This brightens over a period of about 3-5 seconds and thene the set gones into satndby on its own. There is sound.

I bought it at Comet - they will charge 50 quid plus parts. Since the TV cost 299 I'm not convinced that its worth getting it looked at since I have no idea how much the parts would cost for such fault.

Should I get them to try to fix it or go get another set? :confused:

:lesson: Next time I'm going back to John Lewis. My Toshiba 32WD98B had a problem in November last year, 59 months after I bought it. They fixed it no quibble and that was after porice matching down from 1600 to 1200 nearly 5 years ago. My recommendation - always go to John Lewis for TVs.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Check this out:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

It is reasonable to expect a TV to last more than 1 year and 4 days.

If you bring it to JVC's attention, they may offer to repair it anyway (for free), but you may have a fight on your hands - it all depends on how much effort you want to put into getting it sorted out.

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    If it's only 4 days outside guarantee, JVC will cover it. Give them a call - 0870-330-5000. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll get it sorted.

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You could also look in the yellow pages for a alternative repair company, you can take it to any authorized repair agent.
    Nigel

5. Brian_the_cat

Brian_the_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was on the way to the CAB to check out GreenBars suggestion. Before leaving I checked back here and found GaryB's post. Called JVC and they are happy to authorise a local repairer to fix the problem. They want me to send them a copy of the invoice and a cover letter which I'll do in the morning.

Thanks for the info to all - very useful indeed. I'll update this thread later when the repair is all done. Here's hoping!

:thumbsup:

Keith

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm always pleased to read postings about major manufacturers doing the 'decent thing' - and JVC are by no means alone in this. Sort of 'restores my faith in mankind' ! Regards, yt.

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I'll second that. :thumbsup:

There are so many poor deals out there, that when there's good service, we should shout it from the roof tops. :clap:

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,494
    Don't get it repaired yourself. Definitely follow the advice above. A lot of companies try and fool consumers into thinking that after the 12 month guarantee they are screwed if an item goes wrong. But as mentioned above that is all a load of crap. Anything you buy is expected to be of merchantable quality and should last an expected amount of time.

9. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Glad to be of help Brian.

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Some general advice for anyone else who has problems like this. You'll find you get a much better response from any manufacturer if you ring and explain the situation rather than going straight for the CAB/Legal Action route. Like you or I, they don't respond well to threats. The staff who work for most of the better manufacturers (I'm one, in case you hadn't realised) are reasonable people and know that retaining an existing customer is a lot easier then gaining a new one. They also appreciate that if they refuse to help on a TV such as this that's just out of warranty, the customer will do two things:

1. Never buy that brand again.

2. Tell everyone they know of their experience.

Neither of which are good for business.

11. Brian_the_cat

Brian_the_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: Today JVC delivered a new TV to replace the broken one. They would have had it repaired but couldn't find a repair agent within a reasonable distance so offered to replace the set foc!

A great result and a satisfied customer.

:lesson: GaryB was right - always try the manufacturer in the first instance.