• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

JVC Everio help

Madkitty

I currently have a JVC GR-DX67 which is pretty good for a budget mini dv however I really love the look and style of the everio's, particulary the 37 (fab zoom) and 57 but have read some mixed reviews about poor performance in low light....has anyone got one and could convince me otherwise?

In addition is editing the same as with mini dv and as easy to do? I have ulead movie factory which supposedly supports the everios?

senu

Distinguished Member
I currently have a JVC GR-DX67 which is pretty good for a budget mini dv however I really love the look and style of the everio's, particulary the 37 (fab zoom) and 57 but have read some mixed reviews about poor performance in low light....has anyone got one and could convince me otherwise?

In addition is editing the same as with mini dv and as easy to do? I have ulead movie factory which supposedly supports the everios?

I cant comment on the Everio as I only had one for 5 days on loan and though I love the concept of HDD, I get the impression that for the same money a tape based one would give you more ( quality , features)... but spend a bit more and the differences begin to blur.

The Everio ( and all HDD camcorders) record video as mpeg2. JVC calls its "flavour" *.MOD.
Movie Factory supports these MOD files in much the same way as it supports mpeg2.

Because of the way in which mpeg based files differ from the DV AVI files from DV, frame accuracy in editing mpeg is less easy , and re encoding results in worse PQ from edited mpeg if such reencoding happens over several generations. In short there is generational PQ loss in video which shows up much earlier with mpeg . As such Simple editing should be fine, more complex editing would benefit from an mpeg editor which " smart encodes" ( ie keeps reencoding to a minimum to preserve PQ)

tomandjo2

We have a MG57, and both PQ and sound are very good (watched on a 32" LCD).

They get harsh reviews for the price bracket they're in, PQ on 57 is better than 21 but 21 gets betters reviews because it's cheaper but now the MG57 is around £390 at main retailers like Dixons (only abot £30 more than the 21).

Not fantastic in low light but unless you have zero lux corder what is for the money, the built in light is only really any good for close proximity and only helps a little.

The only real down side is battery life, but upgrade batteries with longer life can be easily purchased.

MG57 has GENUINE widescreen CCD and 12X upload speed and a bright F1.2 lens.
The MOD file extension can also just be changed to MPG.

For your average family it's a great camcorder and I would recomend it.

Tom

Madkitty

thanks Tom have you tried editing it with any specific packages and how did you find it. I really want to go with this cam but am so concerned anbout how difficult it is - now Im no expert and all I do is cut unwanted scenes and bits out of scenes. Wondered also what the included editing package is like?

senu

Distinguished Member
It comes with a customised light version of Cyberlink Power director which is easy to use.
I tried it a few times but since I had other software at my disposal which support MOD or mpeg2 I simply switched to them once id satified my curiousity. It may well be that a Fuller version of Powerdirector would have made a better impression on me;)

I found the PQ end results with it varied though YMMV.
One poster in these forums had a hard time getting good quality video from his files but that may not be a general case.
Sony has arguably just as good or even better ( albeit costlier) HDD camorders and may be worthy of more than a cursory glance.

As I stated in my earlier post, JVCs MOD files are mpeg2 and editing them has its own peculiarities but they are editable, more so with Mpeg editors.

However, Sony Vegas 7 ( or the more easily affordable Movie studio 7) handles mpeg well although it doesn't "smart encode".
Ulead VS 10 does but you need to select that option as it doesn't by default

tomandjo2

thanks Tom have you tried editing it with any specific packages and how did you find it. I really want to go with this cam but am so concerned anbout how difficult it is - now Im no expert and all I do is cut unwanted scenes and bits out of scenes. Wondered also what the included editing package is like?

No I haven't edited or burned to DVD anything yet (haven't filmed anything worth doing but our sons first birthday now so will this weekend).

I'm just a novice so I'm sure the software will do everything I need, I think there'll only be an issue if someone requires some really advanced features.
Tom

st-clares

Standard Member
My Everio MG-21 is my first digital camcorder.
I have only had it a short time but I shot a short video with a number of scenes for a practice. I then editied it with the supplied software and burnt a DVD.
The editing was simplicity itself and the results were in my humble opinion very good. I had no problems with the software.
I also have seen some harsh reviews, but my opinion is for the price and the ease of downloading files to a PC it is good value for the money, especially as I managed to get an almost 30% discount on the RRP. buying on the internet.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom