1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Dvp7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by BMR, Feb 16, 2003.

1. BMR

BMR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC PVP7, purcahsed mainly for the size (will fit in my pocket). The only problem I have with it is that is suffers from picking up excessive wind noise. I could get the special fit JVC microphone, but I have heard that it is very poor quality and at circa £120 I am not too inclined to get one.

Does anybody have any other ideas??

2. Haedes

Haedes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Unfortunately can't help with prob but I was really keen to get the DVP7. other than the wind noise how is the performance of the model? Do you use the DVin/out capability? Does this really work well?

Sorry about all the questions...as you can see really keen to buy one.

:smashin:

3. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry BMR, again no advice, but what's it like indoors in low light?

Cheers
    OG

4. Life_Saver

Life_Saver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same camera but I don't have the problem cuz simply my country doesn't have a lot of wind :laugh:

There is a special option to disable Wind noise in this camera .. why don't you try to turn on this function ..

5. BMR

BMR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haedes, OGIII and Life Saver!

I will try and answer your questions in turn:

What is the camera like? Well, having had a Panasonic NVDS15B before, the reason why I went for this one is that is is so small and is no bigger than a small 35mm camera. Such that I have put it in my old 35mm camera case which I attach to my belt. This is absolutely ideal for those occasions when you are out on a walk and can catch the moments (with my daughter etc) that I would have missed if I had to trug around the normal camera bag gubbins.

DV in / OUT - I also wanted this model as it had this feature. I went onto Dabs.com and brought myself DV Studio 7 with a firewire card and this has proved excellent in capturing the video, editing it and returning it to film. It takes time but is great fun and the results are so far from the traditional stop and start editing that I used to have to do on my VHS video - and quite professional. The DV in is all controlled by the remote and easy to get used to doing.

Indoors - the camera has several modes in the manual mode where you can compensate for different types of light (snow, halogen, sunny day, dark etc) so if you are not happy with the auto adjustment (I have never had problems) you can use the manual mode to give the results you want.

Wind noise cut - I have used this in the manual mode and does not make a hell of a lot of difference. I suspect that in the end the compensation for having such a small camera has to be balanced against the closeness of the components and size of them. I just wished that JVC could have put a 3.5mm jack socket in the camera so that I could have brought a standard microphone and attached that. Instead there is a shoe on the top of the camera which has connections in it that force you to use the JVC microphone (expensive). If anyone has a JVC shoe to 3.5mm socket conversion I'd be very pleased to hear about it!!!

Overall, very happy and performs well. Some people have complained on these forums over battery life, but has never stopped me from filming when out and about. I am sure the film would run out before the battery and I do not currently make epics of >5 hours!!!

Cheers,

6. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BMR

7. Haedes

Haedes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:

Thanks BMR you may have just help me decide which camera to purchase.

8. apple100

apple100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a DVP7 aswell. I was wondering if its possible to use a DIFFERENT microphone on the accessory shoe? Or do you have to use the specific one for this model? Anyone know where I can get a reasonable priced one? OR even a external microphone input socket that fits on that accessory shoe?

PS...anyone found a way of enabling the ANALOG INPUT that is disabled on a DVP7?

I know that its should just be an option availabe in the menu somewhere called "AV options" or something like that. Has anyone tried opening the remote control to check whether its got any hidden buttons?

9. BMR

BMR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apple 100,

I have not heard anything from my first post regarding the microphone, but if you hear anyhting I would appreciate a nod!

W.R.T. the analogue in - can't help as I only use the digital in. Download onto my pc, edit and then upload back onto the camcorder. Am just waiting until rewritable DVD's come down in price then will record directly onto them.

Cheers

10. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apple100: ever get anywhere enabling the Analog IN ?

I need to do exactly the same thing !

cheers

11. apple100

apple100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I still have had no luck with the Analog in, unable to find any info on it. I took the remote control apart and could not find any extra button on there.

I read from the US DVP7 manual, that there is a extra menu option on the US DVP7 which is called "AV EDIT", from this menu option you can change the analog out...to analog in.

Maybe this option is turned off in the EU version of DVP7?
    I have tried calling up JVC and blagging the engineers manual for the camera but they wont give it unless you are registered dealer.

I pretended to be a registered dealer...but they smelled a rat when I was unable to provide them with some valid registeration details for my fake shop.

I have made a discovery about something else though, the camera is able to see infrared, this means you can use it like a Sony camera which uses the infra-red night vision mode (where u can see in the pitch dark and it comes out a greeny color).

What you have to do it light up whats infront of the camera with really bright infrared LED's (this is how the Sony cameras's do it), though you wont be able to see the infrared LED's light up. when u look through the viewfinder of the DVP7...you will see things lit up like a torch. It may need a lot of LED's to make it bright enough...and you may need to manually focus things.