1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DVD Component Out to TX32 PD50 No picture

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by benbtg, Jul 15, 2005.

1. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys!
    Great site!
    Have spent the last few days reading your various posts on the PD50 and feel I know everything there is to know about them, and still I purchased one! :suicide:

Just arrived today. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones and as far as I am concerned the picture is beautiful. Although the wife still needs convincing about the sky picture quality.

Did have a scare though when I first switched on and got that dreading buzzing noise that some have complained about, but really loud. Turned out our DECT phone was interfering with the speakers!! :rolleyes:

Anyway back to my reason for my first post. I have a JVC DR M10S DVD recorder and have it connected via the Component Out to my new baby! Problem is I don't get a picture. Just get a flickering screen with a random colours appearing like its out of sync or unsupported res.
    I have it DVD set to component out in the menu and tried the progessive scan button but not good.

Thing is, I have a crappy old 25 quid hyundai dvd player for the bedroom which amazing has component out, tried that and works like a dream!!! The difference in quality if amazing, component connections is definatley worth having!

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ben

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try turning progressive off on the M10 also if you have Sky+ use S-video infact try composite the PD range handles RGB very badly stick to S-video if possible

3. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'm hoping to do is conect to the JVC DVDR via SVideo and then to TV via Component, should give me the best possible quality if only I could get the component connection to work!!
    I did notice a few threads suggesting that some DVDs just dont work with the PD's via component, luck of the draw.
    Just hoping I'm not one of the unlucky ones and that I just need to flick a switch I didn't notice. ;-)
    Worst case I'll just return the JVC, I've only had it a day, but got it from ebuyer so bit of a pain!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that may give the best PQ ideally you want sky direct to the TV but via the M10 should be fine i would try again a few times no joy in 48 hours get an RMA from ebuyer GaryB may be able to shed some light on the subject

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Have you enabled the component output in the menu? I haven't got a DR-M10 to hand, but from memory, it's something like:

Function Setup > Video In/Out > L1 Output

Press the Enter key then Select "Component" from the drop down menu.

Once you've done that, you can press and hold the "Progressive" button on the remote control to toggle Progressive mode on/off.

6. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but yes, done that. Switching to and fropm progressive on dvd has no affect other then a brief flicker. Is it possible they are not compatible? I just dont get why a cheapo dvd with component out works fine but this more expenive dvd recorder just produces a garbled mess.
    Guess I better arrange that RMA.

7. chobot

chobot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have PD50 as well. I do not have any toy with component output, but I had two of them for testing (on different time). Philips DVD player and Denon AV receiver (190x?). Philips worked via component, but Denon didn't. I didn't care so much because I thought it is some problem in Denon's settings but I'm starting to be afraid that there might be some compatibility problem - what if I buy something which will not work then? Whom can I blame - Panasonic or Denon ...

Looking forward to reading some results related to solution of your problem ...

8. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm this is very odd but I think I have found the problem, its definatley a faulty M10.
    Don't ask me why but after trying all sorts including tightening the phonos with pliers and trying a different set of cables I tried forcing the plugs. And for a brief moment I got a pitcure!
    I discoverd that if I applied a large amount of lateral pressure so that the top of the plugs so that they bend slightley toward the scart sockets, I would get a picture. If I let go of any of the three, I loose the picture. I can only assume that it is a problem with how the sockets are connected.
    So will definatley be returning.
    As I say, very odd.

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    One of the phono sockets (can't remember which on) is fitted with a switch so that you can onlly enable progressive output when it is connected to something. It sould like that switch is faulty, or as you mention, it could be a dry joint on one of the connectors.