Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JVC DV3 - connecting to a PC

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Wacko50, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Wacko50

Wacko50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have had a JVC DR3 for about 6 years and only just thought about the option of transferring tapes on to my PC. Have no idea what I need! The camera/base station has 'DV Out', 'S Out', 'JLIP' connections but none of this means anything to me. What do I need to connect up?

Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Hi Wacko50 and welcome to the forum :hiya:

This question is better off in the Camcorder section of the forum, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Right, to capture full quality video to a PC or Mac you need to connect the camcorder via firewire, aka iLink, ieee1394, DV port - confused, you soon will be :D . If your PC does not have a firewire port then one can be added for under £20 on a standard PCI card that plugs into the motherboard. The card normally comes supplied with a cable for connecting the cam to PC. Firewire will only work with a PC running Windows 98SE or later.
    Oh and be aware that video will eat up space on your HDD. 4 minutes of video takes approx 1Gb of space, or 1 hour = approx 14Gb :eek: . So make sure you have plenty of spare space!

Mark.