1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DV camcorder to E65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Calvados, May 5, 2005.

1. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a lot of DV camcorder tape to archive but not sure how to go about it...
    Morning,

Could someone give me a few bullet points or point me to a good previous thread....

The specifics- I have a JVC DXV707 camcorder and a Panny E65 DVD recorder and I'd like to edit the tape before burning to DVD.
    So, can I simply buy some editing software for my laptop, edit the tape and then download to the E65? Or do I need other bits of kit??
    I know I can record straight from the JVC to the E65 but editing seems to be very limited (start/stop/pause! or am I missing a trick here) but I want to be able to do more sophisticated editing.

I'm going to post this on the DVD recorder forum and the Camcorder forum - not because I'm greedy but because I might get a couple of different angles.

Muchas gracias. Calva.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You are right, if you want basic editing you can do it all on the E65.

If you want to do more advanced editing (adding for example fancy transitions, overlaying text or multiple images, etc), you can do this on a PC with editing software. With a DV camcorder, if your PC has a Firewire/IEEE1394 port, that’s all you’ll need. (If not, you can add a Fireware card to your PC).

Once you get this far and have your edited footage on the PC, you might want to consider also doing the DVD authoring and burning from the PC. It’s a bit more work but you can create fancier menus. For this of course you’ll need a DVD burner on the PC, and also DVD authoring software (if the above editing package doesn’t already include this). The camcorder forum is probably a better place for detailed questions about what packages etc, but I recommend Sony “Vegas Movie Studio + DVD”. It will give you the editing and the DVD authoring, and if you get hungry for even more power you can upgrade to the “professional” version of Vegas.
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=932

Alternatively, you can do all the editing on the PC, and output the edited result to a DV tape, then “dub” this edited tape to the E65.

Mark

3. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks Redsox Mark,

I think I'll try the camcorder to PC via firewire route (and buy editing s/w to edit). Then I just firewire that to the E65 I guess?

If that''s not enough I'll buy the burner.

Re your last comment Alternatively, you can do all the editing on the PC, and output the edited result to a DV tape, then “dub” this edited tape to the E65.
    Do you mean I can record back on to the DV tape from the PC?

Will any of these methods result in a loss of pq? The latter might I suspect (DVtape to PC to DVtape to DVD-R)

Many thanks again.
    Calvados

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Firewire support on the DVD recorders is specifically "DV-in" from a camcorder (and in some cases DV-out). I don't think you will be able to copy directly from your PC to the E65 over Firewire. That is why I suggested you would need to take the edited result and output that to DV tape. The DV editing package will support output from the PC to DV tape (via the camcorder).

There will be no loss in going DVtape to PC (this is a digital copy), same with going from PC to DVtape. Between these 2 steps, you will be editing the footage. For any footage which isn't changed, the editing program will also just digital copy it. If you add transitions, effects, etc in the editing program this will need to re-render (DV to DV), but this is virtually lossless as well. Your only real loss becomes when to encode to DVD (MPEG), regardless if you do this on the PC or the recorder. But if you use a high quality setting this will be minimal.

Mark

5. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers for that - I will buy some s/w and have a play this weekend.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You can download a free trial version of the Sony software I suggested here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=585

It is fully functioning, except it doesn't include the MPEG/AC3 encoder (i.e. you can't create a DVD). But as you are planning to do that part on the E65 you should be able to do your entire project with this (30 day trial).

Other companies also offer trials, you may want to try a couple before you buy.

Mark

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621