1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DRM10 to partner my Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shrub, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Shrub

Shrub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a newbie to DVD recorders but having done some research I'm about to buy a JVC DRM10 (even though no RGB input) because I think it meets my requirements:
    • my Sky+ has s-video output so comparable with RGB (?)
    • I want to be able to view JPEG files
    • I don't need a hard drive DVD recorder as I have Sky+
    • I want to be able to archive my Sky+ recordings
    Is it a reasonable choice of model? I've found one at PRC Direct for £230 which seems a good deal. Anyone got any reasons why I should reconsider?

Also, the one they've got is Region 2 only. Again, that doesn't bother me but is it possible to hack these machines?

Any advice gratefully received!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No. Depending upon your setup the S-Video picture is noticeably poorer to the RGB setup - especially taken direct from the Sky+ output. But if your not bothered by that then the JVC is a very good choice.

The JVC does this well by all accounts. But by the same token Panasonic recorders will allow you to put JPEGS on CDR or DVD-RAM.

Do you want to archive them so they playback on any machine? If so then you need to consider whether you want to edit them or not. If you DO want to make editted recordings then please see my next point. If you don't then the JVC (or a Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony recorder will be great).

Most people here have Sky+ but still have a HDD/DVDR combo simply as they are very different machines. The problem is DVDRs (of all types) just don't offer that much space required to make long, high quality recordings. Therefore you can't afford to waste any of the capacity. Accordingly HDD/DVDR combos have proven popular as they allow people to record onto the HDD in the highest quality (without the space limitation), edit/rearrange, and then dub to high compatible DVD-R. If you go down a PC and DVD recorder route you can achieve the same (or better) results with a bit of effort.

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to put in my 2 cents. I have the DR-M1 and record from my sat receiver using s-video and the picture quality is as good if not better then the direct RGB output from the sat receiver into my PA20. Note the DR-M1 is connected using component video to the PA20. My sat receiver outputs s-video and RGB at the same time so I can compare pics simply by switching between AV inputs on the PA20.