JVC DR-MS1SLB problem!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by john lowe, Dec 14, 2003.

1. john lowe

john lowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I very recently purchased a JVC DR-M1SLB dvd recorder.
    It appears to be broken after having worked for fine for two weeks!
    To begin, I inserted a new DVD-RW disc after having removed a full disc which had just finished recording. A message saying there was a disc error appeared after the machine had finished "reading" the new disc. It would not eject the disc so I switched off at the mains, left it for a few minutes and after a good two minutes of the "loading" message and the blue flashing from the front it went into "standby"mode. I pressed "on" on the remote and it comes up with "Hello" but that stays on the front panel screen permanently. I am not able to perform any of the functions. I have switched off at the mains several times and it remains the same. I have tried pressing "on/standby" and the "stop" button to reset the machine as per the manual but each time it goes to "hello" and stays there. Is the machine busted or what??

Many thanks for any help......John M Lowe

2. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got the DRM-1 and was supprised that it didn't come with any discs.

I'm managed to try it with a very old scratched -rw and it seemed OK.

The main thing I would say is it is very slow starting/stoping.

I suppose you have tried pressing the eject button to get the disc out. Try pressing it just after powering on. (mains plug)

I also have the S-VHS video version of the machine and that sometimes gets a tape stuck halfway in loading position. Mainly if I take a tape out and then quickly push another one in.

This means it starts, goes through its cycle and switches into standby. I discovered powering on the pressing eject was the only way to get the tape out. - May work for the DVD.

There is probally a manufacture reset, I thought I may have seen burried somewhere in the manual that may work as a last resort.

Do you know how to get a RAM disc out of the cartridge without breaking it. I got the only Ram I could find on Sunday but last night couldn't figure out how to get it out easily???

Jim

3. john lowe

john lowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jim for your reply.
    Pleased to say that it is OK again. Fiddled at length last night and it finally ejected disc. I feel it was a bit like my computer got locked up and pushing so many buttons further screwed it up. A bit worrying but hope that it is OK now. Have e mailed JVC Help and hope for a reply soon.
    Have you worked out the Satellite remote thingy yet? Does it work with a standard Pace receiver with no timer? Overall very pleased as the pictures are great and it is very flexible. Manual is a bit of a beast though!
    Haven't tried DVD-Ram yet as discs expensive and DVD-RW seems a great format and very cheap.

Again thanks for your interest.

John

4. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Haven't tried Satellite recording yet but if it the same as the video machine, it should be OK.

There are several Pace code numbers, for a Pace 2500 sky box I used 92. The test turned the box over and this code lets the multi remote work the box.

If you set L2 select to be Sat Video then the signal gets passed through L1 from L2 even when the box is in standby. The good thing is when you switch the DRM-1 on the passed thro signal is not effected until you select "video" on the remote.

I'm trying to daisy chain the JVC S-VHS and the DRM-1 together, both have the same input/outputs so its just a case of what goes where!

I'll know more when I find out how to get the Ram Cartridge apart...!

Jim

5. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Auto clock set supposed to set the clock after a long power off???

I switched it off one morning and then back on about 10 hours latter and the clock did not reset.

I now wonder if it will only set the clock if there is a power failure for a couple of hours.

Any ideas which way it should work. Manual isn't very clear on this, but whats new!

6. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can remember seeing a picture of a dvd ram disc on a web site and it seems to be taken out from the back of the caddy.Perhaps there are two small clips on the back that will release it.

7. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a reply about this on another thread

Thanks to "bobones" see this link

Ram Disks & Caddies

Jim

8. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got the thing out of the caddie, easy once you know which pin to press.

Checked for marks etc.

Put in machine.............................

3 mins latter it said disc error. Took out and checked OK

Try 2.... 2 mins and it was OK, so I formated it which only took 1 min.

Put other side in..... 3 mins.... etc

Recorded 4 hours of AM football on Ram, also did the same with the video to check if the looped cables worked OK.

Put Ram in waited 3 mins...... Disc Error, tried again same thing. Tried other side... 3 mins..... same disc error...

Put the video in the video recorder pressed play and within 10 seconds I was watching.

Video 100000000000000000
    Ram 0

Is it the DVD Ram recorder that doesn't like Ram disc or just a faulty Ram disc??? (New Datasafe 9.4G) Hard to believe both sides are faulty.

Does Ram always take this long to initalise. Power on recorder takes over a 1min then 3 mins to initalise the RAM, I can find a tape and start recording in under 30 sec with video.

If this is the case then;

New RAM to record time... 1+3+1 (format) = 5min
    Video 30 sec + 2 mins to get the shrink wrap off. = 2.5mins
    ( I think the RAM may have been shrink wrapped as well...)

The manual has no mention of this error message. I have managed to record on -RW OK

Ideas???

Jim

9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

If you have only tried that one RAM disc I would suspect it. Removing RAM from the Caddy isn't a good idea unless it is necessary, when you do it can change the behaviour of the disc and may make it slower to initialise.

If the RAM disc is fault the recorder will attempt to fix it using defect management and this may be causing the long delays. It certainly shouldn't take any longer than a DVD-RW disc.

Try a new RAM disc, preferably 1st tier brand such as Panasonic and see if your problems go away.

Alternatively if you have the option on the JVC select a full format of that problematic RAM disc, this will mark bad areas bad and may make it more reliable.

Regards

Philip

10. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that the error is that bad it won't even let me format the disc.

The funny thing is it formated both side once and recorded once but it has never played, now all I get is DISC ERROR!

Why BOTH sides??? - I tried the disc in the Toshiba 210, player last night and it had a better attempt at playing it.

The problem of getting RAM disc is two fold.

1) Since the machine uses -RW I only want a few for RAM features

2) Nobody sells them, not even at rip off prices around here (North Birmingham(UK)) I can get -R -RW +R or +RW but no RAM

Thats why when I saw one I paid £7 for it as Datasafe are one of the best "cheap" brands I've used (until now)

Do Panansonics take discs with caddies then???

11. toner_monkey

toner_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JDA

Just thought I`d let you know that I`ve used Optodisc 4.7Gb type 2 RAM disks with the JVC DR-M1. So far they have worked fine. I got mine from CDR-by-mail.co.uk for about £4.50 each.

I have used the same one for about 3 months now with no probs.

The JVC has been fine so far (2 months) except the occasional lock up when inserting cheap unformatted -RW discs. This is cured by pulling the plug and resetting.

Toner_M