JVC DR-MH300 for 399 € / 272 GBP

D

dagmaniac

Best price I've seen so far for this one:
audio-vision-shop.de

I'll send them a mail about availability, I suppose it's for somewhere in November.

Does anyone already have seen this recorder or a review about it ?
It seems to do everything one would want and a little more!

No-one will have one yet. Full Production doesn't start for another couple of weeks. I've been testing it at home for the last month. I was a little sceptical about the Guideplus at first but I now find myself using it more and more. Operationally it's similar to the DR-MH30 but the software has been tweaked to add a few functions and make everything a little faster.

I have mine in the open and you can just hear the fan while it's running. I think it would be inaudible inside a TV unit or behind a glass door.

Thanks, this was the only thing that would keep me away from this recorder.
If I get a reply regarding the availability, I'll post it here.

Just got a mail from audio-viosion-shop that they don't have a confirmed delivery date from JVC...

:confused: Just stumbled into this thread, does it have rgb in? what is the hard drive size, i assume it's an analogue tuner if it has guide plus.. thanks in advance for any reply. :thumbsup:

Yes the spec shows rgb in/out. 160 gig hd. If you look at the link I posted it gives you full details. Looks a good spec minus the digital tuner tho.

GaryB,
Are you in a position to give any further feedback re this machine ?.It looks to offer the facilities I am after.
Spoke to a retailer today who says it will be in store within the next week.

lurcher said:
GaryB,
Are you in a position to give any further feedback re this machine ?.It looks to offer the facilities I am after.
Spoke to a retailer today who says it will be in store within the next week.

It's working well. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

It won't be in store next week. As far as I know production hasn't started yet but I'll get something more accurate on Monday.

BTW in case you didn't know, I work for JVC. One of my jobs is testing and evaluating new models, mainly the high-end products. It's a dirty job... :)

Thanks for that GaryB. Didn"t really believe the retailer when he said "it will be in next week".
I was thinking of the Panasonic 60 model but when I saw the spec of the JVC I thought I would wait a little while longer.
Yes I can see thats its tough for you lol.
I would be useing it mainly for dumping camcorder footage on daily and dubbing to -d/ram discs.The inclusion of a hdmi socket will be useful.
Is it reasonably quick start up etc?

Hi

Esp for GaryB,

How does recording quality compare to "usual suspects" ie Sony 710/Panny 60/Pio 530?

Is it user/wife friendly?

As with others, the specs look good. I'm not interested in digital tuner, as I have Sky+.
But primarily wanted for saving from Sky+, and archiving miniDV. Does it have reasonable editing/labelling capability?

I await reviews..

Any news on DVDR/HDD/miniDV recorder? (built in miniDV player/recorder). It is JVC site, and on US shops.

Thanks

Jai

GaryB,
Anything worthwhile to mention on this model ?. When being stocked ? Viable alt to Panasonic/Sony models.
Need one with a hard drive soonest but dont want to purchase and regret I"d not waited for this JVC if if performs well.

Thanks

GaryB,

Can you also let us know if it's fast at powering up and switching channels ?

Thanks man

P.S. I wouldn't mind having such a demanding job as yours :)

dagmaniac said:
GaryB,

Can you also let us know if it's fast at powering up and switching channels ?

Thanks man

P.S. I wouldn't mind having such a demanding job as yours :)

Powering up, from switch on to ready to go, is around 20 seconds. That includes filling the live memory buffer. If you switch that off, it's faster.

Changing channels is pretty much instant.

lurcher said:
GaryB,
Anything worthwhile to mention on this model ?. When being stocked ? Viable alt to Panasonic/Sony models.
Need one with a hard drive soonest but dont want to purchase and regret I"d not waited for this JVC if if performs well.

Thanks

Production was scheduled to start yesterday so they should be available in a couple of weeks.

Performance is excellent. I also have a DR-MH30 and the slight delay when switching tape speeds on that model has been eliminated. The DR-MH300 also has a "Delete Scene" function which is excellent for chopping the ads out of programmes you want to keep.

We found a few minor software bugs during testing and these have all been fixed before release.

Just had a Google on this model, a number of hits saying delivery end NOV/early DEC, but the price on the original post was a tad optimistic as most suppliers are quoting circa £370. :eek:

Decent spec but not cheap.

399 € is indeed a little optimistic, audio-vision-shop has raised the price to 449 € (+/- 310 GBP). But that's still the cheapest price I've seen anywhere:
http://www.audio-vision-shop.de/Preise/preise_gb.html

I asked by mail if I could still order one for 399, and they responded that it was already sold out :suicide:

Let's see if I have the will power to wait until januari, as prices usually seem to drop after the holiday bying season...

The deal maker/breaker for me is if it can split titles recorded on the hard drive then copy them to dvd-r with the titles remaining separate on the finalised disc. This is so i can record entire music programmes then edit out the stuff i dont want and split the good tracks into separate video titles to burn as a video disc that i can skip through track by track (i want titles not chapters to separate each track) (some sonys for instance cant do this :rolleyes: ) anyone know if this is possible ?. Also the LP mode doesnt quite match up to the new panasonics 500 lines of resolution.......
decisions decisions

EDIT....just been looking at the spec, it has rgb in/out but no mention of if it has rgb passthrough in standby.

@ GaryB

What happened the specs - ones that I saw said it was to support dual layer DVDs - when was that scrapped?
Pity, since it truely would've been a Sony 910 for half the price - save the Freeview tuner!
I suppose dual layer and twin tuner à la Panasonic 60 is planned for next year's model revision.
Also, why only Silver - where's the Black? Or is this another political thing with maintaining differentials between the two sister companies (Panny/JVC)?

pjskel said:
@ GaryB

What happened the specs - ones that I saw said it was to support dual layer DVDs - when was that scrapped?

It was never in any specification that I saw.

pjskel said:
Pity, since it truely would've been a Sony 910 for half the price - save the Freeview tuner!
I suppose dual layer and twin tuner à la Panasonic 60 is planned for next year's model revision.

Not allowed to say anything about next year's range yet unfortunately, otherwise my bodily parts might be rearranged.

pjskel said:
Also, why only Silver - where's the Black? Or is this another political thing with maintaining differentials between the two sister companies (Panny/JVC)?

It's basically down to demand. The only products that sell in any volume in black are the basic models. The vast majority of people who buy middle and top of the range models want silver. It's the same with TVs. Having said that, if dealers identify a demand, it's possible a there might be a black version in the future.

I'd be very interested to read any reviews of this machine or hear from Gary about the picture quality via HDMI output. I am considering the option of using this machine as a one-box alternative to a Denon 1920 alongside a cheapish DVD HDD recorder of some sort. But it strikes me that the PQ may be somewhat inferior if it's trying to do too many things at once, compared to a dedicated player like the Denon 1920.

Anyone able to shed light on this question?

GaryB said:
It's basically down to demand. The only products that sell in any volume in black are the basic models. The vast majority of people who buy middle and top of the range models want silver. It's the same with TVs. Having said that, if dealers identify a demand, it's possible a there might be a black version in the future.

Obviously Germany plays by different rules then! They provide both on their site, so fogive me for thinking that it's JVC dictating what colour the UK gets, rather than allowing customers to have a choice.
Also, the black=entry level market segment - then if true, why are the Plasmas and LCDs not Silver as well then?
Again, someone in marketing has decreed what's being imported officially to the UK, and that's that.
I don't consider myself to be any one segment - but would probably lean more toward middle-top, but I don't want silver! My partner has the black DRM-10 - looks a darn sight nicer than the silver version.
Silver is cheap looking, tacky, and so commonplace now, with nearly every car on the road one shade of silver or another. So, I'm all silvered out - and black is just so much more classy, when done right - which I think the LCDs have been. Besides, with everyone else's product being silver, they all look much of a muchness when you see them displayed in Currys, etc. I think you're marketing team should pay a vist to the likes of them, to see what I mean. Nothing really stands out.

Anyway, you're just a tester - so the colour is immaterial to what your job entails - sorry to have bent your ear.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom