Jvc Dr-mh30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by denson, Nov 8, 2004.

1. denson

denson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been reading the Dec 2004 issue of Essential Hifi and Home Cinema dedicated to DVD recorders. The Philips recorders seem to be doing very very well in there as regards unique features and overall value. I am still toying with the idea of buying the HDRW 725.
    The JVC DR MH30 caught my eye, simply because it has all the desirable features i want, including the -R format which the Philips lacks. My other major point on the features list is integration with SKY digiboxes. The JVC seems to have a sat control function which chnages the channel on the digibox to make recordings. Has anyone had any experience of this feature? I called JVC customer service and their response to me was that this feature doesn't work with the SKY digiboxes. Is that true? My only other option then is the Toshiba XS32, which also seems to have the sat control feature.
    Any helpful comments will be appreciated.

2. stealingthunder

stealingthunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What jvc say is right - I have a dr-mh20 and the sat dongle doesn't change the channel on an (admittedly ageing) grundig-made sky digibox. I just set the sky planner to autoview instead, which works fine... :)

3. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DR-MH30, and yes it does control my sky Digibox (panasonic), you have to tell the DVD Recorder what type of Digibox it is (it' s in the manual - sky is listed). My experience with JVC Customer services is 'Take what they say with a pinch of salt' there info can be misleading to wrong. Watch out for early models: I have had both the firmware upgraded and the digiboard replaced due to DVD recording problems OK now. If you are recording from Sky the DR-MH20/30 does not have RGB input, but the standard composite output is far more natural looking then the high technicolor picture that my Sky Panny box outputs (as seen on my SONY 34" TV). Just use high quality interconnector cables (QED, and IXOS)

4. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't understand why Toshiba is your only other option - what about Panasonic?