1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DR-mh30: Dvd-menu

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mike72, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having ordered a JVC DR-MH30 I have recently learned that the only dvd-menu (with thumbnails) it offers is when you are browsing the dvd´s on the machine itself. When you finalize a dvd in videomode you only get a text-list.

I am wondering if this will be a disappointment, or if it´s too much of a hassle anyway to produce a dvd with a pleasing menu.

Since I don´t have experience with neither settop- nor pc recorders I´m having trouble deciding for myself :confused:

So any input about your experience will be much appreciated.

2. Dan M

Dan M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would have thought the only way to setup a pleasing menu would be using software on a PC. Quick question i also have ordered this JVC recorder, have you been told when it will be available. I have had an order since June.

3. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, not THAT pleasing ;) I just meant a menu with thumbnails instead of a list of titles - but maybe it´s not that big a deal when you can view the thumbnails on the recorder.

Regarding delivery we are a community of people in Denmark who have ordered 60+ recorders in june. According to the shop / JVC Denmark they should be shipped from Belgium later this week, and I hope to receive mine in the middle of next week.

Regards Mike72

4. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't tell me that Mike72, i'm getting my JVC drmh 30 tomorow, what i liked about it was the fact that you can have annimated thumbnails in the menus, i have a panny e100 and that's one of the features i like is the fact that you can add thumbnails to a finalized dvd-r i don't understand how JVC can let you browse with thumbnails and then take them away when it comes to finalizing? If that's the case i might have to think about keeping it, i know that sounds pathetic just because it won't let you have thumbnails but when you're used to it it'll be difficult to have text only. :mad:

5. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry garry!

Since it´s a new recorder the facts have been difficult to verify - jvc.co.uk states that it can make a dvd-menu with 18 different backgrounds, which thougt was a real dvd-menu - until I read the manual, which is very fuzzy on the subject.

I therefore contacted JVC Denmark, which told me the thumbnails will not be copied to disk, so I am also a bit disappointed! :thumbsdow But you have to compromise somewhere.

If you - like me want a recorder with rewriteable disc - it comes down to this or the Pioneer 520/720. I consider this a facelifted machine - the only differences vs. the older 5100 is RGB-input, a faster burner, and minor adjustments in the menus. On the other hand it is a good recorder made a little better.

JVC compared to Pioneer models:

Negatives:
    1. No thumbnails/menu -> dvd

2. No support for the new dvd-rw 4x / dvd-r 8x (8x dvd-r can be burned at 4x, but you cannot record on 4x dvd-rw)

3. No RGB-input (but I only have cable-tv anyway, and if you can find a sat.receiver with s-video output if the need arises, it should be almost as good)

Positive points:
    1. Extensive disc library
    2. Support for both dvd-r/-rw/ram
    3. Component output with progressive scan
    4. Live buffer
    5. MPEG Encode Pre-Processor - according to a German magazine (Video) it should actually improve the PQ (usually when I read such specifications I assume it´s the guys in marketing that have been playing scrabble :) )

If you decide to give the JVC a go I would very much appreciate it if you could write a few lines about it one of these days.

I am especially interested in the noise-level, as the DR-M10 (no HDD) is critized by some for this.

6. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mike72, now i wish i had never ordered it, :thumbsdow the thumbnail thing is a real problem to me i realy like this feature and some of the negatives you put down have made me feel even worse! :suicide: it's just typical me rushing in without without some forward planing and research i also thought that reading the thumbnail statement on the JVC website meant that you could make thumbnails on a finalized dvd-r with 18 background i really don't see the point of giving you backgrounds when you can't use them on a finalized dvd -r! :mad:

7. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the information you get is wrong it´s a bit difficult to make a proper decision ! (so don´t punish yourself :) )

The desciption on JVC´s website is misleading in my opinion - if this doesn´t mean 18 different menus with thumbnails on a finalized disc, I don´t know what it´s about:

"DVD-R Menu Screen with Thumbnail (18 Designs)".

But I still don´t think the negatives are that negative (it depends on ones own needs/wishes of course).

I think I will try it out - On second thought the answer I got from JVC could be wrong since the machine is brand new (and it would be a shame not to order it because of that one reason if is´s not an issue after all)..

8. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike72, i take on board what you say about misleading info "DVD-R Menu Screen with Thumbnail (18 Designs)". to me it says just that, a dvd-r with thumbnail menus! anyway thanks for making me feel a wee bit better we'll see tomorrow, i will give it a go and see how it is, i'll keep you informed. :smashin:

9. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my drmh 30 today and yes you can add thumbnails to dvd-r :clap: first impressions pretty good, one bit of advice, throw the manual away! as it is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike! :smoke: one thing i've not been able to do is find out how to make your dvd-r start at top menu. This was one feature that was easy to do on the panny e100 but on this unit it's either not available or well hidden within the menu system. One other plus is that you can copy an unprotected disc onto the hard drive from the unit. :smashin:

10. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great! Can you actually see the thumbnails if you play the dvd on another player ?

And can you choose between 18 different layouts ?

11. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Mike72 you can see the thumbnails on another player but you have to choose your top menu button in order to go to the menu system and yes there is 18 different backgrounds to choose from, also the picture quality in LP mode is superb still playing around with it at the moment so it's a bit hit and miss.

12. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome :thumbsup: (I´ll tell my contact at JVC Denmark). I guess I can live with having to press a button to access the menu.

Also good news about the picture quality - after all it´s pretty important...:).

How about noise level - is the fan running all the time, or is it only once in a while, and how loud is it ?

I know I can answer all these questions next week myself, but I have now waited about 6 weeks, and I´m getting impatient ;)

13. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike72 what fan? Just kidding, you can hardley hear a thing :D also it has a feature that lets you record a programme that has already started, it's called live memory playback, what it does is it kind of records all the time but dose'nt store it to the hard drive you can set the lenth from 30 mins, 1hr and 3hrs, so if you come home and a programme has started you can then start recording it by useing live memory playback, i hav'nt played about with it much yet but i'm sure i will. :)

14. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good :D about the noise level - I hope I find it as quiet as you (I can see that there are many opinions about this on almost any recorder).

Regarding live memory I have read about it in the manual (which I by the the way don´t find that awful - but maybe it´s just because I´m a recorder-newbie :) ), and the advantage is that to record something you just have to tune the recorder to the correct channel (instead of having to press a 'record'-button). It still records to the HDD (and take up space), but only stores the recording if you so choose. And if it´s on (off by default according to my manual), the HDD is running constantly - but if you can´t hear it anyway it´s fine by me.

By the way: Is there an option to format/defragment the HDD somewhere ?

As I´ve been proven wrong on one of my negatives, perhaps I can be on one of the others:

In my manual the compatible disc versions (under 'Disc Information') is stated as follows:

DVD-RW version 1.1 (1x - 2x speed)
    DVD-R version 2.0 (1x - 4x speed)
    DVD-RAM version 2.0/2.1 (2x speed / 1x - 2x speed)

Does your version have the same specs, or are any of the versions higher (I'm hoping for RW 4x speed) ?

15. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it is not right on the subject.
    Can someone check the manual of JVC MH 30 and tell me for sure is there a DV recording mode (25 MBits/s) on the Hard disc. Recording time should be app. 12 hours.

Thanx

16. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike72 in my manual it's the same spec for the discs, also having problems editing on the hard drive i.e editing out adverts, when you go into edit mode there is nothing there to let you cut them out :rolleyes: also the programmes recorded in LP mode won't let you high speed dub to a 4x dvd-r it does it in real time so could you please hurry up and get your unit so that you can work this out for me :laugh:

17. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - We just have to buy a stock of DVD-RW 2x speed while we can.

I cannot believe that this is not possible - I would guess that you in the navigator first divide the title and then delete the advert-titles.

Strange - and you have not changed the bit-rate ?

I´m doing everything that I can :laugh: - I guess I have it by thursday or friday, and then I´ll get on with testing/trying this baby out.

I´m sorry, but I haven´t seen any references on this in the manual. Are there recorders out there that can do this ?

Garry, I understand you also have (or had) a Panasonic E100, which I have understand is the Rolls-Royce of recorders in terms of tuner-quality, noise level, etc.

Can you state the pros and cons of these two recorders versus each other ?

Regards Mike72

18. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,
    the previous model of JVC HD-S-VHS combo can record in DV mode, which nade absolutly seemlees editing.

EN

19. valliant

valliant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did someone try to burn a dvd-rw 4x on this machine because i am thinking of buying this player and have a lot of dvd-rw 4x

20. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, but whats the advantage? At this bitrate i guess you are severely limitied in terms of space on a disc.

Or is your intention to record in DV-mode to HDD, edit, and archive on dvd in a lower bitrate?

It probably cannot use dvd-rw 4x speed discs (se posts #14 and #16 in this thread).

Regards Mike72

21. valliant

valliant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mike72,

do you know of recorders with harddisc who can burn dvd-rw 4x

thanks

22. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only know of Pioneers new models (520/720 with 80/160 gb hdd), but perhaps there are others out there.

23. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mike72 the differences are this , the panny from day one has worked perfectly, the edditing out of adverts is quick and easy with good results, PQ is ok in LP mode and burns at 4x with Ritek discs no problem, not one coaster. The down side is the fact that it dose'nt take dvd-rw which is a bit of a pain but i must say i can see it coming out of retirement because so far i'm not to impressed with the DRMH 30, yes it's got better picture quality at LP mode but i still have'nt been able to burn a single disc yet at 4x despite trying different brand of 4x media it defaults to 1x even with 2x dvd-rw it defaults to 1x i think it might have something to do with Video Mode which to be honest i don't have a clue about and i don't know if there is such a thing as a setting to turn it off? As for edditing out adverts i really don't think you can do this on the hard drive it says you can do it on the dvd deck only which means on an unfinalised disc but why would you want to do that? Even when i did try this it would'nt let me saying cannot edit this disc? I did what you suggesed about divideing a programme up into different segments then making a playlist out of it for burning but i found this way very annoying with not very good results. When the divided segments where joined you had a pause for about 3secs which did'nt happen on the panny :( any suggestions from anyone would be very greatfull.

24. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi garry

Not very good news. If I´ll not be able to edit out commercials on the HDD in a convenient way (as I think is possible on Panasonic and Pioneer recorders) it´s going back! :mad:

The JVC apparantly only uses "low-speed" discs (which I can live with), but if it cannot even burn at max-speed on those it´s also a downside.

I´m a newbie at this, but I don´t think video-mode should have anything to do with the speed-problems: If there are no options to select burn-speed, I would guess that it always uses the disc´s max-speed.

One of my major reasons for choosing this recorder was also the dvd-rw compability, but there are alternatives out there...

Regards Mike72

25. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rite now i'm feeling pretty gutted about this :censored: i know it's a new machine but i honestly don't think you can edit on the hard drive which seems pretty pointless that means your hard drive would get clogged up if you could'nt edit out things like the start of a programme and comercials, i've spent a small fortune the last couple of days purchasing different types of media but as i said before nothing, i find it hard to belive that JVC would leave out such an important part of a hdd recorder i hope i'm wrong and i'm doing something wrong and someone else with experience of JVC machines points me in the right direction but untill then it's hello panny! :(

26. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I record music videos from air, edit them accuratly and than record on the DVD in lower bit rate and in MPEG 2 GOP format.
    Works very well.

27. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi garry

I have now investigated the matter (unfortunately not live yet), as far as I can tell both Panasonic and Pioneer offer the possibility to edit hdd-content directly, while the new toshiba (xs32) seems to work in a similar way as the JVC - and according to users here the tosh is not a bad choice.

Perhaps you just have to get used to another way of editing - but a poor result cannot be discussed! And I must admit that partial erase sounds convenient, and I cannot understand why JVC has limited this option to only work if you are editing directly on a dvd-disc :( ..

Regards Mike72

28. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mike72, the Toshiba sounds not bad but still the issue of the editing, i got my E100 back today from my freind who has now got the JVC i had forgoton how easy it was to edit out adverts on the E 100 untill i got it back with great results i wonder why only Panasonic have the partial erase function on their machines?

29. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi garry,

I have now had the opportunity to test the machine out, and now I know what you are talking about. The JVC supports partial erase on dvd-rw discs in vr-mode, so I know how it works - and I don´t understand either why a brand new recorder does not support it on the HDD also.

In fact I´ve decided to return it in favor of a recorder that supports partial erase on the HDD - probably Panasonic DMR-E85 or Pioneer DVR-520.

It´s a d... shame because the JVC has a lot going for it in many respects.

30. garry

garry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mike72 it is a real shame about the JVC it has got some great features but sadly no editing on the hard drive, what a shame, i'm now looking at the E95 but i'm going to ask a few questions on here before thinking about jumping in and getting one (more overtime coming up i fear) :suicide: anyway thanks for the posts and advice and let me know which machine you go for and what you think. Cheers :smashin: