JVC DR-MH20S and SKY+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by salfordred, Feb 28, 2005.

1. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the JVC DR-MH20S as my first DVD recorder, as it seems to do everything I need. I know Sky+ has a HDD, but as it never seems big enough, I want the oportunity to transfer some of my recordings to the DVD hard drive, and possibly then put them onto disk. I feel that with having a Sky+ HDD and a DVD HDD.... along with the possibilty to record on a number of formats, it gives me a whole lot of options.

Now for the question...... How easy does this DVD player connect to SKY+ ? There must be people out there with this set-up.

Any advice, or other player options will be very happily received.

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As JVC do not have an RGB input you would be better off choosing another brand.However,if you want to stick with JVC you can use the s-video output on the back of the Sky+ for near RGB results

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Very easily. The S-Video output and left/right audio outputs can be fed to the MH20. However if Sky recording is your prime motivation in getting a DVD recorder then, as Phelings suggests, a model with RGB input such as a Panasonic E85/E95, Toshiba RDXS32 or Pioneer 420/520 might be more suitable to your needs.

For general DVD recorder buying advice take a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature!

4. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions on something in that price range that will do the following ?

Write to
    DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD-RAM

i-link
    DV input

Playback
    DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, SVCD, VCD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3/JPEG, on CD-R/RW

..... and also have a decent playback

..... Oh.... and multi-region

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The Toshiba RDXS32 is the best match - a very popular machine on the forum for very good reasons. Have a look at the specs here. Do note though that iLink and DV input are one and the same - if you are referring to a Digital Video input such as DVI or HDMI then it will be years before any recorder has such an input. And the Toshiba doesn't support SVCD discs.

NB: Link is for reference - you may (or may not) be able to get it cheaper than that!

6. salfordred

salfordred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's spot on mate..... thank you Rasczak (and also thanks to Phelings)