JVC DR-MH200s went bang

sequin

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was transferring a recording from the HD to DVD on my HR200s the other night and it literally blew up! It started sounding like a washing machine full of spanners, then went bang!

I have got lots of stuff recorded on the HD that I don't want to lose, so I was hoping to persuade Asda, who sold it to me, to let me swap the HD over into a replacement machine (I'm sure it's the DVD drive that's blown, and it's still under warranty), but they don't seem to have any in stock anywher in the country.

My next thought was to extract the hard disk and plug itinto my computer and copy the data off. I removed the disk and swapped it over with the drive that's in an external HD I have (coincidentally it was an identical Seagate 160gb unit) and plugged it in to my PC which recognised the disk, but doesn't recognise the format, so I can't get the data off that way!

Has anyone got any ideas? The stuff on the disk includes my first ever appearance on telly, so I would be very dischuffed if I can't retrieve it!

:mad:

sequin said:
I was transferring a recording from the HD to DVD on my HR200s the other night and it literally blew up! It started sounding like a washing machine full of spanners, then went bang!
I'm sure it's the DVD drive that's blown

It's possible a blank disc in the DVD drive has shattered...have you taken the drive out and tried giving it a shake?
This happened to a friend of mine...he had noticed there was a tiny crack on the disc but tried playing it anyway and the symptoms/noise were as you described...I was able to remove the drive casing shake it and get all the disc pieces out...the drive still works okay with no lasting damage.

It's not a faulty DVD disk - I ejected it with a paperclip in the emergency eject hole and it's fine. When I took the lid off there were a couple of small bits of shattered black plastic rattling around in the case - I suspect something failed in the mechanics of the DVD drive, causing it to jam, then blowing something in the power supply, which means the machine is now totally dead - I have checked the internal and external fuses and they are OK.

Asda have found another machine for me at a store about 20 miles away and will refund my petrol if I go to collect it, but said swapping the disks over would void my warranty. I'm trying to get to talk to a manager to plead my case

If I get no joy I may swap the disk with the external one I already have - I'll just have to find enough space to back it up first, then take that back to the shop and swap it for a new one

sequin said:
, but said swapping the disks over would void my warranty. I'm trying to get to talk to a manager to plead my case

So would taking the hdd out, taking the top off your machine and, force ejecting the disc with a paper clip.

why dont you put it all back together, ring jvc and they will give you details of an authorized repair agent who will repair it free of charge under warranty.

as long as the hdd is not at fault then there is no reason you would lose the data.

I've been on the JVC website - it says that if the item is under 12 months old, you must return it to the retailer - they will only get involved if the retailer has gone bust.

As for returning it to get repaired - the last time I did this with a HD recorder (not JVC I must add) I got a different machine back with someone elses programs on it!

Asda do not know I have had the disk out, so have no reason to void the warranty. If I stripped the disks out of two machines while in the shop to swap them over, I think they might know :)

PS - ejecting a disk using a paperclip would not void the warranty - that's what the hole is there for!

i would still ring jvc customer services and tell them you need a local service agent, they should provide you with one and any agent can repair the unit under warranty, alot of these web based dealers do not have there own service dept anyway and would just take it to a local agent.

afaik jvc do not opperate a referb/swap scheme so you should be ok there.

sequin said:
It's not a faulty DVD disk - I ejected it with a paperclip in the emergency eject hole and it's fine. When I took the lid off there were a couple of small bits of shattered black plastic rattling around in the case

Those are part of the case tabs, which break really easy if you are not carefull when removing the case!

You most likely have a component failure on the PSU, contact JVC directly to see if they can assist with a warranty repair to your unit rather then swapping it out and losing your saved stuff.

Justin@UH said:
Those are part of the case tabs, which break really easy if you are not carefull when removing the case!

The case is silver plastic - the bits were black!

I'll try to track down the JVC customer service number - they don't make it easy on their website!

I've just spoken to JVC tech support - they won't touch it unless it comes via Asda as it's less than 12 months old, and Asda have a swap-out arrangement with them - JVC will just replace the machine and send a new one back, losing all of my recorded programs

Looks like I'm stuffed!

oh dear:(

cant believe jvc are going down the swapout road

sequin said:
My next thought was to extract the hard disk and plug itinto my computer and copy the data off. I removed the disk and swapped it over with the drive that's in an external HD I have (coincidentally it was an identical Seagate 160gb unit) and plugged it in to my PC which recognised the disk, but doesn't recognise the format, so I can't get the data off that way!

Has anyone got any ideas? The stuff on the disk includes my first ever appearance on telly, so I would be very dischuffed if I can't retrieve it!

:mad:

It's obviously in Fat32 format rather than ntfs.
Have you tried one of those data recovery programs on the HDD?
Most of them need the drive to be plugged in internally as a slave to work.
http://www.runtime.org/

sequin said:
The case is silver plastic - the bits were black!

The tabs on the bottom retainer are (or were at least on the 20/30/50 which this is based on) black - can you describe what they look like?

sequin said:
I've just spoken to JVC tech support - they won't touch it unless it comes via Asda as it's less than 12 months old, and Asda have a swap-out arrangement with them - JVC will just replace the machine and send a new one back, losing all of my recorded programs

Looks like I'm stuffed!

Bit of a naughty idea, but just remove the old HDD, and either replace it with another HDD, or remove it totally - I remember a customer once did this with a returns to us claiming it was faulty and "stole" the HDD to put in the replacement!

Asda have suggested trying to source one from the internet, and they said they'll compensate me in some way for my time and effort - I have found one quoted at £40 cheaper than I paid at Asda - I'll order it, then a short time after it arrives I'll take the broken one back to Asda for a refund. If I wish really, really hard, maybe somehow magically the data will appear in the new machine;)

As for the tabs - there are none on the 200 - 9 screws (2 on each side, 5 on the back) and the lid just slides off - there are some tangs on the metal cover that fit in slots on the casing, so there's nothing to break off

hottstuff said:
It's obviously in Fat32 format rather than ntfs.
Have you tried one of those data recovery programs on the HDD?
Most of them need the drive to be plugged in internally as a slave to work.
http://www.runtime.org/

It's not Fat32 or NTFS - I suspect it's a proprietary format, or some sort of Unix/Linux disk

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom