JVC DR MH20 Questions. Kinda general though

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andykaz, Jan 4, 2005.

1. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. First post here, but i have been lurking for some time :hiya:

Now that my VCR has given up the will to live, and my Samsung 709 is getting somewhat long in the tooth, i have decided that now is a great time to justify splashing out on a DVDR :D

I have been questioning just how much of a requirement the HDD is if i intend to be getting SKY+ in the future anyway, but i have read many posts indicating that editing and compatability will be greatly improved if i do (understand all this, no probs so far).

There is no way i can justify spending more than circa £300 on a DVDR/HDD however, which really only leaves me the option of the JVC DR MH20 :blush:

Now, i am aware of the lack of an RGB output, but does this mean that if i was to use Sky+, it would work ok using a scart lead in to the non RGB input? Just without the RGB vibrance? Or would the DVDR scart input not even detect the signal from the SKY+ box? I know this is not ideal to the purist, but i genuinely feel that i will not miss what i do not know (only noticed yesterday my scart lead from the NTL box is comming from the non rgb video out).

Second question :rolleyes: , i have searched the forum fully, but cannot find any info on what the dvd editing features are like. Obviously if they are lacking, the whole HDD becomes kind of pointless. Would i be able to edit out adverts etc quickly and painlessly?

And lastly :p Can i transfer the SKY+HDD footage to the HDD on the DVDR (i know the answer to this bit is yes btw), and then highspeed dub the HDD to the DVD-R (i.e. does the "copy of a copy" prevent High speed dub?

Hope someone answers, as this was somthing of a novel :laugh:

Andy

2. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one has any opinions?

Can you delete adverts etc on the HDD using the editing facilities, or can you only create playlists etc? :lease:

3. Blue_Polo

Blue_Polo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy

I've just purchaced a JVC DR-MH30. I'm not sure of the difference between the two, but on mine you can split a recording, & delete one of them (i.e. the adverts at the start of the recording ).

From what I can make out from the manual it should be possible to edit out the adverts - but beware - the manual is one of the worst I've seen. It does not tell you exactly how to do things - I've found that it is easier to look at the manual to see if something is possible, then just pushed buttons till I've found out how to do it!

As I say, I'm not sure of the difference between the models, but a couple of google searches should let you know.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but good luck.

Blue

4. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your reply. It helps a lot, as i have read up on the MH30 (the closest i could get to a review of the MH20) and it seems to imply the only difference is the MH30's 160GB HDD :cool:

Great news to hear that ad's/excess footage etc can be edited out on the HDD before copying to DVD-r; without this function i would have been less than keen.

Cheers again :)

Andy

5. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

I to have a MH30, and yes I agree with Blue Polo it has with worst manual I have ever read.

To edit out ads just create a playlist which creates 'edit in' and 'edit out' points within your program. Then just dub the playlist to your DVD-R, you can dub more than one playlist at a time as long as you do not exceed the max bite rate (ie SP mode 2hrs, two episodes of stargate SG-1 = 84mins).

redheat

6. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually downloaded a copy of the manual (to find out about the editing), and made very little sense of it!

Thanks for your explanation, much clearer

7. videouser

videouser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in here. I am looking at various HDD Recorders. I am interested to know if your edits (JVC DR MH20/ 30) between ads are clean and do not require a lot of work.

I looked at the Tosh X32 but was put off by tech problems and flash frames during the editing. The Panny E85 supposed to be good at editing- but does not have the RW feature!.

Thanks for your feed back.

8. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you'll find similar problems exist on all recorders. Its down to the way Mpeg 2 is encoded and unless the recorder can generate new I frames then you're down to editing at a resolution of about 0.5 sec.. (BTW I'm a happy tosh owner)

9. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    videouser,

When I edit 'Stargate SG-1' I use the black space that appears just after the stargate logo at the ad break and then the black space just before it starts, this gives me a 'clean' edit in/out point (I know I get the program logo). When I did 'the 4400' I edited just before the logo, and had good success with very little problem, but was depended on the scene (characters talking etc) so that is why I have moved to just after the logo.

On the subject of no RGB input, I found that the RGB colour output from my Panasonic DB30 Digibox on my Sony TV was over saturated to the point of being unnatural. So I like the less quality more natural looking standard output.

Redheat

10. grumpycrab

grumpycrab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jumping in to the thread...can you watch a DVD while recording a TV channel to HDD? If you can, I'll buy the JVC (the Liteon 5045 is too buggy for my liking...)
    Thanks
    --
    Ian

11. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grumpycrab,

Yes you can, with my MH30, I set the timer first, then press the DVD button to watch a DVD. The HDD light comes on, and it is then recording while you watch a DVD

12. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC (I've a MX1) does very good edits if you use the real time encoder (rather than high speed dub). As was said above, if you edit MPEG2 footage and then do a high speed dub, then the accuracy is limited to the nearest I Frame (this is the only option for Toshiba, even if the encoding is in realtime, but the others, Pioneer / Panny / JVC have both options). I find that the JVC offers good quality but misses the boat on other issues (I also have Tosh / Panny / Pioneer to compare). The big problem is that as soon as you edit a programme, or create a play-list, then it removes the high speed dub option, which is a bit annoying if it's a BBC programme that's just been 'topped and tailed'.