1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DR-MH20 problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by merrittroad, Feb 14, 2005.

1. merrittroad

merrittroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had problems with the above recorder, mine is three months old and has been in twice now with the following problem, the recorder will work fine for a while and then cease to obey the remote, either locking up or refusing to operate a selected command, or if it does corrupting the screen image and making the screen unviewable, it can only be switched off on the wall socket,refusing to obey either the remote or the faschia on/off button on restart it runs the ``loading command for ages (10+ minutes) and sometimes requires a restart before it will complete the `loading` process
    I was told that this was due to a power spike through my extension socket i have tried it through a powersurge protection extension ane even direct into the wall socket, nothing else on the same circuit plays up, any ideas anyone with the same machine and the same or similar problem ?

2. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a common problem with the JVCs when they encounter a problem with the media. It seems to lose the plot when an error occurs with the disc.

Only workable solution I've found is to unplug it. Re-plug and wait.

My DR-M1 is one year old and was worst in the 1st month, now I only get problems once a month or so.

Ashame really otherwise a very good alternative to the Pannys with the -RW compatibility.

3. Jamesy2004

Jamesy2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this site via search engine after having big probs with my deck. DR-MH20.
    Also had a problem before with the M10.

Any help or others with similiar probs would be greatfully apprietated.

This is the email I sent to JVC on 25/03/2005. I am awaiting a reply which I may post.:

Hi there. I bought the jvc DVD Recorder: DRM10. I had nothing but problem after problem with sound & vision on recodring only. Playback pre-recorded discs. was perfect. Well I got my dealer to swop it over for me i the end to the better DR-MH20 HDD/DVD RECORDER. Perfect at 1st (2 weeks with usage). But now the unit just keeps on crashing. Green lines appear whilst playback from the HDD & when just on the DVD channel when any program is on (such as cable or BBC1 etc.). (This is excatly the same problem I had on the older model as mentioned above. Also programme timer doesnt work (no prob. on the older unit) only recording around 1minute worth of tv when I set it up for 1hr. Crashing wasnt that bad earlier on but now as soon as i have pressed a few buttons on the remote it crashes. To reboot I have to unplug the unit.
    I bought JVC because of the level of quality & durability & the reputation you have. I am certainly not impressed after going thru. 2 different models and having the same problem. They swapped the unit over middle march. All my items are JVC. My home theatre system is JVC. My mum is tempted to buy a DVD Recorder & i did mention to her JVC is the best. Well do I have to take this back? Should I tell her to buy an unknown/cheap make or a Sony or can my faith be restored in JVC? I understand its the Easter break tho I will be expecting a reply in due course from you. All due respect to you, but at the end of the day im so unimpressed with JVC on this issue at present. On the old unit I did have a software upgrade tho. after a few weeks the problem just persisted again. But it was ok at 1st. My years warranty has run out as they did a swop over at the retailer where i bought the unit from. Actually today is the last day. So apart from the sale of goods act (involvin time & money & lawsuits & buerocracy) I would appreiciete your help in this my first contct with you on this issue.

Remember: All help & comments with be appriecated.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The green lines and "LOADING" faults are connected and are have a common cause. It can be fixed with a small modification which is available on the JVC Dealer Website. Your dealer should have access to this. JVC will cover the cost even if the guarantee has expired.

5. Jamesy2004

Jamesy2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou very much! Is it possible you can provide this exact link to me? I have looked around there website but found nothing that I can really download from it except brochures etc. (after writing this just saw that you meant the DEALER SITE, which i obviously wont have access to!) Otherwise I will contact my supplier or/& JVC on Tuesday. Regards.

6. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering what is on the market now I would go for the new Panny ES10. It now has everything the JVC has plus RGB input. Reading from user's comments relibility is better than JVC.

7. Jamesy2004

Jamesy2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, I will look into that one within a week or so. Thanks very much.
    Actually just done it now....... It looks good from the spec but hasnt a hard drive! The Panasonic DMREH50 has an 80gig hard drive. So this one could be an alternative one to buy. Tho. is higher priced then the one you mentioned.
    I like the idea of the RGB input as well as output.
    Then again if you have a plasma or lcd etc. you could use the component cables connection as this improves picture quality. It gives u better blacks n whites making them 100% true colour under hexadecimal standard.

8. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beleive there is a new HD version coming soon that will support -RW as well like the ES10 (and JVC).

9. Jamesy2004

Jamesy2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In relation to my original problem I have only recently got a response from JVC. Listed below! :

Thank you for your e-mail. This symptom is due to a faulty component and
    our technical support dept are aware of this and has the hardware upgrade
    for it. As after sales service(12 months warranty) operates through the
    dealer, we would recommend you contact your dealer from whom the purchased was made.
    They will arrange service under the terms of the guarantee.

Your dealer will be aware of our technical support service, who will offer
    every assistance to ensure that an effective repair is made.

When requesting service, you will need to have a copy of your sales receipt
    available.

JVC (U.K.) Ltd
    Customer Service Dept.

Before I got this I took the unit back to hillsof hove: shopathills.co.uk & they didnt just swop it over for a brand new replacemnet but competely free of chrage the multi-regioned enabled the unit for me.

I thought this was fantastic customer service. I was very impressed & recommend evryone who lives around the Brighton area to try them out. & if you dont maybe do busines via there web site.

Well my problem is now solved. As this unit works fantastically! No problems to date! :thumbsup: :clap: