JVC DR-MH 300 and widescreen switching

C

chrisnewbold

Hi everyone.

I have this JVC model set up as a loop-through system, sky plus to L2 (set to sat RGB), DVD L1 to TV AV1 (set to RGB).

The JVC being in the middle of the daisy chain like this appears to affect the auto and widescreen switching from the sky box. For example I can no longer press SKY to 'jog' the TV into switching to AV1. Also the signal received by the DVDR is always 4x3 anamorphic ie the flag is not picked up by the DVD R as it would be if connected directly to TV. So any watching of sky or recording of sky via the box is in this format. I have to manually toggle through the TVs widescreen settings to set it to 16x9 then of course switch to a 4x3 broadcast and have to switch back! Playback from the HDD is the same too, so I assume there is no W/S flag recorded and therefore none will transfer to DVD if dubbed. I think all my box settings are ok ie TV is set to 16:9 auto on both units etc.

Does anyone have a similar set up and are there any workarounds or am I stuck with continually manually selecting channels and adjusting the aspect ratio?

Thanks

Chris

Both symptoms - auto selection and widescreen - suggest that pin 8 of the SCART is not reaching the TV from the Sky box. It's not clear where the break is, so to narrow it down, what happens if you play a purchased widescreen DVD? If this works, the problem is with the Sky connection, most likely because you are using the wrong SCART on the Sky box (only the TV SCART is usable as that's the only one with pin 8 out).

If playing a commercial DVD doesn't work correctly, the problem has to be the SCART lead from the JVC to the TV.

These functions definitely should work on the JVC, including recording the widescreen flag. However if using the RGB SCART out of the JVC, you will suffer from the Red Shift Problem mentioned on the other thread.

Thanks David.

Commercial DVds are flagged and fine, so it's not an output problem.

Sky box is set to RGB and SCART control is on. I know the sky box is outputting pin 8 info beacuse if I plug it directly into the TV all functions are restored!

I am using the Sky TV scart socket to line 1 (RGB capable) of my TV.

I've tried 2 different scart leads - both 'look' fully wired ie. pin 8 wired!

Looks like it could be a fault.

David, can you confirm - do you have a JVC and does it work on yours? Anybody? JVC are telling me it should work, so I am assuming it's a fault not just 'the way it is'. Would be great to get some confirmation from another user as I'm not 100% confident about JVC technical!

I think I have sorted it.

Tried a third scart lead and ensured everything was connected well. Now it seems to work as follows:

I still can't jog the TV to switch to AV 1 by pressing sky when I turn the tv on for the first time, as it would if directly connected. This means hunting for the philips tv remote to press ext or pressing channel down about 5 times as AV1 is the furthest channel down the line! Minor annoyance but I can live with it. I wish I could somehow set my tv to show AV1 by default!

Also I can't get the JVC itself to switch to AV1 on turning it on, which I would've expected. My old DVd player would do that. Again a minor annoyance which means I have to change channels manually, slightly defeating the object of connecting by scart.

Most importantly the flagging issue is solved - When the DVd recorder is set to video and is monitoring, pic is always 4:3 (and presumably is supposed to be for monitoring recordings only) but it does now record the flag, so played back progs are ok, crucially. Also using the TV button will show the TV 'pass through' signal which will switch aspect ratios accordingly!

:thumbsup:

And thanks for your help, David, which prompted me to go and have another look at things!

Yes, it all works for me. I have Monitor Type set to '16:9 AUTO', L1 output set to 'SCART RGB' and L2 input set to 'SAT VIDEO/RGB' and the widescreen switching works, both live and via record/playback. Also it will loop through correctly with the JVC in standby.

Edit: Whoops, our posts crashed each other! Stand by, checking your latest points...

chrisnewbold said:
I still can't jog the TV to switch to AV 1 by pressing sky when I turn the tv on for the first time, as it would if directly connected.
Depends whether the Sky box is active already, before pressing Sky. If it's already active, pressing Sky does nothing. If the Sky box is in standby or TV has been pressed on the handset, pressing Sky re-selects it on the TV.
Also I can't get the JVC itself to switch to AV1 on turning it on, which I would've expected.
If the JVC is in standby and looping through Sky, and the Sky box is active, switching the JVC on will not select it on the TV because it is already selected so pin 8 won't change. If however the Sky box is in standby, switching the JVC on will select it on the TV (pin 8 changes), however the JVC remains in loopthrough so it is looping through nothing (until I select a menu or whatever). :confused:

Aha!

by the way, what exactly does this red shift mean and should I be worried about using RGB out?

Take a close look at one of the menus, you may be able to see a red fringe to the right of every vertical line. This is caused by the red signal being delayed by one pixel relative to green and blue. This only affects RGB output, not component or HDMI. I would be interested to know if you get this - a couple of forum members have already confirmed it. I asked JVC about this in early January, but no response. :mad: Our friend Gary on the forum (who works for JVC) managed to get me an acknowledgement from them, but since then despite a reminder I have heard nothing. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom